Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Irish DJ

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 LowTek

Sunil Sharpe, Francois and Rob Moore are all pretty good. A shout should also go to Derek F.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

Sunil Sharpe for Techo
    Simon Conway for the sleazy Italo-Disco
    I'm liking DancePig as a producer at the moment but thats going off topic...

-A

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

PRman wrote:
    Mark Kavanagh was brilliant in his day. Anyone remember the 4th Dimension? Mad bast*rds!!

4th Dimension... :D bezzie mates of mine from home... funny every time people bring this up...

Yous wanna have been in killarney in 1991 (jesus that long ago) when they invited Prodigy down to play... the town hadn't a clue what hit it :D

Newspapers next day "Never again... " blah blah

-A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bill.fogarty

Robbie Butler is right good, any one know where you can get any of his sets?

Any clue where to get any Johnny Moy sets? Saw him support Mylo in waterford and he was nearly better than him...would love to hear some of there sets again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 IceBox

warren k class:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cribos

I dont remember(not saying he didnt) Mick ever playing there and i played there for 3 years nearly every Friday(Harp) and Saturday in Tin pan alley!!

I remember friday nights in the Harp, (Subzero). Mick was always on form.[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭aidan kelly

I've quite a few favourite Irish DJs, so I'll list them here:

1. Billy Scurry - Brilliant selector of innovative music, excellent mixer and probably the most versatile DJ I've ever seen bar none. In my view, Billy Scurry is the most talented DJ this country has ever produced.

2. Fish Go Deep - A very close second. Musically or technically I don't think either Greg or Shane are better than Billy, but they create an amazing atmosphere wherever they play. Outstanding DJs.

3. Brian Chamberlain - Power FM were responsible for me getting into soulful music, and Brian Chamberlain is one of the best garage DJ's I've ever heard. His contribution to the Dublin scene was immense.

4. Shay Hannon - I've had so many good nights listening to Shay Hannon play that he'd have to be in a top ten of Irish DJ's for me. Blue at the Kitchen was the best house night Dublin has ever seen (with loose in the POD being a close second).

5. Mucca - Another Langer from Leeside, this guy plays beautiful soulful house music. Definitely one of the most under-rated DJs out there.

6. Steffan Hoffman - Steff played the deepest of deep house in Dublin. A great DJ and a lovely guy as well, I've always made an effort to check out his sets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cribos

My Favs Change, Different DJ's @ Different times, but from 92-96 here are mine:
    1. Mark Dixon
    2. Liam dollard
    3. Dave McDonnell
    4. Pat Hyland
    5. Tony Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Havent seen any votes for Tony Fenton on here?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Philly.p

Warren.k for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bondango

I've quite a few favourite Irish DJs, so I'll list them here:

1. Billy Scurry - Brilliant selector of innovative music, excellent mixer and probably the most versatile DJ I've ever seen bar none. In my view, Billy Scurry is the most talented DJ this country has ever produced.

2. Fish Go Deep - A very close second. Musically or technically I don't think either Greg or Shane are better than Billy, but they create an amazing atmosphere wherever they play. Outstanding DJs.

3. Brian Chamberlain - Power FM were responsible for me getting into soulful music, and Brian Chamberlain is one of the best garage DJ's I've ever heard. His contribution to the Dublin scene was immense.

4. Shay Hannon - I've had so many good nights listening to Shay Hannon play that he'd have to be in a top ten of Irish DJ's for me. Blue at the Kitchen was the best house night Dublin has ever seen (with loose in the POD being a close second).

5. Mucca - Another Langer from Leeside, this guy plays beautiful soulful house music. Definitely one of the most under-rated DJs out there.

6. Steffan Hoffman - Steff played the deepest of deep house in Dublin. A great DJ and a lovely guy as well, I've always made an effort to check out his sets.

Was just Browsing and found this Thread - so sorry for reserecting it.

Im from Belfast, and spent many nites in sides, asylum, Temple of Sound - Ormond.
    I agree with what people have said, but theres one missing from the lists - can anyone remember the Holy trinity back then....MOY - SCURRY - ?????

Well that ???? was a Belfast Dj Called Stevie Mckenna, and without any Doubt in my mind, was the most influential, crowd pleasing, tecnically proficent dJ that ever left a lasting impression on me.
    Im 40 now, and have never been moved the way Mckenna managed to move me..His sets were simply mind blowing, and back then he wasnt a youngster either, he had a mature elctronic head on his sholders and feck me did it show in his sets..

I used to stand at the DJ booth in the Ormond with a wee guy from dublin who done the sound/vision, every weekend we shared a few Pints togather (forget his name), and we were always Blown away by at least 4 tracks in his sets that were totally new to us.

