Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pain relief for tooth agony

• 19-05-2006 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

I know I am going to get a BIG telling off but I am dying of pain and cant get to the dentist till Tuesday.
    Major throbbing in tooth since Wedneday night/Thursday,I mean real agony enough to cry. Have hardly slept and the pain is radiating across my jaw and to my ear. I have tried the Nurofen plus route, but two three times a day just doesn't cut it AT ALL. More like two every three hours,throbbing eases but then comes back with a vengeance. supplemented with the odd sachet of Aulin100 my husband had left over (given by dentist) but I've now run out of those.
    I am still in pain -obviously feel sick.
    I know I am taking more than the recommended dose but the alternative is to throw myself under a lorry. Any suggestions please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Go to the Acident and emergeny in the dublin dental hospital in the morning at 8:30 thay MAY see you if it is a abcess. Simples tooth aches may not be seen
    http://web1.dental.tcd.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=519

Just realised it was a saturday tomorrow you would have to ring first and speak to the dentist on call first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Go to the Acident and emergeny in the dublin dental hospital in the morning at 8:30 thay MAY see you if it is a abcess. Simples tooth aches may not be seen
    http://web1.dental.tcd.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=519

I can't - just impossible:(

Well no painkiller will really do much....neurofen will do nothing more the more you take so stick to the manufacturers instructions for all medications.. If its not bad enough for you to absoutly have to go to a dentist immediatly then your stuck with it untill you can or it does get bad enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Why do you have to wait til Thursday?

You could go to the doctor and get a prescription for topical pain relief, something containing lidocaine for example.

It's a real shame you can't get pain relief containing *caine over the counter here, if you go up north you can get little vials of lidocaine in any chemist!
    Even bonjella teething gel in the Republic is totally useless because it doesn't contain this anaesthetic, unlike the version sold in the UK :-/

teeth hurt because the nerve inside is dead, dying or inflamed....topical anaesthetics will do nothing. Bonjella is useful for mouth ulcers and will do nothing for a tooth ache. Eugenol or clove oil can help some types of mild tooth ache. Lidocaine/lidocaine is a local anaesthetic that really needs to be injected to be useful....topically it will only penetrate about 2 mm into the gum and will not touch tooth pain. The solution....remove the cause...that means remove the tooth, the decay or the pulp. Sorry but its as simple as that. If anyone reads this that has a hole in a tooth, a broken tooth or a niggle in a tooth go see your dentist now....it will only get worse...and usually will start on a friday night so you have it all weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭shell022

This works for me but i think only becuase i've never taken pain killers before but i've a whole in my tooth which is getting worse. I take Dispern Direct and it takes the pain away in about 15 mins. I am in terrible terrible pain at the moment and have to take these about twice a day and it works a treat.

And yes i know i have to go get it sorted but its not that easy... but thats another story.

If anyone reads this that has a hole in a tooth, a broken tooth or a niggle in a tooth go see your dentist now....it will only get worse...

Yeah I WISH!
    I broke a tooth yesterday and had to ring about 15 dentists before one very kind dentist in Ranelagh said she would come in specially on Saturday morning to fix up the tooth.

Why is it so difficult to get private dental treatment in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

eth0_ wrote:
    Yeah I WISH!
    I broke a tooth yesterday and had to ring about 15 dentists before one very kind dentist in Ranelagh said she would come in specially on Saturday morning to fix up the tooth.

Why is it so difficult to get private dental treatment in Dublin?

Not wanting to sound smart...but they are usually up to thier eyes with emergencys...I can only speak for my wife's place of work, They will always try and get an emergency in before and of the pre booked work...But alot of the time she says they are simply far too busy.

But there are so many dentists in Dublin, how can they all be busy for weeks in advance? I hope it's not going to get like the UK..

Advertisement