Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hug the Tar baby

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Ive heard the words bitch, ****, whore etc used with malice too but like Mick they are not associated with lynching.

Where is Irish a predominant heritage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

RedPlanet wrote:
    I'd be curious to hear of what global societies have a heritage that is predominately Irish.

Sorry, I meant integrated immigrant societies - typed in haste and thought.

The majority of societies with integrated immigrant heritage appear to be of Irish decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Mick doesnt have the same hatred invested in it,so its not a fair comparison.

Not now. Around the 70's early 80's it referred to a stupid person (as did the others).
    Opps. I think you're white sheet is showing.

I really don't know what you are trying to infer.

Take a look at some of the Chris Rock goes on about.If told in the wrong place by the wrong person is liable to get the **** kicked out of you. Likewise with any other jokes or other demographics.
    Hobart wrote:
    Would you say the same about an non-Irish person making fun of the Mick/Paddy reference in front of an Irish audience?

Yea if you have a British accent and its the wrong pub your telling them in. Anyway that comment you are trying to point towards snow was directed at PSI comment in reference to tribal joking.

Anyway, while some of you arguing it isn't offensive or no big deal to you, it clearly is to some people or a large number of media outlets wouldn't of reported it as an obvious faux pas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Well heres a thought, why not check and make sure?

Hmm lets see, had a rummage around.
    - Claimed on Fox News Plame was not a covert operative so her outing was ok. As well as other false related information.
    - Supported the Swift Boat Vets.
    - Made false statements to detract from Bushes champange squadron mess.
    - Claims that ID is on par with Evolution.
    - Various false claims in regards to the phone records/NSA incident to favor Bush.
    - Called Gitmo "the most humane prisoner-of-war facility in history"
    - Called Rights protestors "Idiots".

Sounds like a bit of a knob to me, but then someone who says a racially charged statement on thier first day is sort of a hint.

Hobbes, none of the above is anything other than disagreeing with your views and/or taking a Republican line on things - strongly in most cases. However, not everyone who disagrees with you is a racist. FYI. Do you have any actual reason to believe Snow is a racist other than hes a Republican - which is not the same thing?

Prince Phillips history of being a knob is based on a series of comments, jokes and remarks that make it quite clear that he cant be trusted to travel anywhere foreign without being gagged beforehand.
    Anyway, while some of you arguing it isn't offensive or no big deal to you, it clearly is to some people or a large number of media outlets wouldn't of reported it as an obvious faux pas.

Like I said before, this whole freakout is just an attempt to smear Snow as early as possible. Snow should avoid such phrases, but only because a puritan witchunt will be declared by political enemies.

Sand wrote:
    Hobbes, none of the above is anything other than disagreeing with your views and/or taking a Republican line on things

You have basically said that Lying is the Republican stance!

I wasn't talking about difference of opinions in regards to Tony Snow, I was pointing out actual lying that he has done. As for his stance on Gitmo/Intelligent Design, it is hardly the republicans of a wholes wishes. More the neocons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

psi wrote:
    The majority of societies with integrated immigrant heritage appear to be of Irish decent.

I don't understand that. Where are you talking about?
    If you're talking about America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, I suppose you mean that Irish people only really emigrated en masse to where the majority of people were all the same colour anyway.
    All those countries were settled by Europeans, both us pasty Northern Europeans and the more swarthy Mediterranean Europeans.

In no way were the Irish ever the majority of any immigrants anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Hobbes wrote:

Take a look at some of the Chris Rock goes on about.If told in the wrong place by the wrong person is liable to get the **** kicked out of you. Likewise with any other jokes or other demographics..

I wasn't aware you were of the same "tribe" as Chris Rock. Also you didnt seem to be joking.

I wasn't aware you were of the same "tribe" as Chris Rock. Also you didnt seem to be joking.

wtf are you on about?

Advertisement