Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastcom

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Foxwood wrote:
    And if there's a ground strike nearby, it can run up the earthing stake, and straight into your PC.

Yeah, and I could go out today and get hit by a bus - both could happen IRL but slim chances. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

magnumlady wrote:
    Yeah, and I could go out today and get hit by a bus - both could happen IRL but slim chances. :)
    You're probably more likely to fall off the roof when you're up there trying to install the earthing strap on the Alvarion box!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

force-shutdown
    magnumlady wrote:
    I have seen these in-line CAT5 Surge Protectors on sale but it was on an American site. But it stated that they were used for POE units (power over Ethernet) they had a tail wire coming out of the unit which I predict is for joining up to a proper grounding or earthing point somewhere.

I wonder how efficient it would be to run a grounding wire up the pole and join it onto the earthing terminal at the back of my Alvarion dish (aerial) and then adjoin the other end of the cable to one of these earthing stakes you can drive into the ground so that if static does built up or lightning does hit it then it can travel straight to earth rather than my PC? - wonder if that would work effectively?

really bad idea, see my previous post.
    by doing this you are creating 2 separate earth systems. these WILL be at different potentials during a discharge event and this dramatically increases your risk of damage
    All that grounding needs to come back to one common earth, I.e Mains earth as part of a proper modern PME system.

In Ireland for a domestic WISP install don't worry about it, that WISP kit is far less risk to your PC than your phone line.
    If you feel you must worry about it then take time to understand how protection systems actually work and take steps to engineer things that way

one other option buy one of those consumer plugboards with transient protection and with protected RJ45 connectors and use one of them. Some of them come complete with largish guarantees covering connected equipment. These devices work quite well if used correclty.

You can also use MOV devices at the fuse board to protect the entire house, just make sure you do both the Live and the neutral and that you fully understand how they should be installed

To Summarise
    Badly done lightning protection measures are far more risky than doing nothing.
    The risks are very low in most domestic installations

.brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 6 djklauss

Hi there!
    For all most of alavarion's cpe's if you want to configure them you have to change your ip's settings at you pc like this.
    1. Configure the PC's IP parameters to enable connectivity with the unit. The IP address of the SU for local management access is 192.168.254.251. The Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0.

2. The recommended IP address for the PC is 192.168.254.250, as this is also the default TFTP Sever IP Address (required for downloading SW versions and for downloading/uploading configuration files).

3. Run the Telnet program or open a web browser, and connect to
    192.168.254.251. The “Enter the Password” prompt is displayed. Enter the
    password and press the Enter key.

The default password is "installer".

That's it, for any questions, just ask me!

Cheers!

PS. We'll resell as soon as we can the fastcom services in Letterkenny.

Advertisement