Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGCE interview in the UK

• 19-05-2006 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hi everyone.

I have just received a call to interview for a PGCE in the UK. The interview format is slightly intimidating - it takes two hours for a start! I'm just wondering if anyone has already done one and would have any advice for me. It seems different from the Irish ones.
    The interview will be in three parts:

· You will be required to take two tests- a writing task (30 minutes) and a basic numeracy test (20 minutes) [R1.1, 1.6, DfES 2002];

· You will then be asked to deliver a short presentation of 5 minutes (see the attached sheet which explains the task more fully) followed by questions by the interview panel;

· You will then be asked a series of questions to ascertain whether you have the capability to meet the required Standards by the end of your training and that you possess appropriate personal and intellectual qualities to be a teacher [R 1.1, DfES 2002]

The whole process should last no more than 120 minutes.

Does anyone know what type of questions they are likely to ask at the interview part?

The presentation is to "Plan a session you could teach to a group of Primary or Foundation Stage children." This seems very open-ended! Again, is there anything specific they are looking for?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Where is the interview for?

I have just completed the PGDE Secondary in Glasgow, which was exhausting but very worthwhile.

They are probably looking to see similar things to the Secondary programme. Basically, that you can speak in public, can project your voice, that you can explain a topic in stages.

A friend of mine studying primary gave his presentation on precipitation.
    Or steal ideas from the internet! www.primaryresources.co.uk
    Keep it simple though with one or two very clear learning outcomes.

Do your research on the local area.
    They will ask you about elements specific to the Local Education Authority the university is in. For example in Glasgow, we were asked some questions about inclusion, poverty etc.
    If the area has lots of asylum seekers, they may ask you about how you would handle teaching pupils who do not speak English.

Try www.tes.co.uk for insight into the UK education system and forums for each area. The main one applies to England, so scroll down to see the link for Scotland and Wales on the left hand side. Each have sections for student teachers - current and prospective.

For primary also read up on Phonics - it is the big trend here in primary literacy. I teach lots of kids who can't read aloud because they removed phonics in the UK during the 90's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 eruanna

It's for the University of East London and it's on the 31st of May, so I've over a week to prepare - which is good, I think!

Thank you so much for your reply - that TES site is great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

No problem - let me know how you get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 scwatman

Hi

I just luckily stumbled across this post Ive got an interview at the same uni next week and I was sent a very similar email to the one you posted (nearly identical actually). I was wondering how your interview went and if you wouldn't mind tell me anything about it?

like what kind of thing they asked, about the tests, presentation etc. anything really.

any help you could give would be great.

thanks in advance.

scott

Advertisement