Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

job and insurance quote

Options
  • 18-05-2006 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

evening, i've heard the job i do will get me a higher ins quote

i'm a panel beater in my 2nd year phoned a few places on a 1.6 97 passat, i'm 19y.o, provisional licence and got a quote for under 4k.

so what would be the ideal job for a low quote, and does anybody know the legalities on fibbing on a ins quote job wise?

thanks

-VB-

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

Hmmm I'd like to hear on this also.

Im with Hibernian as a Student - now finished and was wondering if changing my occupation to an Engineer will change anything?

I've heard from ppl that it does?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Volvoboy wrote:

i'm a panel beater in my 2nd year phoned a few places on a 1.6 97 passat, i'm 19y.o, provisional licence and got a quote for under 4k.

so what would be the ideal job for a low quote, and does anybody know the legalities on fibbing on a ins quote job wise?

thanks

-VB-

It could render your cover null and void if you have a claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

hmmm, would that apply to third party??

Volvoboy wrote:

Not sure about that. They would be covered by the Motor Insurance Bureau otherwise. AFAIK 2%(?) of insurance fee goes to this fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Volvoboy wrote:

no , almost nothing voids third party... but they will come after you for the payout..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Volvoboy wrote:
    If you fail to disclose your correct occupation, it renders the original insurance policy void, and the insurance company are not obliged to pay out, even for third party claims. Then you find yourself with a conviction for driving without insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

So ...what exactly makes a panel beater a dangerous driver or insurance risk?

AFAIK-

panel beater - motor trade - more than likely to tart or (modify) the car - faster car - hence a crash but i would'nt be making any quotes as i'm tpf&t.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Wouldn't that just be an overly sweeping judgement / assumption ??

Or even discrimination ???

Ahh ..to be an insurance company ...all that power ...all that unfairness ...all that profit ...

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ridiculously sweeping - yes :)
    Discrimination - unfortunately not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Fibbing to your insurance company is never a good idea as they like nothing better than not having to pay out. They therefore tend to investigate very thoroughly especially if there is a large amount of money at stake eg disabling injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

peasant wrote:
    So ...what exactly makes a panel beater a dangerous driver or insurance risk?

The only half logic I can make out of it is that they are thinking that a panel beater as being in the motor trade hence might spend more time driving different customer's cars than say a person sitting behind an office desk in a 9 to 5 job. The panel beater would probably have to take the car out for a test after a job was done to make sure it drove ok so they probably see the risk of an accident being higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

bazz26 wrote:
    The only half logic I can make out of it is that they are thinking that a panel beater as being in the motor trade hence might spend more time driving different customer's cars than say a person sitting behind an office desk in a 9 to 5 job. The panel beater would probably have to take the car out for a test after a job was done to make sure it drove ok so they probably see the risk of an accident being higher.

the flip side to that is that he would most likely be driving them on the garage policy and with regard his own car, any single vehicle crash is going to probably result in him fixing the damage himself (even if he was fully comp).

Insurance in this country is really only to keep legal as opposed to for fixing cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

say you are in the navy , a navigator dont say mecie

bazz26 wrote:

What they think is irrelevant. Insurance quotes are determined by statistics. Insurance Companies obviously have a higher than usual number of claims from persons in the motor trade. Journalists also pay significantly higher than average premiums. Anyone know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Volvoboy wrote:

thanks

-VB-

Why are you going for a relatively large engine? Surely a 1 litre engine would be a good bit cheaper to insure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

eoin_s wrote:
    Why are you going for a relatively large engine? Surely a 1 litre engine would be a good bit cheaper to insure?

Yeah like why the hell do you want a 1.6? A 1/1.2 would suffice for you until you get your licence.

Yeah like why the hell do you want a 1.6?

been driving mammy's seat arosa 998cc ins working out at 1150euros as a student, i wont be able to say i'm a student now because i've left school,

always had a fancy for passats carinas, primeras, seen the one thats going for sale on the fs section.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

get a small engined car and get yourself a full licence and two years no claims bonus, you should be able to get a decent quote on a 1.6 car then

Advertisement