Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damn Daisies

Options
  • 18-05-2006 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

I've about a million daisies growing among the grass. I put down weedkiller which successfully killed the moss and the dandelions but the daisies just keep on growing. The weedkiller was 3-in-1 stuff which kills moss and weeds and also fertilizes the grass - it did exactly what it said on the tin in every respect - except for the daisies.

Is there anything I can get to kill the daisies? There are too many to even contemplate using Round-Up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 wexyford

dont even think about using round-up. use verdone that should do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

cut your grass more often, but dont scalp it right down.
    Strongly growing grass is the best thing to stop weeds.
    If you leave it "longer" rather than "shorter" it will prevent weeds from germinating...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

what's wrong with daisies? We have loads of them and I leave them where they are. Ok when I mow the grass they are gone, but luckely they are back in a few days time. It's ground cover and where do you need green grass for anyway. Everthing that covers bare ground is nice.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

GreeBo wrote:
    cut your grass more often, but dont scalp it right down.
    Strongly growing grass is the best thing to stop weeds.
    If you leave it "longer" rather than "shorter" it will prevent weeds from germinating...
    Thanks GreeBo - I'm already cutting the grass regularly and not too short either. My real problem is the amount of them. The green leaves on these weeds grow practically on the ground well below even the lowest setting of the lawnmowers blades. As there are loads of them the lawn looks pretty crap. Cutting the grass stops them from flowering but I need to kill them off. The problem is due to the fact that the garden was kind of neglected for the last 2 years until I moved in last September.

I would have thought a 3-1 would take care of them, it did for me when we moved into our new place.

Unless you can find another broadly spread weed killer you might be better off
    1) picking them manually
    2) spraying them manually

Pain in the whatsits but will achieve what you want.
    Have your new topsoil/seed ready to fill in the dead bits or new ones will just grow back!

• Advertisement

mjffey wrote:
    what's wrong with daisies? We have loads of them and I leave them where they are. Ok when I mow the grass they are gone, but luckely they are back in a few days time. It's ground cover and where do you need green grass for anyway. Everthing that covers bare ground is nice.:D
    IMO daisies take away from the appearance of the lawn. The garden is practically covered by them. It's the low growing leaves of the daisy plant that take away from the lawn rather than the flower. If you like them then leave them there but I'd prefer to be rid of them tbh.

GreeBo wrote:
    1) picking them manually
    2) spraying them manually

Have your new topsoil/seed ready to fill in the dead bits or new ones will just grow back!

I was a bit surprised that the 3-1 didn't do the job given it killed everything else. I'll start picking them I think - it might take a few weeks to get them all but at least I'll win the war. Spraying them will probably damage some of the surrounding grass - I learnt this the hard way in my previous house!!!!

It might be worth trying that Verdone stuff that wexyford mentioned.

Thanks for all the advice GreeBo!

np
    and remember, never give up on the quest for a perfect lawn! :)

GreeBo wrote:
    np
    and remember, never give up on the quest for a perfect lawn! :)
    Thats the plan. Lots of work involved but worth it imo;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 wexyford

Take it from me, im a gardener, verdone is the stuff for the job. Get bak to me if its a sucess. mow lawn, after 3 days applp, then cut lawn about 4 day after.

• Advertisement

wexyford wrote:
    Take it from me, im a gardener, verdone is the stuff for the job. Get bak to me if its a sucess. mow lawn, after 3 days applp, then cut lawn about 4 day after.
    I got Verdone at the weekend after cutting the grass. Gonna put it down tomorrow (assuming this rain stops!) I'll let you know.

Advertisement