Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

After regular servicing?

Options
  • 18-05-2006 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

I do my own regular service on our two cars (Mazda 323 1.3 and Mazda MPV 2.5TD Auto)

Every 5 or 6 thousand miles I do an oil change (semi-synth) oil and air filters, plugs on the 323 and replace 5 Litres of the ATF in the Auto.

Timing belts are replaced every 50,000 or so on both cars.

Apart from the obvious things you can see, like tyres, wipers, brakes etc. should I do any more, or wait and see what the NCT shows up?

What I mean is, am I doing enough, or should I leave the cars in to a garage from time to time to get a full look-over?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,415 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Every 5 or 6 thousand miles I replace 5 Litres of the ATF in the Auto
    am I doing enough?

You're doing too much :)

Is the ATF change not way over the top? I thought most cars these days don't need any changing at all but there's no harm changing every 100,000 miles I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

personally i drop it in to a garage every fourth service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Yeah, probably a tad too much allright, but I get the tranny up to some very high tempreatures after city driving for maybe 8 hours a day.

As it's very easy to change out 5 Litres, I just treat it like an oil change.

Better safe than sorry :p

babybundy wrote:

That sounds reasonable, you just ask them to service it and let you know of any other work needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

wat i do is change the plugs , oil and fillters 3 times and on the fourth it goes in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Why? Just to keep them in business or to give them a chance to screw something up on your car? :)

Seriously though, no one who is working to the clock is going to take as much time and pay as much attention to detail as you who can take as long as you like over a job in your spare time. I ask myself who will care more about the quality of any job done on a car: some random mechanic working under the pressure of time and money, or the owner of the car himself?

If you do all the work on your car then you know some bodge artist hasn't screwed something up on it (and charged you top dollar for it, and made out like he did you a favour), or at least if you want to bodge something on your own car you'll know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

babybundy wrote:

Those idiots are only likely to break something. Have you got the Mazda service schedule? It should point out any other things which should be done from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Ya, I have to agree with the last two posters. You seem to be doing everything well. 5/6 000 miles is a bit soon but as you said driving around city, this may be a good idea. You will notice it when you car is a bit older as the engine will be very fresh. I have a Mazda 323 its 10 year old and I service it every 8,000 and she is going great, got 51 mpg on her with a trip up and down to dublin. I had some minor issues with her with shocks, refurbish the alternator, and rubber around engine mounts was cracked and worn but beside that I can't say anything bad about a mazda. Great car.

Maybe your brake pads and a change of the fuel filter (once a year or so) and replace the coolant after about two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

sounds like you've covered most things....maybe look to change the brake fluid every 2 yrs also

Thanks all for the advice ;)

Can't tackle very much with the MPV as I can't get a workshop manual for it (being a Jap import)

Saying that, can't get a manual for the 323 either!!!

The 323 is a doddle to work on, but the MPV has lots of "tricky" stuff that I know little about, ie. auto box, climate control and the owners manual is in Japanese too :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Saying that, can't get a manual for the 323 either!!!

Although I don't know the year of your 323, here's a few manuals on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/MAZDA-MX3-MX6-323-626-FORD-PROBE-WORKSHOP-MANUAL_W0QQitemZ8066832279QQcategoryZ18420QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and

http://cgi.ebay.ie/HAYNES-MANUAL-FOR-MAZDA-323-OCT89-98_W0QQitemZ4641241482QQcategoryZ36086QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I do a bit of overkill on servicing my car. I do it myself to save money, but I change the oil and filter every 6 months (regardless of mileage), the plugs, fuel filter, & air filter every year, and the timing belt every 50,000 miles.

As for the brakes, only when they begin to squeak;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

The only other things I can think of that a garage MAY do (if instructed) would be:

- power steering fluid
    - brake fluid (someone above mentioned it also)
    - fuel filter
    - check/adjust the handbrake

I think the idea of putting it into the garage every 4th is a good one, but you should tell them EXACTLY what to do, give them a list.

Fair play doing your own servicing, I really must put all that Lidl/Aldi car equipment I bought to use...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

I reckon keep doing what you're doing plus every 2 years change the brake fluid and engine coolant.
    Changing the ATF every 5 or 6k is definitely a bit much - 20 to 30k or once every 18 months or so would be fine.... It's great to see someone in this country who actually recognises this as a service item ;-)
    Best bet would be to check the owners manuals (Or on the net if you don't have them) and follow the recommended schedule - A mazda with servicing like that will go forever!
    Edit: Don't waste your time taking them to a garage for a service at any stage if you can do it yourself as the cars will probably get half the service at 10 times the cost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I change the coolant every year.

As for the gear fluid, I don't think it's been changed ever! Should get around to doing that in the next service, although I hate the smell of ATF;)

Thanks again for the replies (and the nice words ;) )

Yeah, ATF smells fairly rank allright, will do the 5 Litre exchange a couple more times (leaves a few litres in the torque converter) and then I'm finished with it for a good while (safe in the knowledge that my ATF fluid is 99% good)

The Mazda 323f is a 2003 model, no Haynes manual available as yet (for some odd reason)
    Will keep an eye on Ebay for a CD version of the manual too.

Thanks again.

Advertisement