Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some HDTV tips please..

• 18-05-2006 8:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

Good evening folks :)

Ok so I've finaly got my hands on some spare cash and I want to go all out.
    Recently my monitor got screwed so I've decided to replace it with a hdtv.
    I was hoping that somebody could help me pick out a good one or give me
    some good tips/point in the right direction.

I'm getting this tv card which I will be connection the tv to.
    I'll need a hdtv that I'll be able to connect my PC (ATI Radeon 9800 - will this
    card be good enough for the output on a hdtv?) & also a connection for my friends 360/ps2.

I'm hoping to get something around a 30" or something bigger if possible.
    My wallet will stretch to about €1500/€1750

I've been looking at komplett and reading around a bit and it looks like it'd be
    best to stay away from LG. I'm just wondering how some nice hdtv's that
    look the same are around €4/600 more (mostly sony's).

Many thanks in advance :)

Edit: bad links

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

whya re you staying way from lg??

for what it's worth i'd go samsung

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I've just heard a good few bad reviews about them that's all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

well that's your choice, i think lg are okay..i really like the samsung line, think they are the best bang for the buck right now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.action?product=KDF-E50A12U&site=odw_en_GB&pageType=Overview&category=TVP+Rear+Projection+TV

50" of HDTV within your budget, hdmi, component, vga, 2 scarts, two ariels, s-video, enough inputs for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

The rear projection TV's look very dull to me and if you're not sitting straight in front of it, you'll go blind trying to watch it. The new Sony's are a little better than the older ones but still not great...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'd recommend the new samsung range, LE-??R7xx
    ??= size of panel, either 32, 37 or 40 inch
    xx= the look of the panel, exact same underneath just a different look.

It's cheaper than their current M6 range but actually a better TV, their is an M7 range coming out soon but it will be alot more expensive and I don't think the extras it will have justify the price difference.

Going to get the LE-40R72B myself soon, it has a silver bezel at the bottom. Just waiting until I have the cash for it.
    I've done a nice bit of reading around and this TV offers best performance to price at the mo accoring to what other buyers have said. It's the TV Microsoft use for promoting the xbox 360 as well and it has a special game mode for adjusting the settings.

Really good thread on it here, very long though...
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323530

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

in terms of HDTV, the graphics card is not a major consideration. Something DX 9 is a good idea, but not essential. Ive run HDTV with 651 onboard graphics without issues, so basically the 9800 is fine. You will need a 2.6Ghz CPU or better for HD content however.

Also bear in mind two things about the PVR 500

1) Its not HDTV!
    2) If you are using 2 STB's, you will need an extra bracket to provide an SVideo connection for the second box.

If you are just usuing analogue however, you need not worry about the bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

jester77 wrote:

It's cheaper than their current M6 range but actually a better TV, their is an M7 range coming out soon but it will be alot more expensive and I don't think the extras it will have justify the price difference.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323530

Eh, how exactly is the R7 range a better TV than an M61? They are both the same panels, same resonse time, contrast ration etc...anyway with first hand experience of both TV's the M61 has better sound out of the box, which may not matter if you are going to us an amp and speakers... it also has more control over the settings on the TV, while the R7 has a swivel stand, the M61 does not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

jester77 wrote:
    Is that what all the different codes mean? I've been looking at getting a Samsung LCD for a while and all the codes have been confusing the hell out of me! Cheers.

Advertisement