Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technology behind the Wiimote

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

monument wrote:
    Yeah, but in theory the PS3 controller with two hands on it may work better for flight or racing game.
    You can hold the wiimote in two hands if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

protos wrote:
    Well it depends on the programming API that developers are given to work with in the console game development kits.
    I'm sure neither Nintendo nor Sony would give the hardware to developers without giving them a hefty API that offers all sorts of different ways to access the input and various layers of abstaction. Third parties have been praising the ease of developing for the Wii.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So the PS3 controller is better as it is to be held in 2 hands, great for flying and racing games?
    I suppose the video of the Wii-mote being held at each end during the demo of ExciteTruck covers the latter and it doesn't take a genius to suppose it couldn't be held upright like a flight controller, although surely the resistance and accuracy of a thumb/joystick is far more appropriate for flying titles.

This thread seems to have simply become a forum for Nintendo/Sony bashing though, a bit daft given they have not been launched yet.

Perhaps folk should declare their loyalties, if any, before making a comment, just so as everyone knows what their agenda is.
    It's just some people refuse to laud originality and refuse to condemn the mundane depending on which company is involves, a subtle unpleasant aspect to fanboyism.

The only reason I will not buy a PS3 at launch is the price. Having bought a 360 at launch I found it simply not yet worth the money, in fact the only game I am playing on it at the mo is a copy of KOTOR2 I picked up for €9 in gamestop, not going down that avenue again for a while, so if you have the means get one by all means but like the majority of punters I will stick to the current gen and get a Wii when its launched, simply because its novel approach to games and it's affordable price point.

And regarding the ease of developing for the Wii, it was said that the machine was as simple as the 'cube to make games for yet the article with Ubisoft, the developers of launch title Red Steel don't have the finished hardware yet and are playing on an underpowered development PC.
    But it must be a damn sight easier than the 360 and PS3, so much time and effort devoted to HD gaming that most folk don't nor won't have for the forseeable future, the people who use this site are hardly typical of the bulk of console owners out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    surely the resistance and accuracy of a thumb/joystick is far more appropriate for flying titles.

Yep, that's pretty much been my point for many of the Wii games. Yet it's only when someone points out the Sony pad might be good for something that people suddenly notice that traditional controls have their advantages.

I'm trying to bring a bit of balance to discussion, because I've noticed a trend that people tend to blindly follow Nintendo and criticise Sony, even in cases when both companies do the same thing. Whether it's supporting the underdog or people see Sony and MS as big evil corporations while Nintendo are all about the games I don't know. In reality all three of them are trying to make money, no more no less.

Anyway, I've pointed out a few times that the majority of Wii games are nothing more than gesture recognition, instead of 'Press A' you have 'swipe left' and instead of 'Press B' you have 'push forward' or whatever. And all this will lead to is slower reaction times and the possibility of incorrect gesture recognition/missed commands. Sticking with buttons and analog sticks is better. And Super Smash Bros seems to be the only game so far that's recognised that. The Wii controller will have it's advantages, Trauma Centre is an obvious example, Monkey Ball another, but taking games designed for traditional controllers and shoe-horning in motion sensing isn't going to bring the games industry forward.

Which is where I see the PS3 pad as being less gimmicky. Developers can take the Super Smash Bros. route in using standard controls when that's the most appropriate thing, without having to rely on consumers paying for a Classic controller peripheral so they can play them. Meanwhile, games that would genuinely benefit from motion sensing will have the option open to them, without it being forced or shoe-horned into games.

I'll be buying all 3 consoles and I like the fact that all 3 will have their differences now rather than 3 consoles that basically do the same thing like the last generation, where the only reason to buy more than one console was because different developers supported different ones.

This time they all have unique selling points, MS have a brilliantly well developed Live network, Live Arcade and the prospect of Windows integration, Nintendo have their unique controller and Virtual Console, and Sony have the combination of a perfect traditional controller with Motion Sensing functions also available, along with Blu Ray and Linux for those who are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

steviec wrote:
    This time they all have unique selling points, MS have a brilliantly well developed Live network, Live Arcade and the prospect of Windows integration, Nintendo have their unique controller and Virtual Console, and Sony have the combination of a perfect traditional controller with Motion Sensing functions also available, along with Blu Ray and Linux for those who are interested.

i agree...lets hope it forces developers to be a little more creative for their ports or it least brings up in number the ammount of games exclusive to each machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

steviec wrote:
    According to the official statement:

"In addition to the “3-posture-axis” of roll, pitch and yaw, “3-dimension acceleration information (X, Y, and Z)” can be detected in high-precision and in real-time."

The Wii does pointing and position, whereas the PS3 detects movement in a direction based on it's acceleration.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Balfa wrote:
    You can hold the wiimote in two hands if you like.

You can hold a PC mouse with two hands if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I don't think you get him, you can turn the wiimote sideways and use it properly :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Giblet wrote:
    I don't think you get him, you can turn the wiimote sideways and use it properly :)

Oh, right, if so, that is actualy news to me. Nice. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They also had a peripheral that was a steering wheel that the wiimote sat in. It's in the promo video at the start on the E3 press conference when they are playing Excitetruck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement