Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 Ireland have 3g

Options
  • 20-05-2006 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

I went into an o2 in waterford today expecting to get a USim card (3g Sim card) in replacement of mycurrent sim card. I expected a sim upgrade to be free. was i mistaken! o2 wanted to charge me 150 euro for the sim upgrade, and wanted me to sign up for pay monthly contract, with options being 30 euro month, 60 129, and 199 i think (definitely options well over 100 euro a month)

However, My new nokia n80 tells me when I am in 3g coverage. Also,when i sent multimedia messages when in 3g coverage, the transfer rates are extremely fast, far faster than GPRS. Watching the Connection Manager onmy phone, it transfers at about 20-25 kB a second. (sending a 100K multimedia msg inless than 5 seconds) Thats 200k bit/sec. far faster than GPRS speeds. Which leads me to think that I may already be getting 3g network connectivity on my phone. So the 3g card for 150 euro would literally just be for gimmicky video calls? DOnt get me wrong, video calls are a brilliant idea for boyfriends and girlfriends to see each other, or family to see loved ones who are away, but i know about 3 of my friends who have 3g phones, and their all pretty ugly! :D So wont be video calling them!:p

So whats the deal with o2? If i switch to vodafone, ill get a free USim, and can justwork away. Y are o2 charging such hilarious prices?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You're talking nonsense.

It doesn't cost 150 euro for a 3G sim upgrade from O2. It's free if you have a 3G handset and only a 2.5G card.

You sure you/they weren't getting confused and offering you a 3G data card for 150 euro or something... with data card tariffs?

O2 does not have video calling.

In my experience (I put my 2.5G O2 Sim in a 6630) you don't need a 3G sim to get 3G speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you might well be getting charged the gprs data carges tho, which would be much higher than 3g i'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

GPRS and 3G data charges are the same ....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

really? that ass suckingly bad?

that's like charging the same for dialup as for dsl. seems a bit daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

vibe666 wrote:
    really? that ass suckingly bad?

that's like charging the same for dialup as for dsl. seems a bit daft.
    Eircoms Net Anytime costs €29.99/month for 150 hours of dialup. Eircom Broadband Home Starter also costs €29.99/month.

(Only in Ireand???)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

dermoto wrote:

However, My new nokia n80 tells me when I am in 3g coverage. ............

So were did you get the N80 and what network are you on??

Advertisement