One of them nights is still fresh in mind when he played Abfarhts - Come into my life, that sound system was amazing when it had the right track thrown at it - and that was one of them tracks :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭verdidnt

easy....Calvin James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gpromo

personally I think Luke Logan has to be up there if not the best techno dj around at the minute. If you dont believe me checj invisibleagent.com and download his sets!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Jaysus how come my old threads keep getting resurrected :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 chalky76

Walshy was the main driving force in dance taking off in 93/94....He got the sides/asylum ball rolling,Pressure & Warren are good freinds of his & Mick personally rates Warren as a world class DJ....However back in the day Mick used to draw great crowds whereever he played....for instance a wholeload of us in 95 used to meet in Finglas on saturday evenings & get a coach up to Dundalk(about 100) to Pa"s where mick had a brief recidency....Mick"s a top bloke,remember him doing sets on a friday in The Harp,whole load of us used to spend hours in his studio in his house in finglas getting stoned with mick ripping the decks & fair play he used to let us on them,used to spend hours in his shop near Abbey Discs by the bridge...A real gentlemen,live in London now & havent seen any of the lads for years & i wish them all well...UTAH SAINTS STAR (union jack)12"...Walshy allways used to play this & i LOVED it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

Completely agree with that and whoever mentioned Steve McKenna was spot on too. I think its fair to say that Mick & Pat would've been completely outclassed when it came to progress sounds or mixing ability however they were able to rocks sides in the later years - so hats off to them.

I think Billy Scurry and Johnny Moy were buying records that very few other DJs in the country would play (or could even get their hands on for that matter).

There were other DJs whose mixing was absolute perfection e.g Paddy Sherdian but they would rely for most part on banging out the classics. Which is great too - where the other boys had the edge is that they not only knew what to do in terms of mixing, track selection and building sets. They also played sh!t you didn't know but it just worked very very well......and thats what I think makes a good dj.

My 2 cents.

& everyone has their own opinion.....I was a Mick Walsh groupie as a young fella so i will allways be pro Walshy,however i can tell you honestly that MW used to fly to London every week for records,his sister worked/s for Aer Lingus & he used to get free flights to London,sometimes he would get his pal to drive over & meet him the other end at some obscure record warehouse & fill up with records for sale at his old shop near the hapeney bridge(used to be inside a mall)......in hindsight yeah Mick wasnt the best mixer but his hunger/energy/foresight around 94-97 was topclass,promoting gigs left,right & centre & as i previously stated he gave Eddie/Warren their break......FFS Mick & Warren were the Asylum at the beggining,stories he used to tell about that place were eyeopening,Ballyer tried to make a fool of him by not paying,mick & warren were all set to walk out & leave when sence prevailed & they got there money,afterall how else were Ballyphermot going to sell their yolkes with no music to dance too....!!The norm the next week & every week after was double Bubble for the DJ"s & allways at the start of the night instead of the end.......He also helped alot of young DJ"s to get a foot on the ladder,never scared to throw in a 19yr old novice jock as his warm up,personally making sure their name was ALLWAYS on the flyer credits & giving them a few quid from his pocket which he didnt have to do....My favourite track of all time was his sign off tune about 96/97 UTAH SAINTS (STAR) 12"Union Jack mix.....An animal of a track that used to get venue"s up & down the country rocking..!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭DUB1

chalky76 wrote:
    & everyone has their own opinion.....I was a Mick Walsh groupie as a young fella so i will allways be pro Walshy,however i can tell you honestly that MW used to fly to London every week for records,his sister worked/s for Aer Lingus & he used to get free flights to London,sometimes he would get his pal to drive over & meet him the other end at some obscure record warehouse & fill up with records for sale at his old shop near the hapeney bridge(used to be inside a mall)......in hindsight yeah Mick wasnt the best mixer but his hunger/energy/foresight around 94-97 was topclass,promoting gigs left,right & centre & as i previously stated he gave Eddie/Warren their break......FFS Mick & Warren were the Asylum at the beggining,stories he used to tell about that place were eyeopening,Ballyer tried to make a fool of him by not paying,mick & warren were all set to walk out & leave when sence prevailed & they got there money,afterall how else were Ballyphermot going to sell their yolkes with no music to dance too....!!The norm the next week & every week after was double Bubble for the DJ"s & allways at the start of the night instead of the end.......He also helped alot of young DJ"s to get a foot on the ladder,never scared to throw in a 19yr old novice jock as his warm up,personally making sure their name was ALLWAYS on the flyer credits & giving them a few quid from his pocket which he didnt have to do....My favourite track of all time was his sign off tune about 96/97 UTAH SAINTS (STAR) 12"Union Jack mix.....An animal of a track that used to get venue"s up & down the country rocking..!!
    spot on they all got there tunes off mick as he was bringing in da tunes u cudnt get in abby or anywhere selling da tunes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

chalky76 wrote:
    Walshy was the main driving force in dance taking off in 93/94....He got the sides/asylum ball rolling,Pressure & Warren are good freinds of his & Mick personally rates Warren as a world class DJ....However back in the day Mick used to draw great crowds whereever he played....for instance a wholeload of us in 95 used to meet in Finglas on saturday evenings & get a coach up to Dundalk(about 100) to Pa"s where mick had a brief recidency....Mick"s a top bloke,remember him doing sets on a friday in The Harp,whole load of us used to spend hours in his studio in his house in finglas getting stoned with mick ripping the decks & fair play he used to let us on them,used to spend hours in his shop near Abbey Discs by the bridge...A real gentlemen,live in London now & havent seen any of the lads for years & i wish them all well...UTAH SAINTS STAR (union jack)12"...Walshy allways used to play this & i LOVED it!!

ahahaaaa....f*cking legend....I used never miss Pa's, smallest bloody club in the country.
    Walsh was great...still have a tape or two someplace. Al Gibbs did a guest set or two at Pa's as well.

But I was one for heading up north when I was into the scene....best DJ's for me, Glen Molloy and Robbie Nelson.
    Currently? I'm so out of touch with clubbing now and it's branched off in so many directions so I can't really say...remember a cracker of set from Phil Kiernan at the last creamfields that was just outstanding.

David Holme's first EM is still a joy to behold, but like someone above mentioned he went all funky and 70's on us and lost the techno....shame...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Currently top of my list would be Calvin James, Greg Wilson and Billy Scurry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭damiennolan

Eh.....

I've looked through this thread and I cannot believe no-one has mentioned Mark McCabe.

Whats wrong with this country!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

no-one has mentioned Mark McCabe.

He'd be my favourite producer alright :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 dj pj

mr spring and john power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

chalky76 wrote:

I thought Mick was driving a taxi thesedays not in London unless he's moved only recently?

Indeed Mick was one of the finest DJ's in Ireland back in the day but the dance scene started here around 1989 (allbeit very small) i remember being told about an illegal warehouse acid house party down the docks,i was starting to take a big interest in the scene then but it was 1990 when i became a "fully fledged raver" as it were:D without wanting to get into another rant but sadly that's what the scene thesedays lacks is underground clubs and illegal raves,sure you geta few but i can remember back in the day every other week there was illegal raves and you had legendary clubs like Sides which was the first club in Ireland to play Acid House music followed by the legendary Sir Henrys in Cork..would no promoter think about having a rave in the mansion house at all?I remember being at one in 1991 cant remember what it was called whistles,white gloves and vicks vapour rub all over the gaff it was amazing"

jonny68 wrote:
    I remember being at one in 1991 cant remember what it was called whistles,white gloves and vicks vapour rub all over the gaff it was amazing"

Yep - I was at that one myself. Can't remember what it was called but I think the 'banana boys' were playing at it. I think that was Davo and a couple of other djs - seems like an eternity ago :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

MrO wrote:
    Yep - I was at that one myself. Can't remember what it was called but I think the 'banana boys' were playing at it. I think that was Davo and a couple of other djs - seems like an eternity ago :o
    Was that the one that SL2 played at too?

Could be - I can't remember. I'm not sure if there was only one rave in the Mansion House - there may have been 2 or 3

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

MrO wrote:
    Could be - I can't remember. I'm not sure if there was only one rave in the Mansion House - there may have been 2 or 3
    Ah there was definitely more than 1. I was at about 3 that I can remember.

And just think, we were all raving in the Mansion house while there was a bomb in a fire extinguisher hidden away!! :D

No i was saying I live in London now,not Walshy......Me ma packed me off to my sisters in London about 97 when she saw all me mates strung out on gear & i have lived hear ever since allthough i do visit Dublin occasionly......And if Dance in Ireland started when you say then thats cool but Mick deserves to be bigged up for all he did back in the day....Havent seen him for Donkeys,is his sister still with Dave Angel?Did he marry Orlaith?BET HE"S STILL LIVING WITH HIS OLD FELLA & MA,STILL TELLING EVERYONE TO WATCH WHERE THE HOTROCKS ARE GOING!!HE HE HE.............Cheers man......;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

well ive been listening to dance music since i was 14 and ive one or two favs i have the mention liam dollard i was down the crypt in tt when he dropped sasha xpander and that changed my musical outlook for me coz i was a hard house fan at the time not anymore but the best irish dj in my oppion and ive heard alot of them has to be graham magrath form the noggin just class his track selection and mixing would match sasha and i dont say that lightly.there was tunes he used to play and a year later they would be on a globalunderground cd.

Advertisement