Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linksys WRT54GP2 wireless router

• 18-05-2006 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I'm trying to buy a Linksys WRT54GP2 wireless router
    (its pretty similar to the WRG54G but has 2 x ATAs that can be used for VOIP)

However I'm not willing to wait for a UK online store to deliver

I know blueface used to sell them, but they seem to be discontinued now.

Anybody know of any Irish retailers who have these units in stock?

Alternatively can anyone recommend a similar Wireless Router and ATA all in one unit (that i can pick up before the weekend!)
    Thanks in Advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Try microaid.ie. If their site doesn't list it they often offer to order it in for you. They're very helpful and quick to respond to emails.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you are in Dublin you could try ringing IT Direct or Peats and see how quickly they could order one in for you - that of course would depend on whoever holds the agency for Linksys here.

None of the shops seem to carry a big selection of wireless equipment Peats in Dame street seem to have some Linksys stuff at the moment so they should at least be able to find out some info for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭geecee

I ended up buying a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router at the weekend.
    It doesn't do Voip so i'm going to have to buy a seperate ATA..

I have to say i was very u****ressed with the stock, prices and staff knowledge in any of the IT/Computer shops in Town...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I had a lot of trouble getting my hands on one of these. In the end I got it from blueface. I had quite a bit of rouble with it TBH. I got a replacement from them a few weeks ago. Number 2 seems to be working much better.

MrP

MrPudding wrote:
    I had a lot of trouble getting my hands on one of these. In the end I got it from blueface. I had quite a bit of rouble with it TBH. I got a replacement from them a few weeks ago. Number 2 seems to be working much better.

MrP

I have seen a couple of references to the latest batch (I think its referred to as version V) not being so great at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

I upgraded the firmware on mine it seems to have solved most of the problem lock ups etc

shltter wrote:
    I upgraded the firmware on mine it seems to have solved most of the problem lock ups etc
    I was fed up upgrading firmware, it was locking up regularly, then it locked completely. No internet, no phone and couldn't even get to the web admin console. The power light was flashing rapidly, which probably means something.

The one I have now has been working with no trouble for longer than the first one ever did so I am hopeful.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭geecee

Just bought the WRT54GP2 online at Pixmania...
    €125.50 inc delivery....
    Lets hope its got the latest firmware when it arrives!

The WRT54GS will have to find itself a new home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Gateway

shltter wrote:

Could you post a link to the firmware upgrades?

Thanks
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

Blueface have those routers back in stock now as far as I am aware.

irlrobins wrote:

Thanks for the reply but when you go to the WRT54GP2 Downloads the Firmware option is grayed out which means the option is unavailable. It has been like that for the pas 6 months.

So where is everyone getting the firmware updates for the WRT54GP2?

That means no updates to firmware have been released. Most people have the WRT54G which has updates available. This is prob what they refer to.

Gateway wrote:
    Thanks for the reply but when you go to the WRT54GP2 Downloads the Firmware option is grayed out which means the option is unavailable. It has been like that for the pas 6 months.

So where is everyone getting the firmware updates for the WRT54GP2?
    I got my fw upgrades from blueface.

MrP

Prob not official Linksys firmware.

irlrobins wrote:
    Prob not official Linksys firmware.

That's what I was thinking. I know there's a few unofficial one's on the internet.
    Thanks for the help. :)

Gateway wrote:
    That's what I was thinking. I know there's a few unofficial one's on the internet.
    Thanks for the help. :)

http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

i got one of there routers about 8mths ago and never had a single problem with my voip setup + 4 pcs runnign off it they are the businness :D

Yeah, I think I just got a dodgy one TBH. I was very happy with it when it was working and I have been very happy with the replacement since I got it.

MrP

dub45 wrote:
    No firmware for WRT54GP2 as far as I can tell on that page either.

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:

There doesn't seem to be anything on that link for the WRT54GP2 router?

Nope there isn't. So looks like you have the only firmware available. So you're up to date! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I have the newest firmware (I think). It is version 1.05.06 (I think, not at home to check it) it made no noticeable difference to anything.

irlrobins wrote:
    So you're up to date! :D

Now thats what I like to hear! :D

My firmware is 1.30.04 beta I cant remember of the top of my head where I got it but I think I have a copy of it somewhere if anyone wants to try it

here is a link to 1.30.05beta http://www-au.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=AU%2FLayout&cid=1130279436317&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

It is Australian I think but I have it on mine and it has been working fine for the last couple of months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Mine is newer than that, it must be 1.50.(something)

I'd advise against installing a firmware intended for a "foreign" router. Might install ok, but would you want to risk it and end up bricking the router?

Unless you're experiencing problems that can be attributed to a poor firmware, best not to update.

irlrobins wrote:
    I'd advise against installing a firmware intended for a "foreign" router. Might install ok, but would you want to risk it and end up bricking the router?

Unless you're experiencing problems that can be attributed to a poor firmware, best not to update.

Here is a link to the one I am using it is International

http://www1.linksys.com/international/firmware.asp?intfwid=120&coid=19

At the time I looked into it and linksys did not sell the WRT54GP2 in Europe or the US vonage did and they were providing the support for it in those areas but those ones are locked to vonage

In Australia Linksys did sell them and that is why the firmware is AU but as I have said I have it on mine and it is working much better than before
    But do whatever you want to do your self

shltter wrote:
    it is International
    It's a bit confusing but International doesn't mean suitable for all. Often a product might have a US version, a UK version and an International version for all other countries. Local regulations, power supplies etc mean that while the deivces look the same, they are in fact quite distinct.

• Advertisement

irlrobins wrote:
    It's a bit confusing but International doesn't mean suitable for all. Often a product might have a US version, a UK version and an International version for all other countries. Local regulations, power supplies etc mean that while the deivces look the same, they are in fact quite distinct.

My understanding is that this is the same device it is sold in the US and Europe by Vonage with their firmware that locks it to vonage and by linksys in Australia

The router is the same no matter where you buy it(other than the plug) people have for example bought US versions on Ebay and reflashed and unlocked them.

But as I said people can do what they like I got my WRT54GP2 from Blueface and I flashed it with that it works perfectly and much better than before.

Advertisement