Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Wireless Upgrade

• 18-05-2006 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Getting a laptop soon so I wanted to upgrade to a wireless modem. I was on to BT anyway and they told me the upgrade is free. If you request it your contract is extended by 6 months and you must return the wired modem within 2 weeks of receiving the wireless one.

Anyway, can anyone tell me exactly what wireless model BT are using? Is there any chance it has a USB connection too? My PC has no network/wireless card, so I'd have to install one of these otherwise.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

DS wrote:
    Getting a laptop soon so I wanted to upgrade to a wireless modem. I was on to BT anyway and they told me the upgrade is free. If you request it your contract is extended by 6 months and you must return the wired modem within 2 weeks of receiving the wireless one.

Anyway, can anyone tell me exactly what wireless model BT are using? Is there any chance it has a USB connection too? My PC has no network/wireless card, so I'd have to install one of these otherwise.

An ethernet card for you pc should not cost you more than 15 euros absolute max.

http://komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10287

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Diabolus wrote:
    Close enough:p
    I knew it one of the 660's but not which one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Its ok i still love you :p

dub45 wrote:
    An ethernet card for you pc should not cost you more than 15 euros absolute max.

http://komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10287
    Yea I had a look at those ones already. I'll pick one of them up if one of the local shops has nothing cheaper to offer. Now the only problem is what to return this 660RU in, cos I'm pretty sure that box is long gone.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

DS wrote:
    Yea I had a look at those ones already. I'll pick one of them up if one of the local shops has nothing cheaper to offer. Now the only problem is what to return this 660RU in, cos I'm pretty sure that box is long gone.

Saw some in Peat's at the weekend for a tenner! could you not use the box they send you the wireless modem in?

Yes thats a very logical suggestion, I'll do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

DS wrote:

Where did u see it for free? On the website it says you have to pay €40 for it. I'm asking cuz i'm probably going to be switching over to esatBT 3mb and was thinking about the wireless upgrade too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 GuyIncognito

So if I get the wireless modem from BT, can I use it as a wired modem too?

My PC isn't wireless enabled but I have a laptop which is. Most of the internet usage will be on the PC and the laptop will be used only some of the time.

What are my options considering that I want wired broadband for the PC and wireless for the laptop?

EDIT: also considering that I want BT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

So if I get the wireless modem from BT, can I use it as a wired modem too?

My PC isn't wireless enabled but I have a laptop which is. Most of the internet usage will be on the PC and the laptop will be used only some of the time.

What are my options considering that I want wired broadband for the PC and wireless for the laptop?

EDIT: also considering that I want BT
    According to the link provided by Diabolus above, the P-660HW has 4 ethernet ports in addition to the wireless support.

Advertisement