Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

K + N Filter

Options
  • 20-05-2006 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭

was looking at getting k+n filter
    would cost 75-80 euros
    worth getting over normal filter
    does it help
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

What are you fitting it to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

cherokee 2.5 crd diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

I am going to fit a panel filter to the focus at the next service.

The extra cost is offset by the fact it can be cleaned and re-oiled, and they do supposedly add a little extra due to the improved airflow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

Don't know about a diesel and if you were considering a panel (direct replacement) or a cone filter but I what I did was disconnect the pipe between the air filter box and the engine on a damp day (To minimise risk of getting dust, etc. into the engine) and take the car for a quick spin - this should give a good idea of what it will be like with a cone filter in regards to both sound and power.
    Also, if considering a cone filter, make sure there are no sensors on the existing airbox!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

a problem i came across on a mercedes forum with k&n filters is that the oil they are coated with is apparently bad for the air flow sensor and causes it to fail prematurely. when you think about it, it makes sense. i can't imagine that oil landing on a very slim hot wire can be very good for it in the long run.

• Advertisement

was looking at k+n panel replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

was looking at k+n panel replacement

The K&N panel filter is the same material as their cone filter i.e oiled fabric.

As a poster has mentioned there is evidence that this oil might damage the MAF sensor.

IMHO there is no reason bar claimed long life for fitting an after market panel filter. It will result in little or no extra power etc.

dont have a sensor to worry about
    its not about more power ,just better out of
    talke d to few who big into there cars,they say less restriction on air and helps your mpg
    over all costs are less as you dont have also to change the filter every year:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

all modern direct injection turbodiesels have a MAF sensor so unfortunately you do have to worry about it. an ordinary clean air filter is a much better bet than a freeflow filter as diesels dont have the same requirements of fuel mixing in the manifold as petrols do. you would be better off making sure your intercooler is clean and working as it should be than wasting your money on something which may give a negative rather than a positive effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I fitted a JR oil filter (almost identical to K&N) a few years ago. I didn't notice any improvement in power or mpg. Also, the cleaning fluid & oil is not cheap.
    Stick with stock

• Advertisement

friend has just fitted one to his diesel,will see how he get on

Advertisement