Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL modem disconnecting

• 19-05-2006 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

Since the upgrade to 6mb my modem has been locking up. Well, not actually locking up, but it stops working though the lights suggest it's OK. A reboot fixes it. This happens every few hours during the day, but seldom at night. Am I suffering a service problem, or a hardware one? I can't wait in for an engineer for a couple of weeks, so haven't called them about it yet. Anyone suffering similar problems?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

yes, you need a new modem.. i presume you have an old grey one? 100 or 120.
    i was having the same problems, asked for a new modem and its fixed now. doesn't disconnect anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

nipplenuts wrote:
    Since the upgrade to 6mb my modem has been locking up. Well, not actually locking up, but it stops working though the lights suggest it's OK. A reboot fixes it. This happens every few hours during the day, but seldom at night. Am I suffering a service problem, or a hardware one? I can't wait in for an engineer for a couple of weeks, so haven't called them about it yet. Anyone suffering similar problems?

I'm having a similar problem here. Sometimes it can be triggered by large downloads (either from newsgroups or http / ftp). Just rang support (having finally gotten sick of it) and they've said that they can't do anything unless I ring when it is not connected so they can run through their diagnostics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

I'm having a similar problem here. Sometimes it can be triggered by large downloads (either from newsgroups or http / ftp). Just rang support (having finally gotten sick of it) and they've said that they can't do anything unless I ring when it is not connected so they can run through their diagnostics.

so they did not try a download or do anything with you to see if it hung during transfer?

i find that strange :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

stebishop wrote:
    yes, you need a new modem.. i presume you have an old grey one? 100 or 120.
    i was having the same problems, asked for a new modem and its fixed now. doesn't disconnect anymore.

Yeah, it's an old 120.

I'll get her indoors to call them so.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

so they did not try a download or do anything with you to see if it hung during transfer?

i find that strange :confused:

They did, however, the modem worked fine while I was on the phone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement