Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GUIDE:Overclocking ATI card

Options
  • 19-05-2006 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭

There are mound, heaps and piles of GPU (graphic processing unit) overclocking software available on the internet. Below is the step by step process by which I have found my successful overclocks:

1. The first thing you want to do is locate the latest and/or best drivers for your particular video card. These can be from ATI's website ( http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html ) or my personal favorite ( www.omegadrivers.net ), the latter which is an easy way to get quality overclocking software as well as quality modified drivers.

2. Now on to the downloading. You need to pick out some software. In my opinion, the necessaries are ATI Tool ( www.guru3d.com ) and radlinker (also at guru3d.com or comes with omega drivers).

3. On to overclocking. Our first step will be to install ATI Tool, and then use that to find your clocks. You can use the automatic highest core and mem button if you have the time, takes about 4 hours. If not, you can adjust the values yourself.

4. Adjusting the values: The first step is to open the 3D window, so you can see the spinning cube. This will allow you to watch for artifacts, little white dots that mean your GPU is heating up too much. Now, start moving the two sliders up about 5Mhz at a time. Keep doing this until dots begin to appear on the cube. Stop, and lower the memory slider until the dots dissappear. You should now be able to continue moving the core slider until more dots appear. When they do, lower the core slider until they are gone, then press the 'Scan for Artifacts' button. Let the artifact test run until either the 'no errors' timer resets, you start to see artifacts, or it has run for 10 min to an hour with no problems. If the first two conditions occur, lower the mem, and or core a little and try the test again. Repeat until you have a stable overclock.

5. Now that you have a stable overclock, you are going to apply it to your system using radlinker. I do this because I have had in game problems while using both ATI Tool and Rivatuner, and radlinker is invisible and efficient. To do this, install radlinker then right click on the desktop, select the radlinker button, and on the window that pops up select "Enable Clock Rate Change". Move these memory sliders until you have set the same values we found with ATI Tool. Once you have done this, click the "Use Current" button, then click "Apply" and "Ok". You have just successfully overclocked your GPU, and the settings will automatically come into play as soon as you start boot into windows. All that is left now is to uninstall ATI Tool and start playing games.

Good luck!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

That's more like it, an alternative to the shopping list threads spilling over from the Computers forum.

gg shots

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

you like.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Thanks Awhir:)

I just got my first ATI card (X1800XT) the other day, and I have been looking for a overclocking guide......

I got the omega drivers:)

no prob.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

u should probably link to where you got this from...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Here, there's some other useful info on that site aswell.

ohh 1 min before me lol..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Wow that guide makes it sound so easy. Shame no mention of what can happen and or how to cool your card :p

Why uninstall Ati Tool? It has Hot keys so you can only OC when you playing Games.

kdjac

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Why uninstall Ati Tool? It has Hot keys so you can only OC when you playing Games.

Because the guide was written more than a year ago, and ATI tool didnt have all the nice features it has now.....

Anyway, I installed the Omega drivers and its overclocking utility read my core as 600mhz and my ram as 66mhz lol

So, Can ATI tool maintain the overclock? or is it just for testing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I've used ATI Tool always on my ATI cards.
    There are better drivers out there than the Omega ones. I've always had good results from the NGO drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

a good point made by Kdjac! with al this talk of overclocking its important to give a guide to cooling a GFX card too ..............

buy a gfx cooler i got the zalman fant1ty gfx cooler and its class !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

awhir wrote:
    buy a gfx cooler i got the zalman fant1ty gfx cooler and its class !!!!!

I used a Pentium 3 CPU cooler on a 9200 SE was up around 310 when *it* happened :D

Burned a hole right tru the card, if members comes back theres pics there of it, classic fire and smoke.

kdjac

Advertisement