Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Campus

Options
  • 19-05-2006 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

hello there,

im hoping to go to ucd next year and live on the campus. so i thought i might ask here if any of yas could tell me what it is like.. i mean how do the rooms look... is there a bathroom for everyroom?! any chances of double beds :D ?? or even better could anybody take some pictures and upload them? im sorry if this topic was already discussed but the search doesnt work somehow..

so long..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

if you do a forum search there have been numerous threads about this in the past!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

tintinr35 wrote:
    if you do a forum search there have been numerous threads about this in the past!!
    They've disabled the search button, as it was killing the server

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 schnupi

sorr..r.r.ry .. but as i said the forum search didnt work for me .. thx anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

don't worry boss, the search is disabled, I'm sure some obliging young cultchy will upload pictures of their apartment for you, just stick around!

cool thanks... jesus the speed of the replys :D ....like magic ^^

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

yer, most people are on here putting off studying... myself, I'm finished exams, so I'm relaxing :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Where do you live?
    AFAIK, preference is given to people who live far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

If you're an undergrad then typically its 3-4 bedrooms to an apt, share a kitchen and living. No en suite, so it's either 2 bathrooms to share or a bathroom and a shower room.

Postgrad (and occasional final year) res, Glenomena, it's 6 bedrooms per apt, all with en suite. Share a living room and kitchen. No oven.

No double beds on res at all.

More info on the links provided above.

• Advertisement

Pythia wrote:
    Where do you live?
    AFAIK, preference is given to people who live far away.

well i guess i would count as an international student. ATM i live in wicklow but that just with a host family and im gonna return to germany this year after the leaving cert. so i dunno as what exactly i would count because i am applying through cao.. well either first year or international student (non-exchange) or continuing international student

this page u gave me is that new? i could be mistaken but never saw it before.. well thanks if i ve other questions i ll ask later

schnupi wrote:
    well i guess i would count as an international student. ATM i live in wicklow but that just with a host family and im gonna return to germany this year after the leaving cert. so i dunno as what exactly i would count because i am applying through cao.. well either first year or international student (non-exchange) or continuing international student

this page u gave me is that new? i could be mistaken but never saw it before.. well thanks if i ve other questions i ll ask later

Well if you put your address as Germany you will pretty certainly get it I would think.
    I don't think that page is very new. At least a few weeks old anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Pythia wrote:
    Well if you put your address as Germany you will pretty certainly get it I would think.
    I don't think that page is very new. At least a few weeks old anyway.

Agree put your German address down. I know in the past though they tend to have stuck foriegn students together though which is a bit of a drag i think.
    Campus is nice and you'll definatly enjoy it but get your application in asap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Don't forget you have to pay a deposit about 500 or more and pay your residence fees at the start of the year or in instalments if you went to the open day in UCD or at the RDS then you should have the form to apply for residence on campus.

Chakar wrote:
    Don't forget you have to pay a deposit about 500 or more and pay your residence fees at the start of the year or in instalments if you went to the open day in UCD or at the RDS then you should have the form to apply for residence on campus.

well no i dont have it.. sure i thought applications are in august so i ve enough time.. i was talking to carl lusby .. dunno if yas know her. hey when does the school yr start in ucd? i heared its much earlier then other universities..

roebuck hall residence looks quite good in comparison wit reobuck castle residence.. i think im gonna go for the roebuck hall residence:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

oh ye and view months is new enough for me :D

here is another question.. what is the story with plates, glasses etc. in the kitchens?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

schnupi wrote:
    hey when does the school yr start in ucd? i heared its much earlier then other universities..
    Mid September, afair it was the 17th this year.

Its the 12th September for first years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

schnupi wrote:
    here is another question.. what is the story with plates, glasses etc. in the kitchens?!

You gotta supply your own, they usually just give you basics - kettle, toaster, microwave....Your flat mates will rob them and never wash em, you'll get over it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

schnupi wrote:

all you get given is a kettle and a toaster really, no microwave but obviously an oven(but not in the new Roebuck accomm apparently!) just get everyone in the gaff to chip in and get all that kinda stuff yourselves (or bring a couple each from home)

p_larkin99 wrote:
    all you get given is a kettle and a toaster really, no microwave but obviously an oven(but not in the new Roebuck accomm apparently!) just get everyone in the gaff to chip in and get all that kinda stuff yourselves (or bring a couple each from home)

So no oven even in new Roebuck?? Thought they would have learned from the Glenomena mistake. If there is no oven, they'll have to supply a microwave.
    A few from home is the best plan really.

• Advertisement

cast_iron wrote:
    So no oven even in new Roebuck?? Thought they would have learned from the Glenomena mistake. If there is no oven, they'll have to supply a microwave.
    A few from home is the best plan really.

i don't think there will be ovens in new roebuck (as theyre trying to avoid these apparent fire hazards as no-one cleans the ovens :) ) lazy students!

You can always...errr....'acquire' glasses and the likes as well...

New Roebuck will be decent though, as it will be very close to the Spar (Off-license)

And you HAVE to get a George Foreman! every student needs one, cook everything.

p_larkin99 wrote:
    i don't think there will be ovens in new roebuck (as theyre trying to avoid these apparent fire hazards as no-one cleans the ovens :) ) lazy students!
    Next they wont let you open a window in case you fall out...no wait, they already done that! (Well 3 inches isnt much:D )
    p_larkin99 wrote:
    And you HAVE to get a George Foreman! every student needs one, cook everything.

Yea, George is hard to beat (George Foreman that is:D ). easier to clean than any oven.

Blowfish wrote:
    Mid September, afair it was the 17th this year.

Nah, it was the 12th this year and will be the 11th this year.
    First years are in from the 4th September.
    http://www.ucd.ie/registrar/dates.htm

Pythia wrote:
    Nah, it was the 12th this year and will be the 11th this year.
    First years are in from the 4th September.
    http://www.ucd.ie/registrar/dates.htm

4th September!! I only went to college on the 12th!! Did I miss much!!

EDIT: Oh yeah for the registering yeah I went into college to register.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

*pats head* There there!

I still find the idea of a year without an oven really weird to grasp. But the pluses and minuses have to be added up! The ovens on campus (and the fridges) esp. in Belgrove were crap when I had friends living there as a fresher.

Not staying here though. Where to live?:(

cast_iron wrote:
    Next they wont let you open a window in case you fall out...no wait, they already done that! (Well 3 inches isnt much:D )

Funny that, i could get outta my window in merville last year (i was on the first floor by the way!)

In Glenomena, they have restrictors on them. Though they can be taken off fairly handy. Some guys used to pop out onto the laundrette roof from 1st floor in house 4 - for a bbq.
    Till they got caught.

wow 4th september is fairly early isnt it? dcu starts on the 17th for first yrs i think.. ah well at least it ll be over earlier^^ .. i could go on and ask bout the course i wanna do (commerce+french/german) but .. ah well ..thanks for d info btw!!

whos george foreman btw?! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I actually cant remember my life without my george foreman.....How did students cook before them??
    I dont think we ever used our oven once in Belgrove or roebuck,maybe once or twice for pizza.I suppose jodi mItchell was right'you dont know what you've got till its gone' . Can you cook pizza on a George Foreman.Im thinking you could cos its a grill and all?

• Advertisement

Id say u could do a pizza, prob pasta too!?

Advertisement