Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship Playoff Final - Leeds V Watford (scores etc)

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Well done Watford.

Leeds just didnt show up and Watford tore them apart.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

pity. Will Leeds survive without their Prem money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

blu_sonic wrote:
    pity. Will Leeds survive without their Prem money?

To be totally blunt, hope not. Always hated Leeds since Yeboah took a dive to relegate us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

See you next season in Championship Leeds, Shef Wed already rebuilding so we are ready. Seeing as we already won this season against you get ready.

Poor Poor Watford, the new Sunderland of the season, they havent a hope. As Mike said an easy 6 points. But sure the money will do they good. Seeing as they couldnt fill the stadium doesnt look well for them when Shef Wed in the League One playoff final filled the ground and took any spare tickets available. God I had bad boards!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,510 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Only team to be sorry for is Sunderland...they will lose their record of low points in the Premiership. Leeds will survive next season without the PL money, they have done it for two seasons. we shall get there next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Best team on the day won. Congrats.

Mushy wrote:
    Only team to be sorry for is Sunderland...they will lose their record of low points in the Premiership. Leeds will survive next season without the PL money, they have done it for two seasons. we shall get there next year
    but for the last 2 season they've been getting prem money (parachute payment)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

although i do think the premiership would be better for having leeds in it, i cant help but feel happier that watford will be, as said already, an easy 6 points, plus we wont have to feast our eyes on that manky new leeds jersey whenever we want to watch match of the day. :D

but for the last 2 season they've been getting prem money (parachute payment)

Wouldnt that not be continuing for all clubs then? Looks like im off to Turf Moor next season instead of St. James' Park now

Mushy wrote:
    Wouldnt that not be continuing for all clubs then? Looks like im off to Turf Moor next season instead of St. James' Park now

Any club that gets relegated gets 2 years parachute money so now you've got nothing. Next season is our last money payments from the Premier League.

WELL DONE MALKY you deserve to go up and stay up on your 3rd attempt

• Advertisement

Leeds Fans Distraught, Aidy Boothroyd good gaffer

Ah i see, thats worrying. ah, im sure it'll be ok and we shall get promotion next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Mushy wrote:
    Ah i see, thats worrying. ah, im sure it'll be ok and we shall get promotion next year
    It's gonna be tougher with West Brom, Sunderland and Brum City back in the mix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

el rabitos wrote:
    i cant help but feel happier that watford will be, as said already, an easy 6 points
    I've only glanced through the thread but I've seen two comments to this effect and I can't believe it. You may be right, but who's to say that they will be an easier six points than Leeds would have been? Is it just because Leeds are a 'bigger' club? Come on. Watford have been the better team all season, just look at the table. And they were a hell of a lot stronger than Leeds today.
    Congrats Watford, deserved both over the season and the balance of play today.

Have to agree with you Necromomicon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Wasnt impressed with Leeds throughout the playoffs. No disrespect but they seemed an ordinary team. Watfrd had an explosive side to their game and were the better team today and throughout the playoffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

el rabitos wrote:
    although i do think the premiership would be better for having leeds in it, i cant help but feel happier that watford will be, as said already, an easy 6 points
    You do know who Tommy Mooney is don't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Well done to Watford and they deserved it . they were by far the better team on the day. As for people saying they will be an easy 6 points, is this merely because they are a small club? They have a quality manager and have some decent players. Admittedly a lot of work has to be done at the club, but i wouldnt be calling them an easy 6 points just yet.

WAit there, im bitter now that Leeds didnt win so ya probably wont see on this forum till this time next season celebratin promotion

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Just didnt happen today. Blackwell got the tactics wrong by playing too deep, Watford got a huge slice of luck with the second goal because it was a Leeds throw and it went in off Sullivan after hitting the post.

Didnt deserve it on the day. Congrats Watford, good luck next season.

Very depressed here :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Happy Watford got promoted, hopefully they'll keep on Eagles and Foster and give them some premiership experience.

Thought Miller was pretty disappoing for Leeds today, considering how people have said he has done so far, I think this was his big chance to impress, and I figure he'll end up at Leeds again next season, probably for good.

Watford deserved it, it's about time somebody in 3rd place got promoted, and they should be a good team. Even they strength right, which is in defense and midfield, they have the pace and power up front to stay up.

You do know who Tommy Mooney is don't you?

should i?
    I've only glanced through the thread but I've seen two comments to this effect and I can't believe it. You may be right, but who's to say that they will be an easier six points than Leeds would have been? Is it just because Leeds are a 'bigger' club? Come on. Watford have been the better team all season, just look at the table. And they were a hell of a lot stronger than Leeds today.
    Congrats Watford, deserved both over the season and the balance of play today.

i dont know what the other people that say its an easier 6 points are basing that opinion on, me personaly, i just reckon leeds would have been able to attract better players than watford will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:
    Happy Watford got promoted, hopefully they'll keep on Eagles and Foster and give them some premiership experience..

Eagles isnt good enough for the premiership. I cant see united keeping him hold of him. Hes even worse then kieran richardson. Fosters not too bad though, dont know if hes quite ready for top flight yet though. Agree with you on miller though. He went missing for the match. Not suprised he was subbed. Dont know how he expects to get his game as united when he cant step up his performance when it really matters. Again i cant see united holding onto him.

Delighted watford went up. They were the much better team today. First time in a long time the top 3 teams have been promoted.

As for the person who said they are just like sunderland, i dont know how you get that idea. They are a much more attractive side to watch. You can see from their formation they like attacking football. Played with a 4-4-2 formation all season. Decent wingers aswell and were very good on the counter attack. Marlon king to be the next darren bent/ andy johnson? wouldnt be suprised.

I think they have a very good first 11, they lack experience though. Two signings for the first 11 in defence and midfield are needed. However they need to strengthen their squad in general a good bit.

Anyway, we all sheff united will be the new sunderland(please god).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Great to see for once in a while that passion, commitment, belief and not money can get you success.

Congratulations Watford. By far the better side today and all season. They'll be a unique addition to the Premeirship next season.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Great to see for once in a while that passion, commitment, belief and not money can get you success.

Yeah that £20m debt Leeds have must mean they are loaded :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just back from the pub. No complaints, the better team won, but that doesn't mean I'm not totally gutted. Without wanting it to sound like sour grapes, Leeds had a definite penalty denied when the keeper decided to try a rugby tackle and the second goal was a freak. Not saying Leeds wouldn't have lost anyway, but if either had gone in their favour they might have managed to squeeze something out of the game. Fair play to the fans, the sung their hearts out, and to Kevin Blackwell who's worked wonders. Beyond that, I really don't know what to say, I'm just absolutely devastated.

Kingp35 wrote:

Certainly didnt stop them on the tranfer front though.

Well it was hardly extravagent spending. Rob Hulse for £1.1m was the biggest buy by a long way, and even most Leeds fans were surprised that there was that much money available. Ken Bates has done an amazing job in getting the debt down, although I doubt there'll be a huge amout to spend next year either. The lack of parachute payments has been mentioned, but on the plus side the contracts of some of the ex-Leeds players that were offloaded who Leeds are still paying are coming to an end. Robbie Fowler's was due to end this season even before his transfer, which would save Leeds £10,000 a week apparently, and there are 10 other players that they are reportedly still paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Kingp35 wrote:

I wasn't referring to Leeds.

:rolleyes:

I think Kingp35 realised that and was trying to point out that Watford are probably in a better financial situation than Leeds and that Blackwell has done amazingly well considering the state of the club he took over.

And I'll just add this because it seems obligatory - :rolleyes: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Eagles isnt good enough for the premiership. I cant see united keeping him hold of him. Hes even worse then kieran richardson.

He is nowhere near good enough for United, but I think he might be able to make it in a lower premiership team, hence hoping they'll keep him to give him a chance.
    He is nowhere in the league of Richardson, he could actually make it, even at united. You know he averages two goals a game for england :P :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

PHB wrote:
    He is nowhere near good enough for United, but I think he might be able to make it in a lower premiership team, hence hoping they'll keep him to give him a chance.
    He is nowhere in the league of Richardson, he could actually make it, even at united. You know he averages two goals a game for england :P :D

Good to see you back PHB , I assume the others are back too.

There were great hopes for Eagles a few years ago but unfortunately he has not progressed as expected.

Some fans on other forums seem to be in the mindframe that Leeds are going to be struggling again financially. Amazingly we had a wage bill of £19m this season, £16m of which was paid to people no longer involved with the club. Thats crazy but the good news is that the majority of those payments end in June. Leeds also received £1.4m from todays game which Bates hadnt budgeted for and £500,000 from the FA cup replay which wasnt budgeted for, so the finances are not as bad as some are making out although not receiving the parachute payments will hurt, that is where the money for transfers came from I feel.

