Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dreadlocks?

• 18-05-2006 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Hey, i have hair thats tick as far as my chin, then thins out 2 inches past my chin. Im thinkin about getting dreaklocks, not fat ones, not skinny ones, but somewhere in between... like his!

Im just wondering what the general public thinks of dreadlocks(not that i care, id do it if people hated it anyways). A couple of my friends had them, and i thought they looked great!

Where would be the best place in dublin to get good/clean dreadlocks done? Whats the deal with washing them? Money is no problem.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

dread locks are great and you can wash them...... place on parnell stret is good...

i have had them 4 years now...

ronan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭DubNside

Dreads dont suit everyone, if you have a darker skin tone its better!

Try Lunatic Fringe on Grafton Street(near HMV).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

wow weird i was just thinkin of zach de la rocha as i came into the topic..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

just checked lunatic fringe and they dont do them, they advised me to go to coyboys and angels who said that it will cost 400-500 quid...

are they serious? I was told 200 would be pushing it from a guy in college, who's had his for 2 years. He got his professionally done too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭DubNside

Ah rite, they used to do them years ago, mine cost around £180 at the time...

Id advise to try some of those African shops around Moore st etc who may do it cheaper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

how exactly do they do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Honestly, I think that guy in the picture looks awful.

As someone mentioned, if you don't have a dark complection, i'd leave well alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah - ginger dreads just aren't going to work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Yeh, dark skin makes them look alot better! But hey, it is coming into the summer..

I think dreads look so cool, would love to get them some time, but I dunno if I'd be able to pull them off..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭redmagic

red_ice wrote:
    Hey, i have hair thats tick as far as my chin, then thins out 2 inches past my chin. Im thinkin about getting dreaklocks, not fat ones, not skinny ones, but somewhere in between... like his!

Im just wondering what the general public thinks of dreadlocks(not that i care, id do it if people hated it anyways). A couple of my friends had them, and i thought they looked great!

Where would be the best place in dublin to get good/clean dreadlocks done? Whats the deal with washing them? Money is no problem.

Cheers

a friend of mine has dreads (her mother is Irish and her father is Jamaican) and it irritates her if someone wears dreads for fashion. apparently, dreads are worn by those following the Rastafarian faith. just an FYI.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

redmagic wrote:
    a friend of mine has dreads (her mother is Irish and her father is Jamaican) and it irritates her if someone wears dreads for fashion. apparently, dreads are worn by those following the Rastafarian faith. just an FYI.:)

Yup, this is true. Supposedly the dreads are to allow 'jah' (The jamaican god) to pull the rastas upto heaven.

I wonder how many cross wearing pikeys are regular church goers?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dreads ftw, they look great on my friends that have them
    Also met a girl last night with purple, blonde and black ones...mmm.

Don't know how much they cost, the only ones I witnessed were home done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 emalosta

i got my dreads done on moore street in this african barbers (its just off henry street near the ilac shopping centre incase you dont no where im on about) they cost 160e and they turned out great...hope that helps:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭netanyahu

was just about to say that there are a few ethnic hair places on moore street. there is also one or two up in the back arse of town that do them for probably under 200. if you do/ did get them done could you post a picture? im considering it but ...i dunno....ya know? the oul baldness when u shave yer head to get rid of them doesnt tickle my fancy ;( good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Get used to being asked if you sell drugs if you get dreads.

My brother went from a dope smoking dread wearer to a non dope smoker, once he gave up he said it annoyed him the amount of people asking him for a smoke, maybe he didn't notice before that. But you're getting more than a hairstyle when you get dreads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

red_ice wrote:

Cheers

I know a guy who has dreads, and they look amazing. Having said that, you need to dress a certain way to pull them off. This particular guy is blonde, is a surfer, and tie his dreads back. I had a male art teacher once as well who had black dreads down to his oh-so-beautiful arse... :o

The guy I know washes his normally, has had them for 2 years, I contemplated on getting them myself about 2 years back- I went through a phase. Just be warned- once u get them, there's no going back- they can only be cut off. So be prepared to live with 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I saw a girl with white, purple and black dreads the other night... it looked fantastic. I probably wouldn't get them myself, I'm far too used to having my hair very short.

Advertisement