Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take 14 freaks, stick them in a house...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Where was that idiot Mikey tonight didn't see him once...is he still in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

No. Had that understood that he referred to himself in them terms. But to refer to others in racist and unallowable language is against the rules of this forum and society. Does not make it right.
    Ah relax. The papers all use his own terminology and call him a paki poof too so what's the big deal with fletch doin it on boards??

I'd second what Hobbes has said. Shabaz is a total geebag and as fer that nikki wan. Jaysus, what a pest. Richard seems pretty decent but Pete is a god laugh to watch. Didn't like caesar (can't spell it properly) much at the start but he told shabaz what a tit he was being which was more than the rest of em would do so he's earned my respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

But to refer to others in racist and unallowable language is against the rules of this forum and society.

Ah for god sake, we might as well not post on this forum anymore. Relax!. You called mentioned that fletch was scum in your on post. I could take that as a highly insulting remark and say that you should be banned. The main point for you is, 'GET A LIFE'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Get fletch racist scum out of boards.

Shahbaz is a annoying drama queen, but less of yer racism.

I'll put 100 euros on pete to win, no problem, with shallow and pointless and unlikeable waste of time Sezer in house. Who is george?
    Oh for Gods sake would you lighten up! I was merely referring to Shahbaz in the way in which he referred to himself in his application video. It was not meant to be a racist comment in the slightest. Personally I find the term paki puff quite amusing and I myself, am gay and have absolutely no problem with someone referring to me as a puff, it's merely a figure of speech

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Get fletch racist scum out of boards.

Shahbaz is a annoying drama queen, but less of yer racism.

I'll put 100 euros on pete to win, no problem, with shallow and pointless and unlikeable waste of time Sezer in house. Who is george?

I don't think there was any racist intention in what he said. Big Brother are identifying him as a "Pakki Puff". Retract your post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Pocari Sweat

fletch wrote:
    Oh for Gods sake would you lighten up! I was merely referring to Shahbaz in the way in which he referred to himself in his application video. It was not meant to be a racist comment in the slightest. Personally I find the term paki puff quite amusing and I myself, am gay and have absolutely no problem with someone referring to me as a puff, it's merely a figure of speech

Oooo kay.. keep yer knickers on ye big poof, lighten up, I was just being a bit anti-racist thats all, theres no law against it.

We can all refer to ourselves in derogatory terms and say it is okay to use these terms because we are referring to ourselves like this, like ... I am a thick paddy gob****e.

And I'm sure self-effacing Scottish people refer to themselves as haggis eating, caber tossing jock straps.

Sure whats the harm. But the forum on one hand say they don't allow racist terms and then don't bother when it happens, so I'm not sure...
    ye big poof.

Oooo kay.. keep yer knickers on ye big poof, lighten up, I was just being a bit anti-racist thats all, theres no law against it.

We can all refer to ourselves in derogatory terms and say it is okay to use these terms because we are referring to ourselves like this, like ... I am a thick paddy gob****e.

And I'm sure self-effacing Scottish people refer to themselves as haggis eating, caber tossing jock straps.

Sure whats the harm. But the forum on one hand say they don't allow racist terms and then don't bother when it happens, so I'm not sure...
    ye big poof.

Your response is all over the place and contradictory.

ateam wrote:
    Your response is all over the place and contradictory.

Yer all fur coat and no knickers, where's yer reasoning, break it down.

Yer all fur coat and no knickers, where's yer reasoning, break it down.

You have accused someone of being a racist and now you have consciously acted in what may be interpreted as a racist manner by slagging off the Irish and the Scottish (for some reason you picked out the Scottish).
    Moreover, I would argue that on the one hand you are willing to say that he used an unacceptable term but suddenly through permission granted from someone who is not in any position to dish out permission, you now seem fit to use this unacceptable term yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Give it a rest lads, if someone refers to themself as a Paki Poof then there is no harm in referring to them as the same.

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Give it a rest lads, if someone refers to themself as a Paki Poof then there is no harm in referring to them as the same.
    Yes back on topic please.....although that was kinda on topic lol :)

ateam wrote:
    You have accused someone of being a racist and now you have consciously acted in what may be interpreted as a racist manner by slagging off the Irish and the Scottish (for some reason you picked out the Scottish).
    Moreover, I would argue that on the one hand you are willing to say that he used an unacceptable term but suddenly through permission granted from someone who is not in any position to dish out permission, you now seem fit to use this unacceptable term yourself.

