Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Irish DJ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

jonny68 wrote:
    Indeed Mick was one of the finest DJ's in Ireland back in the day but the dance scene started here around 1989 (allbeit very small) i remember being told about an illegal warehouse acid house party down the docks,i was starting to take a big interest in the scene then but it was 1990 when i became a "fully fledged raver" as it were:D without wanting to get into another rant but sadly that's what the scene thesedays lacks is underground clubs and illegal raves,sure you geta few but i can remember back in the day every other week there was illegal raves and you had legendary clubs like Sides which was the first club in Ireland to play Acid House music followed by the legendary Sir Henrys in Cork..would no promoter think about having a rave in the mansion house at all?I remember being at one in 1991 cant remember what it was called whistles,white gloves and vicks vapour rub all over the gaff it was amazing"

I didn't go to Sides until I reckon late 91 or early 92 but people who had been going there before me swore that Liam Fitz (who was playing there from early on) - was really good. Anyone ever make to one of his nights?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

im dissapointed not to se arveenes name come up more hes a genius the fella just gettin better and better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

MrO wrote:
    I didn't go to Sides until I reckon late 91 or early 92 but people who had been going there before me swore that Liam Fitz (who was playing there from early on) - was really good. Anyone ever make to one of his nights?

Yeah i remember (vaguely) Liam Fitz from 1990 in Sides used to play sort of bleepy stuff that was popular in 1990 never really heard much of him after that maybe someone else could tell ya ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭DUB1

I WAS @ M/O/A/R AT DA WKEND WAT A NITE A FEWW DJS NEED MENTIONED THEY R DA DJ DILLY WAT A DJ AND A DJ BY DA NAME OF SEQUEL MAN DID THEY BLOW THE PLACE APART WTI THERE TUNE SELECTION AND MIXING ESP. DILLY I USE 2 HAV SO MANY GUD NITES IN DA ASYLUM HE WS A GENIUS WIT HIS MIXING AND TUNE SELECETION BACK THEN IN 93/94 I CANT WAIT 2 GET DA LIVE RECORDINGS ANY WAY IF U LIK UR SOUNDS OLD AND HARD Y NOT CUM TTO TIS ON FRI 3/11/06
    legaleaglecopy.jpg

THIS WILL BE THE FIRST OF MANY PLANNED OLD SKOOL NITES BRINGING BACK THE SOUND THATMADE THE ASYLUM A TRULY MIND EXPENDING HARD DANCE EXPERIENCE MUSIC POLICY ON HE NITE HARD DANCE,HARD TRANCE AND HARDCORE 91-94 WIT MC AS WELL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭oldstock

chalky76 wrote:
    & everyone has their own opinion.....I was a Mick Walsh groupie as a young fella so i will allways be pro Walshy,however i can tell you honestly that MW used to fly to London every week for records,his sister worked/s for Aer Lingus & he used to get free flights to London,sometimes he would get his pal to drive over & meet him the other end at some obscure record warehouse & fill up with records for sale at his old shop near the hapeney bridge(used to be inside a mall)......in hindsight yeah Mick wasnt the best mixer but his hunger/energy/foresight around 94-97 was topclass,promoting gigs left,right & centre & as i previously stated he gave Eddie/Warren their break......FFS Mick & Warren were the Asylum at the beggining,stories he used to tell about that place were eyeopening,Ballyer tried to make a fool of him by not paying,mick & warren were all set to walk out & leave when sence prevailed & they got there money,afterall how else were Ballyphermot going to sell their yolkes with no music to dance too....!!The norm the next week & every week after was double Bubble for the DJ"s & allways at the start of the night instead of the end.......He also helped alot of young DJ"s to get a foot on the ladder,never scared to throw in a 19yr old novice jock as his warm up,personally making sure their name was ALLWAYS on the flyer credits & giving them a few quid from his pocket which he didnt have to do....My favourite track of all time was his sign off tune about 96/97 UTAH SAINTS (STAR) 12"Union Jack mix.....An animal of a track that used to get venue"s up & down the country rocking..!!
    thats bollox and he hadnt got a say who played and rarely finished the night, the ballyfermot boys opened the place with there money. paul farrell aka hevee booked and paid the djs. fact !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Lenny wrote:
    im dissapointed not to se arveenes name come up more hes a genius the fella just gettin better and better!
    Arvo is fairly good alright, think he'll be making a return to 110th street in Galway soon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Arveene has always been very good, but ive seen him recently and he has managed to get even better, especially on the CDJ's.

I did a bit of photography at a party that a mate threw that arveene played at, Id also watch out for a guy called Alex McKee (aka Matagouri) he plays for 52funk and can throw his hand at anything from electro to hip-hop to indie, hes not hard to spot as he is 6'7"

Check out the photos from that night:

http://www.freewebs.com/seanpburke/gardenparty.htm

alot of the new DJs in dublin have really impressed me, alot of the bodytonic/backlash lads are very very good, special mention goes to Philth, Jon Averill, Chewy and romo.

Cian and Cyrill from 110th street have been doing the rounds for a long time and have always kept me entertained in Galway, they have also stepped up their skills recently with more productions and some fancy skills on the decks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KEN.G

Have to be

Ed Case
    Warren K
    Pressure
    top 3
    Would have Walsh in there for his tunes but when you listen to the seamless mixin the other 3 were doing in say 94ish and mick was still just launching tunes in and out anywhere like a mad man he would have to come down the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Peter Breen.
    Class techno DJ act from Wexford. Warmed up for Ben Sims twice in Waterford. He's like his clone. Anyone seen him play? Solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Loobz wrote:
    Peter Breen.
    Class techno DJ act from Wexford. Warmed up for Ben Sims twice in Waterford. He's like his clone. Anyone seen him play? Solid.