Its obvious that money will be far tighter next season. One thing I think is hilarious is this figure of £12m thats being thrown around by people that Leeds spent this season. In fact their entire squad was put together for £5.3m, that inludes all last years signings and the £1.1m spent on Bakke those years ago.

Sad day for Leeds and im devestated, just didnt get the run of the ball today, but time to start thinking about next season. Im already looking forward to beating sheffield Wednesday Nelly :)

PHB wrote:

Richardson is a lower premiership team player. A club just above WBA quality. Eagles is a championship player.

As a liverpool fan i would be delighted to see them both get regular starts for united though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Richardson is a lower premiership team player. A club just above WBA quality.

I don't agree with you on that Chucky, I think that Richardson would have become a very good premiership player this year if he hadn't opted to stay at united and fight for his place.

He would have been much better served playing in his favoured position week-in week-out for WBA(on-loan) again this season. Then he would probably be on the plane to Germany in two weeks.

He could have reconciled his place in the England team this year, that would have made it very hard fot Alex Ferguson not to pick him next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭KeithMur

Just a note to say i'm gutted. Really looking forward to the game and was really disappointed with Sullivan. I've always had the highest regards for him prior to this game given his experience but he just didn't command the box. He never once made a decision to come and collect. How can a team of players not get themselves pumped up for a game like this. Maybe a few of them thought that if they get promoted Kevin and Ken would have to find better replacements.

Maybe I'm being too harsh but I was so dissapointed with the performance. No one got hold of the ball and said "Lets just pass it around, calm things down and move forward as a unit", it was all "hoof and boof". All three forwards were lacking the creativity needs (Hulse, Lewis and Blake) and the midfield was totally by-passed. We have some good players individually but on some occasions they have been lacking as a unit.

Another year of getting up to watch "The Championship" on Sunday mornings.

Absolutely Gutted

KeithMur wrote:
    Maybe I'm being too harsh but I was so dissapointed with the performance. No one got hold of the ball and said "Lets just pass it around, calm things down and move forward as a unit", it was all "hoof and boof". All three forwards were lacking the creativity needs (Hulse, Lewis and Blake) and the midfield was totally by-passed. We have some good players individually but on some occasions they have been lacking as a unit.

Thats it in a nutshell. You cant blame Miller and Douglas in the centre because all they could do was watch the ball sailing over their head. KB got it very very wrong today. Butler should not have started because the team had to play deep because of the lack of pace at the back. Then with Hulse up top by himself he didnt have a chance. The side was far too negative and Blackwell has got to take the blame for that. Bring on Southend away :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Have no complaints (bar the penalty decision that we should have been given and that FOOL of a linesman), the better team won. Absolutely gutted. Guy beside me said not to worry, he's a derby supporter and we're guarenteed 6 points next season :(

twas nice of him but forced home the point that we're still gonna be playing them next season.

guess its time to get a sub to LUTV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Kingp35 wrote:
    You cant blame Miller and Douglas in the centre because all they could do was watch the ball sailing over their head. KB got it very very wrong today.

I agree with you completely. It was screaming out for the ball to be moved about on the floor, to give the wingers time to get up in support.

I couldn't understand why everytime you got the ball back at the back, it was just a toe up the field and a watford defender mopped up and sent the ball straight back at you.

Linesmen and Ref were poor. Mike Dean got too card happy and gave miller a card even though he didn't make contact.

Two crucial decisions went against you that could have changed the game
    1) The push and Rugby tackle by Foster, should have been a peno
    2) The throw before the second goal being given against you.

Hard luck, hope you can get into the same position next year as you probably won't have much cash to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

el rabitos wrote:
    i dont know what the other people that say its an easier 6 points are basing that opinion on, me personaly, i just reckon leeds would have been able to attract better players than watford will.
    I'll let you go find out who he is then before the next time you give it the "easy six points" lark so.

• Advertisement

I'll let you go find out who he is then before the next time you give it the "easy six points" lark so.

you'll let me? god bless u sir

i didnt say i didnt know who he was, i just dont see your point tbh. its 2006 not 1998

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Congrats to the glory hornet boys, great to see them win...think they deserved it...boothroyd has done a great job!

Advertisement