Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of my site?

Options
  • 20-05-2006 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering what you think of my site: http://halofest.net

And before yez say it; i know it might be dull and black but thats the only colour i can work well with.

Thanks all,
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

why do you have music on the site?
    and you should sort out your pop up new window script to work in IE and other browsers.
    And before yez say it; i know it might be dull and black but thats the only colour i can work well with.

that ain't going to float around here buddy! You know yourself you have a problem with the colour otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned that. You will need to get in far more colour. This site is meant as a gaming site for what seems to be a game which uses a lot of colour. Find out what the colour palatte is for the game and use that scheme to your advantage.

The forum skin looks grand but if i were you i'd look into getting a custom made one featuring the colour scheme i mentioned above as well as elements from the game. Give the forum a more personal look rather than a generic one :)

Besides from that there isn't a lot there. The blog and forum don't get any design or coding points, which you probably know yourself. And as well as that you don't seem to have a layout/interface that could have content easily intergrated into it. Fix yourself up a decent layout, read up on table/div/css layout and you have the bones of a site and develop it from there.

Best of luck, good domain too btw! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

da4i's wrote:

If your serious about web design and can only work well with black then thats a massive problem for you, what if you were given the task to design a website for a flower shop or a restaurant you would have to use colours that match the general theme or their corporate identity, as mentioned above gaming sites are usually quite flashy and bright with lots of colour. Having a swish, modern navigation menu helps things too. Take a look at bungies main site which has a nice futuristic, eye-catching interface, alot of other gaming sites have something similar, if you want to attract alot of ppl to your site you will need to examine these sites that work well and take into account what you can do to make your own site alot better for your target audience.

A good way of trying to improve the look of your website without going near any html is design up a mock in either photoshop or fireworks, keep at it till you've come up with a look that is perfect that you know thats gonna work really well, once your happy with that go ahead and code it in dreamweaver/css/xhtml. hope this helps

Advertisement