Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linksys WRT54GP2 wireless router

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

paulm17781 wrote:
    Mine is newer than that, it must be 1.50.(something)

That firmware 1.30.05 was only released by Linksys last month

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t236667-new-firmware-for-wrt54gp2-released-1305.html

It is possible that blueface renamed the firmware they gave you and it is the same one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭geecee

Firmware Version: 1.30.05
    Was on my new WRT54GP2 as delivered by pixmania yesterday....

Very happy so far!

Have my clearwire on the Wan Port and Voipstunt and Blueface connected to the VoIP ports... With the g729 Codec the VoIP quality is quite passable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

shltter wrote:
    That firmware 1.30.05 was only released by Linksys last month
    It is possible that blueface renamed the firmware they gave you and it is the same one

I'll have to check when I get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

geecee wrote:
    Firmware Version: 1.30.05
    Was on my new WRT54GP2 as delivered by pixmania yesterday....

It is also the version on the replacement unit I got form Blueface a few weeks ago.

MrP

MrPudding wrote:
    It is also the version on the replacement unit I got form Blueface a few weeks ago.

MrP

Well that pretty much knocks Irlrobins arguement out of the water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

which argument was that?

irlrobins wrote:
    which argument was that?

eh this one
    irlrobins wrote:
    I'd advise against installing a firmware intended for a "foreign" router. Might install ok, but would you want to risk it and end up bricking the router?

Unless you're experiencing problems that can be attributed to a poor firmware, best not to update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

That's not an argument, it's my opinion/advice.

Updating the firmware of any device has it's risks. So unless there is a pressing need to do it, I'd stick to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix" way of thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭MonkMuffet

tbh i can't be bothered reading this thread to see if the person found a site with the linksys router, but i think www.expansys.ie do them.

irlrobins wrote:
    That's not an argument, it's my opinion/advice.

Updating the firmware of any device has it's risks. So unless there is a pressing need to do it, I'd stick to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix" way of thinking.

We all know that there are risks involved in firmware updates.

Gateway was looking for one I pointed him to it and you advised him not to use it as it was "Foreign" that advice was wrong as there is no problem (other than the normal risk associated with any firmware update) with using the firmware I linked to.

I understand your general point about using firmware not officially meant for your device but in this case I researched it before upgrading it is fine as I explained Vonage support the linksys in this neck of the woods so if you need a Non vonage upgrade the Australian version is fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement