Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread Ban ?

Options
  • 19-05-2006 10:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

Is it possible to ban a poster from a thread rather than from a whole forum?

This could be a very useful method of giving out slaps on the wrist for minor offences that are disruptive but not worthy of a more serious ban.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You know something, that wouldn't be a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Nope it's not a setting that comes in this message board,(yet) someday I hope the boys over in vB.org will sort a hack for it maybe as i'm looking for something like that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I dont think a thread ban is worth a piss. A ban is a punishment and should be used as such. Why should they start painting people with shades of moron?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Because there are shades of moron perhaps?

An otherwise steady poster in a forum might just go a little to far in one thread perhaps because it touches a nerve or something, he could be locked out of the thread and go about his otherwise steady posting.
    Naturally I'm only suggesting this for minor infractions not gross misbehaviour.

sure a ban can be put on for just a week, i was banned from one forum for two weeks

• Advertisement

Have a look at this link. It was forwarded to me by someone via Skype.

Thanks. You know who you are. ;)

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=109416&highlight=thread+ban

i'd ban you for posting that! ;)

And there's me thinking I was special. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Don't really need it.

Just say "post in this thread again and I will ban you from this forum"

Puts the foot down and shows you mean business to the other people on the thread. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Hagar wrote:
    Have a look at this link. It was forwarded to me by someone via Skype.

Thanks. You know who you are. ;)

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=109416&highlight=thread+ban

Oh thanks for that! your a star!

*clicks Install and is very happy :)*

Peace out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Yeah there's a hack done that bans from a thread, but tbh the user will act like an ass and make a new thread so its just as good to ban from a forum.

Teach em a lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

6th wrote:
    A ban is a punishment and should be used as such.
    Bans are sometimes punishment, but often more a case of "you should go away now, so everyone else can use the forum". Thread bans would be useful in the latter case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Aye, sometimes you ban because people are acting the idiot, but there are cases where i've personally used a cool down ban - where a generally good user has gotten somewhat over excited on a topic. this kind of thing owuld be very useful for that.

Advertisement