Lets agree to differ.

I'll explain where I was coming from - looking at it chronologically:

I saw Shahbaz call himself a P*** Poof on his application video.
    (By the way I put the three asterixes after the "P".)

I suppose there aren't major gripes in using racial terms in expressing self effacement in a humourous way.

Referring to someone using racial terms whether they used the same terms first, I am still undecided on.

If Fletch was commenting on what he said or quoting what he said and had a view on this, fair enough.

When I responded initially, who knows if I saw the Shahbaz application video and I was just commenting against racism.

I withdraw my remark calling Fletch a scumbag now he has explained his point, there doesn't seem to be any harm in the chap, no hard feelings.

As I am Scotts-Irish, and from what I was told about it being OK using self-effacing racial humour my comments below seem to be entirely within your mandates :

The term I was against using from the start was the commonly mis-used slang for a person from Pakistan and at no point have I used this term although this is what it appears I am accused of.

I am quick to come down hard on racism, and if there is a good argument to say why some comments may be OK or they were misinterpreted or there were no real bad intentions, then I am certainly prepared to listen.

Back to BB now.

Shahbaz is obviously a knob head.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

P*** Poof

Why is it alright to say Poof but not Paki?

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Why is it alright to say Poof but not Paki?

I personally don't like referring to someone using racial slang even if one or two individuals from a cultural background say it is OK, I still am not comfortable with it.

As for using the term poof, this has become so widely used in the mainstream by the gay community themselves, on daytime TV etc, that it is not too much of an issue. Sure Joe, there is always going to be a few upset by it, and if I thought they were then I wouldn't used the term, (hope your not uspet?).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I loved his comment "I am just going to show that gay muslims aren't all terrorists". Did he mean that some Muslim terrorists are gay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Hobbes wrote:
    I loved his comment "I am just going to show that gay muslims aren't all terrorists". Did he mean that some Muslim terrorists are gay?

When did he say that?

Who said that?

As for using the term poof, this has become so widely used in the mainstream by the gay community themselves, on daytime TV etc, that it is not too much of an issue. Sure Joe, there is always going to be a few upset by it, and if I thought they were then I wouldn't used the term, (hope your not uspet?).
    One could also argue the exact same thing about the word paki! If you ask me it's merely an abbreviation of the term pakistani meaning "A person from Pakistan or of Pakistani descent". Personally I fail to see it's derogatory connotations. Total double standards on your part Pocari
    Jees there's even a site entitled http://www.paki.com which deals with all things Pakistani! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

iFight wrote:
    When did he say that?

"I think the nation should see that there gay muslims out there that are not all terrorists".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfGzSb1l9sc
    40 seconds in.

fletch wrote:
    One could also argue the exact same thing about the word paki! If you ask me it's merely an abbreviation of the term pakistani meaning "A person from Pakistan or of Pakistani descent". Personally I fail to see it's derogatory connotations. Total double standards on your part Pocari
    Jees there's even a site entitled http://www.paki.com which deals with all things Pakistani! :D

Right Fletch I was going to let it lie, but you obviously want to debate the matter.

Just because other members of the Pakistani community choose to use the slang or abbreviation, I personally do not feel it is appropriate.

I reckon poof or poofter or poofter boy used in a humerous way is not as bad as the slang for Pakistani unless a gay person is objecting then I would not use the term and apologise.

People like to be referred to in the way they request and if they feel it is inappropriate then the offensive terms they feel are being used should stop being used.

By using the racist term for Pakistinis, I feel you are treading on thin ice for those you are ultimately going to offend.

Despite having a general amount of crap from right wing or uneducated types, gay people know if "poof" is used in a humerous and unthreatening manner then it is inoffessive.

This cannot be said for racial slang terms in my experience, it runs a bit deeper. I am not saying the terms are polariities, they are fairly close in arguments about equality and discrimination legislation, but I find racial slang a bit more cutting.

I am caucasion and heterosexual so I am not biased on one or other use of slang terminology. But because you mentioned you were gay I can see where you are coming from and I won't use the term "poof" again in debates here and probably level off its use and give its credence as being equally as offensive compared to racial slang terminology. A lesson learned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Hobbes wrote:
    "I think the nation should see that there gay muslims out there that are not all terrorists".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfGzSb1l9sc
    40 seconds in.

Koola, ty for the link

Shahbaz, doing his best for racial and gay harmony in our community.

Advertisement