Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Timer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd imagine that the timer will do the job. It will depend on whether how you have the sink/bath switch set. If you want to time the bath element at different times to the sink element you will probably need a 2 channel timer. Check to make sure your bath element is rated 3kW or less for use with the timer you listed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i've fitted lots of them for gold-shield homes where theres two single immersions.in your case it'll likely replace the existing switch .its's two channel but the second channel is just a boost for washing dishes etc so that'll likely switch the sink element with the timed channel controlling the bath side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Just been reading up on the manuals on the Horstmann site.
    i figure that if I connect the timed circuit to the bath element and the boost circuit to the sink, it should work properly.

Am i correct in saying that the bath element will heat the whole tank as it heats from the bottom up and hot water rises so circulating the entire tank and the sink element just heats the top as the water cannot rise so the bottom stays cold??

Cheers for the replies!!!

ya thats it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Just been reading up on the manuals on the Horstmann site.
    i figure that if I connect the timed circuit to the bath element and the boost circuit to the sink, it should work properly.

Am i correct in saying that the bath element will heat the whole tank as it heats from the bottom up and hot water rises so circulating the entire tank and the sink element just heats the top as the water cannot rise so the bottom stays cold??

Cheers for the replies!!!
    sounds like you have it sorted;)

• Advertisement

Reading the manual on this timer, it seems the shorts switching time is 4 hours. I wonder if this is too long? How long does a typical tank take to heat up using the bath element?
    Is the electricty rate cheaper here in Ireland?

Ta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

1 hour for the bath - shorter in summer an longer in winter.

Approx €0.43 (3 units)

10-15 minutes for the shower

Approx €0.06 (0.4 unit)

Reading the manual on this timer, it seems the shorts switching time is 4 hours. I wonder if this is too long? How long does a typical tank take to heat up using the bath element?
    Is the electricty rate cheaper here in Ireland?

Ta.
    i forgot to say.the timed section is fixed to come on for 3 or 4 hours every 24
    it's really designed for night saver/gold shield where the cylinder is fully heated at night on cheap rate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

davelerave wrote:
    i forgot to say.the timed section is fixed to come on for 3 or 4 hours every 24
    it's really designed for night saver/gold shield where the cylinder is fully heated at night on cheap rate

Sounds like a waste of money.

Set it to suit your own requirements. Perhaps an hour on Bath in the morning before you get up to heat up the whole cylinder.

Reyman wrote:
    Sounds like a waste of money.

Set it to suit your own requirements. Perhaps an hour on Bath in the morning before you get up to heat up the whole cylinder.
    you can't. it's specifically made for nightsaver .heats the cylinder at night-rate for a few hours with a manual boost during the day.it's a quality timer but you might need to consider night-saver for this timer

• Advertisement

davelerave wrote:
    you can't. it's specifically made for nightsaver .heats the cylinder at night-rate for a few hours with a manual boost during the day.it's a quality timer but you might need to consider night-saver for this timer

Any recommendations for a quality timer that has shorter switching times?
    I've seen ones in the local hardware shop, but they seem very light quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

The flash immermat time switch is a quality one ~€25 in an elec wholesalers.
    There is a teac one, but I find them crap.

Sparky-s wrote:
    The flash immermat time switch is a quality one ~€25 in an elec wholesalers.
    There is a teac one, but I find them crap.

Sparky... why do you say the teac ones are crap? I just bought one in Woddies yesterday :( 33euro!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Sparky... why do you say the teac ones are crap? I just bought one in Woddies yesterday :( 33euro!!!

In my experience they dont tend to last as long. But it all varies.
    It doesn't mean it wont work, you can trust it, but I like using the Flash ones. :)

A customer one time told me she got charged €45 for a flash timer in woodies, and it was the old model.

Advertisement