Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xml Rss Feeds

Options
  • 20-05-2006 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im putting together a small web site and I want to display BBC Horse Racing results on the web site.

I want to use their RSS feeds. I have bought web space from www.siteground.com .

Will I need to install some sort of newsreader to do this and where can I find such a newsreader?

Thanks,
    finnpark:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

See How do I get a news reader? - it gives a number of links

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Gosh wrote:
    See How do I get a news reader? - it gives a number of links

Hi Gosh,

Thanks for link.

What I would reslly like to do is to take data from the RSS feed and store in a database but Im not sure if that is possible:confused: ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Yeah it's possible. What language are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

finnpark wrote:

Will I need to install some sort of newsreader to do this and where can I find such a newsreader

magpie rss
    can take in the address of the rss feed, it then generates javascript that you place on a html page, the html page displays the feed. I have used this myself, its an fantastic peice of sotware. You'll need to install magpie on your server by just uploading it and configuring it a little bit, should only take about 5 minutes to have it up and running.

Magpie RSS requires PHP only

Evil Phil wrote:
    Yeah it's possible. What language are you using?

I am using PERL, and SQL for the database.

I got this link from William Hill http://banners.willhill.com/xml/ and I want to use one of their feeds to extract the horse names from their stream so that I can display horse racing cards on a web page.:confused: It would be good to take the horse names, race times, race meetings and store them in a database so that I could extract them from the database later to display on my website within a form field.

• Advertisement

magpie rss
    can take in the address of the rss feed, it then generates javascript that you place on a html page, the html page displays the feed. I have used this myself, its an fantastic peice of sotware. You'll need to install magpie on your server by just uploading it and configuring it a little bit, should only take about 5 minutes to have it up and running.

Magpie RSS requires PHP only

Cheers.

Since I am hosting my website at a commericial web hosting company will I need to get their administrators to do this for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

not at all, you just need to upload the scripts like you would with any script you would write for your website.

Advertisement