Isnt Peter from Arklow?

Great DJ alright, sound lad too. I have that full night recorded when he played with Sims in the Forum actually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

KevIRL wrote:
    Isnt Peter from Arklow?

Great DJ alright, sound lad too. I have that full night recorded when he played with Sims in the Forum actually

Not from Arklow. He lives over the road from me. Yeah Ive that set too, fairly good quality set. He's given me quite a few of his recorded sets from home. All v good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

poor aul 091 djs never got mention guys.If you count the north as Irish phil Kieran or even col hamilton are up there.mark kavanagh used to make **** of any one else on the harder sceane,theres dj mog-y and yer man Arveene seems to be the only one breaking in the uk.dj Ted from when the gipppo in galway was good,redsettas,disconauts hard to call when their styles and eras are all different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭DUB1

poor aul 091 djs never got mention guys.If you count the north as Irish phil Kieran or even col hamilton are up there.mark kavanagh used to make **** of any one else on the harder sceane,theres dj mog-y and yer man Arveene seems to be the only one breaking in the uk.dj Ted from when the gipppo in galway was good,redsettas,disconauts hard to call when their styles and eras are all different

MARK KAVANAGH HAS BEEN BIG IN THE UK 4 YRS WIT A RESIDENCE IN THE LEGENDAREY TRADE AND JOHN O'CALLAGHAN [I THINK DATS HIS NAME] IS HUGE ACROSS EUROPE AND THE UK AND PVD RATES HIM HIGHLY

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Ronan O,Paddy P and Seanie C

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Anyone on here ever hear of paddy "chaw" kehoe?? Usually just known as paddy chaw. He's from wexford town and had a track released on nukeluz there a while ago called "i wanna live till i die"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 digifunk

Hi yez.... any one know if aiden kelly has an agent / bookings person he goes thru want to book him for a gig. can u send me contact details.

ta muchly
    digifunk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

jaysus my old thread gets resurrected :D

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭senan s

col hamiltion, self proclaimed favourite, he's an absolute arsehole

jonny68 wrote:
    jaysus my old thread gets resurrected :D

the only thread to get resurrected, obviously some moderator on the board, name has being mentioned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

baraca wrote:
    Anyone on here ever hear of paddy "chaw" kehoe?? Usually just known as paddy chaw. He's from wexford town and had a track released on nukeluz there a while ago called "i wanna live till i die"

of course i know Paddy, deadly DJ mad into his Nukleuz Rec, and micka is mate, another sound chap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Loosey

Anyone heard of a DJ Justiy?
    Heard/saw him in Cork a few weeks back, Tech-Trance style... very good!!

I'm new by the way, so Hi!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

aloleary wrote:
    4th Dimension... :D bezzie mates of mine from home... funny every time people bring this up...

Yous wanna have been in killarney in 1991 (jesus that long ago) when they invited Prodigy down to play... the town hadn't a clue what hit it :D

Newspapers next day "Never again... " blah blah

-A

i was at that gig never forget it.. snowballs!! (real ones)
    and i was at the prodigy in the point probably around then.. when the stage was stormed and the guards raided the place..
    them were the days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

Liam Dollard stone wall winner for me

When i started to go to sides you couldn't just walk up to the door and stroll in, you were greeted by a locked door and if you couldn't get somone to vouch for ya you couldn't get in.

I was only 14 the first time i went in and since then (19 years later) i've never found a better club, better atomosphere or music that was played in sides.

I've also never heard a better dj then liam dollard, the tracks he played were played by other djs months later, he was always one step ahead of the pack, never heard him play one bad set either.

Liked warren k too but none of the rest even come close. Scurry was an arogant ****, i hated the music pressure played and all the clanks that followed him around the place. I had about 1000 12"s way back when and mick walsh bought them all of me when i packed it in so he's alright :D

This track reminds me of liam dollard, he made is it own and its a good reflection of his style. was one of only a few tracks that i could never get on vinyl but its well converted and over played now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kE451_N5AM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Zavi Discoma

Arveene?? i think he's irish, he's **** hot whether he is or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

well for me it has to be Warren Kiernan, hands down! the bloke has the most respect in the dance music circles in ireland. great producer allso and keeps getting better!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

In my early days it was Darren Flynn, Barry and Dean who made me pick up a set of decks in my youth!

Nowadays Sunil Sharpe is my favorite Irish Dj, without a shadow of a doubt, we've no Techno Export like him, usually makes a mockery of whatever big name dj he supports!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭KC81

gavin herlihy. former mixmag writer now based in berlin. He plays minimal techno, house. saw him in bristol recently. Dont know why he doesnt play in ireland more!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Donal Dineen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Fieldog wrote: »
    In my early days it was Darren Flynn, Barry and Dean who made me pick up a set of decks in my youth!

Nowadays Sunil Sharpe is my favorite Irish Dj, without a shadow of a doubt, we've no Techno Export like him, usually makes a mockery of whatever big name dj he supports!

Which isn't exactly the point of supporting a main act!

Excellent DJ btw I agree :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Fieldog wrote: »

you should look closer to home for techno producers.jtsuited is making some very original techno(kid handsome)

Advertisement