Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

outdoor court in or around cork city

Options
  • 18-05-2006 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

anybody know of any outdoor basketball courts that are open to the public in or around cork city, Passage west/ douglas wilton???

cheers

Mac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 maherprobasket

A new court,s just been built on a green area opposite the presentation sister,s convent at Farranree.I hav,nt taken time out to look at it closely and
    discover it,s availability situation yet but will do it over the weekend and reply
    here.The parochial hall at Gurranabraher is usuallly during Summer (Tuesday nights beginning about 7 p.m.) period the venue for semi-organized scrimmages involving current N/L Superleague players and a mix of everyone with the confidence to get on there and rough it.It has dropped off in terms of the numbers competing in recent years (with blue demons players now playing out of the mardyke arena) so I will check on it too.The ("Boggy")Centrepark Road did have a useful outdoor court up to the time Cork,s Main Drainage scheme works began....the space is still there but the court covered in soil/overgrown with grass....I don,t know what the if any plan exists to rebuild the court.
    Knocknaheeny did have when they were new two beautifully situated and
    very well designed and built outdoor courts in an area between The Super-Valu shopping centre and Apple Computer,s Complex at Hollyhill.The courts are still there though the baskets and boards are not functional.The Government,s development plan for Knocknaheeny (it,s already under way as
    there,s a major refurbishment currently being undertaken to many houses in the area) will surely cover these courts in some fashion or other in terms at least of the courts being recovered/or the area being redeveloped in some way.
    I will e-mail acontact I have at Cork City Council,s Recreation,Amenity & Culture Directorate for the bigger picture and again post the information here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 scrub1

thanks for that. i haven't paid for a good few years and am just looking for a spot to mess around in the evenings when the weather improves. I don't think that i am up to national league standard in both skill and fitness but i will checkout farranree... and possibly Gurranabraher when i find out if i have any skill or fitness left in me

Thanks again

Hi Scrub 1....The court on the green at Farranree does,nt have a tarmacaddam/concrete surface yet (I don,t know if there,s a plan to do it yet) it,s simply gravel and unsuitable toplay on.
    There,s a court situated between the roundabout at C.U.H. AND "Lidl" at Togher (practically at Wilton I guess).(it,s also has a single basket fixed to suit as a Mini-basket.
    Yes fitness is a factor with me too and to this end how about getting a Summer League Going here at Cork......I have the experience of organizing along these line in the past and right now have the available time and resources to do it.A possible forum to look at here locally as it has basketball
    content particularly during the playing season is www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com

On another but possibly related matter,I,m looking at Fas (The training authority www.fas.ie) and actually will meet with someone there tomorrow (Bishopstown) to talk about possibly integrating my program there.An idea of mine is to integrate my teamsystem for basketball as it,s content incorporates
    a situation whereby lifeskills learning can be a by-product of players operating my (and by implication their,s teamsystem)...a part of my program involves players learning team skills that teaches/incorporates the value of appreciating other peoples positions and also the value of being able to step outside of yourself, the team too and have an overview.Another learning area teaches players to expand their sensory awareness (become more adept listners)(better able to translate feeling sense out there on the basketball floor/court as an aid to better decision making)(The visual plane is important here too....check my workshop details at The N.C.T.C.,S 1999 "Good Coaching Makes a Difference" where I elaborated on "Fine centering" / "Soft Centering" and it,s relevancy to basketball players.Like a world class p.g. such as Steve Nash of the Phoenix Suns (www.suns.com) will have this skill "Down" (and remember any wannabe Irish N.B.A./ W.N.B.A. players if it,s a skill and it is ...with the right strategies and an effective trainer ...you...it can be modeled successfully ) and be doing it automatically or unconsciously as my former teamate/player coach now an assistant at N.C.,s "Wolfpack" Coach Pete Strtickland would say.

You say you may not be at Superleague level !!! How would you know ? (this is a question about what would be an evidence procedure for you to know if you do have what it takes to play Superleague) Many of Today,s Superleague players are pretty incomplet in terms of having mastered the game,s Fundamentals and make teams much of the time because they are pretty god at one or two particular aspects and the team doesn,t have a strategy / coaching policy that gives attention to player development within the team,(a brilliant example of what needs to be incorporated here (Ireland,s Superleagues.......and hurry up Irish Superleague Teams and make me a coaching job offer before you lose the "goose that lay,s golden eggs" take note that coaching certificates and higher than necessary coaching c.v.,s are are given the nature and structure of the game on this Island actually attracting coach,s that quite simply would not get a nose in the door of better basketball programs) was the U.S.A.,s recent participation at The Albert Schweitzer u19 Tournament in Mannheim Germany with Coach Richard Mc Cann where although the U.S.A. team did not win or even finish very highly all of the players came away from the tournament having learned much,much more than their playing counterparts even ahead of both Finalists a situation within which The U.S.A. players can only benefit more from down the line )Ger Noonan i.e. and I know Ger will not mind me mentioning this is really quick (a skill related component of fitness) a good defender too capable of guarding any import player 1v1 he,s come up against since playing Superleague.Some limitations Ger carries though are very poor shot selection,an insistance on going for put-back opportunities on his rebounds (and he pulls down a fair share given his size) when the "smart" thing to do is take it back out to the point have a good look,listen in in and calibrate feeling wise...this simple addition to his game can bring up his stock quite a few & points.

Just this week I noticed a new court being constructed at the playground / park on St Colmcille Road Gurranabraher. It,s literally a stones throw from the Gurranabraher Hall.The court is a model of the court just gone up at Farranree
    and the men constructing it assured me it,s going to have a tarmacadam
    surface. So I am now assuming the court at Farranree will have a tarmacadam
    finish also.The Park closes in the evening,s at approximately 6.pm wintertime.
    I will read the posted notices on all year opening / closing times and post here

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

There are two public courts opposite the lidl in togher.There is a playground,football pitch,the courts are in the far corner looking from tsb bank.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 gger

There is an outdoor court in togher....just across from from llide

There is an indoor court in ballyphehane community centre.

Open session mondays 9-1030. All welcome.Fathers Mathews basketball club.
    We run 2 mens teams....... alot nearer that the north side

If you directions e mail me gergibbons@hotmail.com

Advertisement