Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom being a big fat bitch

• 18-05-2006 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

My dad ordered BT broadband on March the 8th. After a month we still didn't have it so every week we'd phone BT and ask WTF is going on. Apparantly, BT must ask eircom to activate our line for broadband and eircom keep refusing.

We don't want eircom broadband, we want BT broadband (hence we asked BT for broadband, not eircom). Is eircom allowd to just refuse like this (I suspect they might want to refuse us because our bills are definetly over average)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

BT have to ask Eircom. Eircom control all the lines. Sometimes they can be a bit spitefull adn take ages. I don't see why tho cause the longer they take, the longer before Eircom make money from you. Although maybe you are already with Eircom for you dial-up internet. Then they'll want you sticking with that cause they make loads of money from that. In my case I was already with UTV for calls and flat rate dial up. So Eircom just activated my line within 2-3 days.

lol i'm just talking crap ere, goin on n on n on.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

I rang eircom asking if i could get broadband, they said no but try in 3 weeks, i tried in 3 weeks and was eligeble, they asked me if id like to register for a package, i said not right now because i wont be using it during the summer. i got a bill for 80 euro the other day........:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

don't go near bt, according to their site they work out the cheapest..

but they just go mental once they get your account details, they wait ages then they take loads then take some more, you ring them they and they'll appologise and put some back, then take a bit more, try to cancel after your 6 month contract and the keep taking your money for another 2 months ( might be 4 months in 4 weeks i'll let ya know)

christ go with eircom at least you know what its going to cost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

mukki wrote:
    don't go near bt, according to their site they work out the cheapest..

but they just go mental once they get your account details, they wait ages then they take loads then take some more, you ring them they and they'll appologise and put some back, then take a bit more, try to cancel after your 6 month contract and the keep taking your money for another 2 months ( might be 4 months in 4 weeks i'll let ya know)

christ go with eircom at least you know what its going to cost
    I've reads dozens of posts about people having billing problems with IOL/ESAT/BTIreland. I'd just like to point out that there are many of us who haven't had any billing problems (except for the "€5 for paper bill" that they charge even though they don't send you a paper bill).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

paper bill is optional, you can get it online if you register as a BT customer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

It took 4 months before BT took the 5.00 off my bill for online billing, but compared to some people here I consider myself lucky. They promised they would take the backdated amount off my bill, surprise, surprise they didn't, I'm too lazy to go chase them for a tenner, and that's how they know they can win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Love the title of this... LOL

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you confirmed that your line actually passes for broadband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

dub45 wrote:
    An order for BB wouldn't be accepted without the line showing as a pass in the database.

kaizersoze wrote:
    An order for BB wouldn't be accepted without the line showing as a pass in the database.

Well I would not put anything past Esat! Surely it should be possilbe for Esat to establish with Eircom why exactly they are refusing to progress the order?

People are getting bb from other isps on a daily basis so there must be something more to this than we are hearing about so far?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Foxwood wrote:
    I've reads dozens of posts about people having billing problems with IOL/ESAT/BTIreland. I'd just like to point out that there are many of us who haven't had any billing problems (except for the "€5 for paper bill" that they charge even though they don't send you a paper bill).

okay okay, fair enough mistakes can be made by anyone....

but you have to admit that if things only go wrong sometimes it should be easy for them to fix it for you

you spend hours waiting on hold, your emails get no replys, i have given up on them and am hoping i get no more €140 bills for a €40 a month service that i cancelled 3 months ago

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Foxwood wrote:
    I'd just like to point out that there are many of us who haven't had any billing problems (except for the "€5 for paper bill" that they charge even though they don't send you a paper bill).

I had no problems at all sur except maybe th'wan problem but shure that wasn't a problem for me so I had no problem then so I didn't.

I see you were not brave enough to ask them to fix it all the same , in case it became a problem like :D

mukki wrote:
    okay okay, fair enough mistakes can be made by anyone....

but you have to admit that if things only go wrong sometimes it should be easy for them to fix it for you

you spend hours waiting on hold, your emails get no replys, i have given up on them and am hoping i get no more €140 bills for a €40 a month service that i cancelled 3 months ago

There's no need for you to be defensive - you are absolute right - something that Esat rarely experience:rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

It's all too easy for other providers to blame Eircom. It must be no2 on the list after "did you turn on your PC?"

Eircom are to blame for a lot but the providers have cottoned on to this and use them as an excuse for everything.

Who do IBB and Digiweb blame for things ?

parsi wrote:
    It's all too easy for other providers to blame Eircom. It must be no2 on the list after "did you turn on your PC?"

Eircom are to blame for a lot but the providers have cottoned on to this and use them as an excuse for everything.

Who do IBB and Digiweb blame for things ?

Trees usually:)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Sponge Bob wrote:
    I had no problems at all sur except maybe th'wan problem but shure that wasn't a problem for me so I had no problem then so I didn't.

I see you were not brave enough to ask them to fix it all the same , in case it became a problem like :D
    I have asked them to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

dub45 wrote:
    Yup.

I phoned BT today and asked them to find out wtf is up or if I'll never be fit to get BT bb atall or what, so the guy emailed eircom and said he'll ring us back on Monday/Tuesday, if he doesn't.....

So damn frustrating. A friend of mine ordered bb about a month ago, well after we ordered, and he got it in about a week.

Eircom ARE making quite a bit from refusing these, us using their dialup...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

was considering leaving my provider as when i signed up i did NOT sign up to online billing. They emailed it to some random address I never even knew I had, so now i got a warning in the post d other day saying I owed €700 since last october for calls and broadband

I would have payed the bills it if they had arrived in the post every two months, but i don't have €700 lying around to pay it!!

If I transfer to another company, what happens to the debt on my account?

Will they put the debt collectors on me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

was considering leaving my provider as when i signed up i did NOT sign up to online billing. They emailed it to some random address I never even knew I had, so now i got a warning in the post d other day saying I owed €700 since last october for calls and broadband

I would have payed the bills it if they had arrived in the post every two months, but i don't have €700 lying around to pay it!!

Ahh, that would be the great Gaelic Telecom/Imagine I presume?
    Did it not occur to you that you weren't receiving a bill and that maybe you should have rang them before now?
    Either way they will not release your line for you to transfer to anyone until the account is cleared, even if they cut you off.

• Advertisement

Most probably - your best bet would be to get in there first and offer to reach an agreement with them whereby you pay them off in intallments.
    Write to them by registered post and keep a copy of your letter - that way in the event of them taking thing further you will be able to show that you made some effort to remedy the situation. And they are most unlikely to release your line until the situation is addressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

They do not own the line, you do so they can't keep it even if they wanted to.

When did we start owning lines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭MonkMuffet

declan_lgs wrote:
    Yup.

I phoned BT today and asked them to find out wtf is up or if I'll never be fit to get BT bb atall or what, so the guy emailed eircom and said he'll ring us back on Monday/Tuesday, if he doesn't.....

So damn frustrating. A friend of mine ordered bb about a month ago, well after we ordered, and he got it in about a week.

Eircom ARE making quite a bit from refusing these, us using their dialup...

I heard about this before from a friend.....BT told him the same thing (that eircom were refusing) but it turned out to be bull****. he found this out because he rang eiircom himself and they said there is no problem,,,so my friend got eircom tocontact BT and it was ssorted out immediately ;)
    worth noting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

same problem here, I went for smart though, waiting 5 months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

nadir wrote:
    same problem here, I went for smart though, waiting 5 months now.
    Now that is bad!

We finally got our broadband btw, on June the 1st, after over a quarter of a year :/ Thanks for the heads up about the over-billing all, I'll look out for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Hogwash! Even if the line is unbundled, eircom still own it. BT/any other provider can block a transfer of line, and will do if there are outstanding billing issues.

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 paddymacwack

I got my line connected (new build) in 2 working days from the order going in, would have been 1 day but there was a problem on the Friday evening but was sorted at the exchange on the Monday morning - took about another 3 days to get bband enabled on the line - I didn't need a router as I already had one.... I was most impressed

My sister on the otherhand is having a nightmare with them trying to order a new phone line and get broadband - after 2 weeks she has been told there is no room left in the exchange for a phone line!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

after 2 weeks she has been told there is no room left in the exchange for a phone line!

is this in or near Dublin ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 paddymacwack

Nope, its in Limerick

Advertisement