Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free WiFi in Shannon airport...security?

• 19-05-2006 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭

Shannon aiport has Free WiFi, but the airport website gives this warning....

>Users will require their own WiFi enabled computer equipment and should have "administrator" rights on their computer to access the WiFi network. The WiFi network is unsecured and users are responsible for their own internet protection measures e.g. firewall, anti-virus and anti-"spyware".<

Does this mean there's quite a high risk of virus & spyware attack if i use my laptop there?
    Is there anything i can do to protect myself other than the usual anti-virus and anti-spyware programmes?

...I was gonna log on to my laptop as a "guest" but now realise i have to log on as "administrator" which increases the risks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Does your laptop allow guest acc to use WiFi, if yes then you will not have a problem the notice is just to cover them in the eventuallity (SP?)

Why has shannon still got free WiFi, that scheme was abandoned months ago, guess its just more government support for the barn in the field that is Shannon Airport. :rolleyes:

Shinto wrote:
    Shannon aiport has Free WiFi, but the airport website gives this warning....

>Users will require their own WiFi enabled computer equipment and should have "administrator" rights on their computer to access the WiFi network. The WiFi network is unsecured and users are responsible for their own internet protection measures e.g. firewall, anti-virus and anti-"spyware".<

Does this mean there's quite a high risk of virus & spyware attack if i use my laptop there?
    Is there anything i can do to protect myself other than the usual anti-virus and anti-spyware programmes?

...I was gonna log on to my laptop as a "guest" but now realise i have to log on as "administrator" which increases the risks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

They're just covering their asses. Just take the usual precautions, e.g. if you use the security PITA that is Windows you should absolutely have up-to-date anti-virus software and firewall (in defence of Microsoft, SP2 has a pretty good firewall built in).

Also, if you do things like check your email, I recommend that you use a secure connection such as SSL, otherwise passwords may be sent in the clear. In fact, I recommend this for everybody, no matter how or where you access your email. I haven't used Outlook for a couple of years, but there should be an option to enable it. On the Mac, if you're using Mail, all you have to do is check the "Use SSL" box (Mail -> Preferences -> Accounts).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

thank you for your advice.

Advertisement