Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Koranic fish stolen/recovered.

• 19-05-2006 10:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Strange. Does the text look that accurate?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4995100.stm

This would mean you would not be allowed eat the fish?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Donangel

why not, of course you can eat it.
    if these writings were genuine then its a msg to the person or persons who caught it.
    its not supposed to be a media frenzy ,so people can poke and make fun of it.
    myself i believe in signs, so maybe this guy who caught it was in a finacial trouble or in need and has been praying for guidance from god,and god just wanted to to remind him "You-god- are the best provider".
    I hope he got the msg and it helped him in anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Arabic script lends itself more easily to this kind of thing, as it's more "natural" and sinuous than for example european script. I'd be more impressed if the fish had patterns in european script.

Our brains like to see patterns, even if none exist. There was a photo doing the rounds around the time of the tsunami which claimed to show "Allah" in the waves(wiping out sin apparently).

It's not just Islam either. How many faces of Jesus/Mary etc have there been in the most unlikely of places?(frying pans/ shop windows etc) For a time eBay was full of that stuff.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Well, I like to leave these things up to the individual to decide but we have to be very cautious. Unfortunately, history is rife with people doing tricks like this I'm afraid.

I'm not necessarily saying that this is a trick. It's certainly not the mind seeing something that it wants to see as Wibbs suggested. As an Arabic speaker, I can safely say that the text is too good to be the result of some random lines.

So, this gives us two possibilites, either that the fish really is a sign from God or that someone wrote on the fish. I'm open to both possibilities. If it's a sign from God then that's personal to the person who caught it and anyone who sees it. If someone wrote on the fish then, well, it doesn't exactly change Islam as we know it, does it? :)

Advertisement