Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 DNS server for two different providers??

• 18-05-2006 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Right lads, dunno if anyone here will have the answer here but will throw it out here anyway...

What I am looking for as the title suggests, 1 DNS server that I can use in different networks.
    This is the problem/scenario.
    1. I can only specify 1 DNS server (no primary/secondary) option.
    2. I fail over between two internet providers, smart telecom & netsource.

If I am set to use smart telecoms DNS server(s) 84.203.254.34 (will stick to 1 to make things simple!) and I am using smarts network. Everything is fine.

Now problem arises is if I fail over to netsource, I can no longer do DNS querys against smart's DNS server as they dont allow it from outside their own network. So I have to manually change my DNS server to netsources 212.17.32.3 while I am failed over to netsource to get my DNS working and "the internet" back working. If I fail back then to smarts, I am knackered again DNS wise as netsource dont allow smarts (outside) networks to query their servers.

One other thing I should mention as well, is that I dont want to use/build my own DNS server/relay etc. Been there, done that, problem with this solution is that this DNS server/relay maybe in a part of the network that breaks, and then becomes unavailable to other users etc. I can actually end up in a scenario where I have some users going out via smarts, others going out via netsource!!!

So, can anyone recommend an open DNS server for me to use? Obviously if it was irish based it would be even better due to latency but as anyone who understands, this is not an issue when it comes to DNS really.

I am sure with a google and a bit of messing aroud will find me one that I could use but would be curious to know if anyone here has come across a similar scenario etc etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭geecee

Genuity used to be out ISP and their DNS servers are publically accesable, we still use them in emergencys:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭eoinok

geece, your a gentleman.

Just tried them on netsource and smarts, both can be hit. Being primarily a backbone provider, they should be fairly reliable as well (as in always available or somehow accessible anyway!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭lynchie

eoinok wrote:
    Right lads, dunno if anyone here will have the answer here but will throw it out here anyway...

What I am looking for as the title suggests, 1 DNS server that I can use in different networks.
    This is the problem/scenario.
    1. I can only specify 1 DNS server (no primary/secondary) option.
    2. I fail over between two internet providers, smart telecom & netsource.

If I am set to use smart telecoms DNS server(s) 84.203.254.34 (will stick to 1 to make things simple!) and I am using smarts network. Everything is fine.

Now problem arises is if I fail over to netsource, I can no longer do DNS querys against smart's DNS server as they dont allow it from outside their own network. So I have to manually change my DNS server to netsources 212.17.32.3 while I am failed over to netsource to get my DNS working and "the internet" back working. If I fail back then to smarts, I am knackered again DNS wise as netsource dont allow smarts (outside) networks to query their servers.

One other thing I should mention as well, is that I dont want to use/build my own DNS server/relay etc. Been there, done that, problem with this solution is that this DNS server/relay maybe in a part of the network that breaks, and then becomes unavailable to other users etc. I can actually end up in a scenario where I have some users going out via smarts, others going out via netsource!!!

So, can anyone recommend an open DNS server for me to use? Obviously if it was irish based it would be even better due to latency but as anyone who understands, this is not an issue when it comes to DNS really.

I am sure with a google and a bit of messing aroud will find me one that I could use but would be curious to know if anyone here has come across a similar scenario etc etc.

netsource's dns servers are publically available, so use them all the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

that Netsource DNS wont last I assure you save for their own customers .

better set up an internal caching dns server

if provider one is up it will forward look up off that providers dns server
    if provider one is down it will forward look up off provider 2s dns instead

in a case where already it looked up a record in the past hour (say) it will have cached the results anyway .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭eoinok

Songe Bob, cheers for the help but I did mention this..... :)

"dont want to use/build my own DNS server/relay etc. Been there, done that, problem with this solution is that this DNS server/relay maybe in a part of the network that breaks, and then becomes unavailable to other users etc"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

build two of them then :D

you cannot rely as one used to on external dnsservers other than your own isps ones continuing to work because of this recent eruption

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/security/0,39020375,39257938,00.htm

Advertisement