Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese fibre subscribers to top 9.5 million by March 2007

Options
  • 19-05-2006 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

Japanese fibre subscribers to top 9.5 million by March 2007

The number of subscribers to fiber-optic broadband services in Japan is expected to reach about 9.5 million by the end of March 2007, nearly double the year-earlier level, The Nihon Keizai Shimbun reports. That means one in three broadband subscribers will use fibre. Subscriptions to optical services totaled 5.5 million at the end of March 2006, accounting for more than 20 percent of all broadband service contracts. NTT East and NTT West aim to raise the combined number of subscribers by 80 percent from the previous year to 6.2 million by the end of this fiscal year in March 2007. NTT East has launched a joint sales campaign with communication satellite broadcaster Sky Perfect Communications, targeting residents of detached houses. The average monthly fee for optical services for condo residents is JPY 3,000 to 4,000, much the same as that for ADSL, the current broadband mainstream. The fee for detached houses is still high, at JPY 5,000 to 6,000, but is expected to fall as competition among providers intensifies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

I'll put this into perspective for those here:

1000 YEN = €7

Source:
    http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html

6,000 YEN is only €42 a month for the EXPENSIVE Fibre!!!!

There must be extra costs....tell me there is Japanese Fibre Line Rental as this is depressing news indeed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

You also have to remember that everything is extremely expensive in Japan, so while it might be "€42", it's even less for somebody living in Japan. If you know what I mean.

Advertisement