Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site slow from one provider but not others

• 19-05-2006 10:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

Mods: Please feel free to move this if needs be...

A client's website that we're currently looking at is taking over 10 mins to load up the homepage in our office connection, but both at home, and in our neighbouring offices it loads up under 10 seconds.

I'm trying to work out why it would be just this one site, so I called the BB provider who were pretty clueless, and suggested that it was my internal network, even though she tried it and got the same response times of 10 mins.

I tried using an online anonymous proxy (www.the-cloak.com) to see if that made any difference - and it did the page loaded in 10 seconds!!!

I browsed around the site just to check it wasn't cached.

Has anyone any ideas of the source of this problem? is is the hosting company who have a certain range of IP addresses blocked / restricted, or who have routing issues, the server admin who has a strange setup on their machine? is it the BB provider who have a dodgy connection somewhere?

Any ideas, thoughts, or how I would identify the cause? or maybe a solution for this? as it's really bugging the hell out of the guys who are going to be working with the site.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Try running a tracert to the website. That may give an indication where the hold up is. Different ISPs may well produce different routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

ok, just did a traceroute on my mac here at home to the website and got to the site within 5 seconds. It seems to leave my ISP and directly onto the network where the site is hosted.

I've also just VNC'ed into my office, and ran a tracert from a machine in there, it's going from the office ISP over to london, and back to dublin, getting slow at 2 of the nodes in london, level3 is in the name of the domain of the nodes.

ok so it would appear to me that the guys in level3 have some network issues - is this a case of give them a call and explain the situation to them - and send them my traceroute log and get them to investigate? or contact the ISP and get them to resolve it? or is it just one of those things that I can't do fook all about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Try getting in touch with the ISP. They might be able to do something. I can't see you getting much joy on your own by going to the node administrator, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

I thought as much, looking at their website - www.level3.net they look like one of those faceless, no actual people work here, giant multinationals...

I'm not looking forward to trying to explain all of this to a call centre person, lets just hope that I can talk to someone at least a bit technical...

Any idea how I would find out if there are other sites effected? It would make a better case than just one website...

Advertisement