Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Milage on speedo not matching up...?

Options
  • 18-05-2006 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭

I was at a someone house yesterday gerring parts off a crashed car.
    I was also interested in the engine so i asked what is the milage on it?
    110K was on the speedo. looked at the engine and on top of the timing belt cover was written 121K. I presume that means that timingbelt was changed at this milage.

My brother changed his speedo an his audi between NCT's with less milage and it wasnt noticed. His most recent NCT cert has milage less than the previous one. I took mine off the other day to replace bulbs its not difficult.

My question is how does someone Know when buying a second hand car that the engine is the origonal or that the speedo part of the dash wasnt changed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Its very hard to know and clocking is becoming more and more of an issue. Check NCT's, service stickers under the bonnet and anything written in a service book. Check gearknob, pedal rubber, door handles and upholstery for wear that looks worse than expected. Always suspect the worst.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

A dodgy dealer gets a bit muddled if you ask a few quick questions in succession as he tries not to contradict himself. They also tend to get annoyed if you query them - doesn't usually happen with a genuine seller.

Always be prepared to walk away no matter how much you like the car.

And the golden rule when telephoning a private ad - always say "I'm ringing about the car". A dealer will be forced to say "Eh, which one?".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

JoeySully wrote:
    looked at the engine and on top of the timing belt cover was written 121K.
    It's possible that the t/belt cover was replaced with a second hand one at some stage.................or that the 121k indicates the when the belt needs to be changed next. Normal convention is to write the mileage when it was last changed. Could be a number of reasons but I'd be a bit suspect myself tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

JoeySully wrote:
    My brother changed his speedo an his audi between NCT's with less milage and it wasnt noticed. His most recent NCT cert has milage less than the previous one.

Well he'll find it hard to sell the car cos a dealer wont wont it and private buyer with any sense will want to see certs. Why the hell would he clock the car? It's stupid, it f*cks up the cars history and resale value, especially with certs to proove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Its a 92 audi 80 td
    he has a crahed spare one with engine and g box so he wont be changing it until it fails NCT of it end up in a ditch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

JoeySully wrote:
    Its a 92 audi 80 td
    he has a crahed spare one with engine and g box so he wont be changing it until it fails NCT of it end up in a ditch

That's alright then if he was just doing it to see it he could on an old car. But it gets to me when dealers do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

steve06 wrote:
    That's alright then if he was just doing it to see it he could on an old car. But it gets to me when dealers do it.
    The speedometer actually broke so he had to change it.
    Im just surprised that there is no check in the NCT that checks that the milage is less than the last time you came in. not a safety issue i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Well this is why reputable dealers are now getting very picky about the cars they take in. If it is a high value car it must have an established service history at a reputable dealer !

Dont forget it wasn't just folk in the motor trade that falsified mileages, many traders got stung too by private punters scamming the mileage !

In the UK service history, combined with MOT is paramount !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

JoeySully wrote:
    The speedometer actually broke so he had to change it.
    Im just surprised that there is no check in the NCT that checks that the milage is less than the last time you came in. not a safety issue i suppose

It's not illegal to "clock" a car nor is it illegal to sell a "clocked" car. It is only illegal not to inform the prospective buyer that the car has been "clocked".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Litcagral wrote:
    It's not illegal to "clock" a car nor is it illegal to sell a "clocked" car. It is only illegal not to inform the prospective buyer that the car has been "clocked".

It is not illegal to clock a car true. It is illegal however to knowingly sell a car that has been clocked.

Have a watch of - http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/1205/primetime.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Litcagral wrote:
    And the golden rule when telephoning a private ad - always say "I'm ringing about the car". A dealer will be forced to say "Eh, which one?".

Did that last week. Heres's how it went.

Me: I'm calling about the car.
    Them: Which car?
    Me: The Mercedes
    Them: Which one?

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement