Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete Idiots Guide to Online Investing

Options
  • 18-05-2006 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Has anyone used this book?

The complete idiots guide online investing.

I've used others in the series and they are okay but it's a bit different when you are using hard earned cash to follow the advice!

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

no replies yey, so here is my contribution...

buy low, sell high
    quit while your ahead
    know when to hold, and when to fold

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

erm, here are a few more...

Buy on rumour, sell on news
    Buy when people are scared, sell when people are greedy. (or something to that effect)

as for the book I'm afraid I don't have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Thanks guys ;)

Really sound advice, is that from the "Ann and Barry guide to Investing"? ;)

Just kidding :p

I wondered was it any good because I have read one of the "Rich Dad" books and to be honest there were so many inaccuracies and anachronisms in his stories that I would tend to be sceptical. Also, when I bit a bit of in-depth web searching I discovered a few sites throwing the wisdom of Mr Kobayashi into doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Complete Idiot's Guide to Investing.

Haven't read the book, but have read a lot of investing books.

Looking at the table of contents of this book at amazon.com it seems from the terms used that this book is specifically written for a US or UK audience. I cant decide which audience, but it is definitely not for an Irish audience. This means that much of the advice will be irrelevant to you.

Anything about pension plans, mutual fund rankings, online providers etc will not necessarily to applicable to your needs because of different tax treatments and online availability.

This is the first reason not to buy this book.

The second reason not to buy this book, is because it is very very basic. One of the reviews on amazon noted that most of the information is already available online for free. Why not try fool.co.uk, or the investorama website run by author of this book? You should be able to get most of the information contained in the book, without having to pay for it.

If you have any investment knowledge then i would recommend that you look for a better book that has an established reputation as an investment 'tome'.

Maybe have a look at the earlier thread in this forum where people talked about their favourite investment book. I think a book called 'invest like the pros' was a hot favourite.

Essentially, as i am sure you are aware, there is no difference between online investing and offline investing. (apart from, maybe, cost). Both forms of investing rely on you buying a good stock at a good price. That makes this book seem a bit gimicky. I'd give it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Thanks for that RoundTower2. Good info. One point, I'm Irish, living in the UK so UK oriented books are fine for me.

Secondly, I'm a regular visitor to fool.co.uk so that's okay
    It looks as if "Complete idiots..." would be too basic for me alright but sometimes it helps to get some basics in, I'd like to learn how to walk before I run (so to speak!). I'll have a look at the other threads, cheers.

Feel free to lock, delete this thread. as it doesn't look as though anyone has a copy of the book or is willing to recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

as Homer Simpson might say ... d'oh ... seeing from your location in Cambridge

Advertisement