Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do you think about this emo phase??leaving metal..

• 20-05-2006 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

just wondering what people think about this emo "phase" thats happening..for one i realy cant stand it..from what iv seen i think its stupid..and will it just die out are will it stay???and all of a sudden people that were in to metal are just stating to go emo...not good at all!!!.

just seeing what other people that are in to metal think about it..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

from what iv seen i think its stupid..and will it just die out are will it stay???and all of a sudden people that were in to metal are just stating to go emo...not good at all!!!.

just seeing what other people that are in to metal think about it..

Looks like it's just another phase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

It was Nu-metal, then it was metalcore, and now its emo, same tripe, different name, still a load of whiny stop starty b*llocks. There have been bits of good music to come out of it, I still think Papa Roach's first album was excellent, as are Killswitch Engage, and Trivium have about a handful of songs with damn good music behind them. Give it 6months to a year and they will rename the general commercial dribble that comes out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Alright, let's keep this civil for a start. There have been too many threads like this which end in bitchslapping so first sign of ****e and this one gets locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I think you should stop worrying about what other people are listening to regardless of how "ARGGH IM SO ANGRY" you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's emo. if you don't like it, who cares?! I don't like country, therefore I don't listen to it, but I don't go about bitching about country. It's just another genre of music. You like music I assume. Just forget about the genres you don't like. Whining about them is just annoying and noone wants to hear it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It's emo. if you don't like it, who cares?! I don't like country, therefore I don't listen to it, but I don't go about bitching about country. It's just another genre of music. You like music I assume. Just forget about the genres you don't like. Whining about them is just annoying and noone wants to hear it.
    hear hear.

i don't like metal but you don't hear me saying that metal bands are totally talentless people who just roar into microphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Seriously, is what someone else is listening to really going to effect you?
    Cremo wrote:
    i don't like metal but you don't hear me saying that metal bands are totally talentless people who just roar into microphones.

But you just did. That's not on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Cremo wrote:
    hear hear.

Thats a very closed minded view, there are plenty of metal singers who have incredible voices, better than pop singers who are widely regarded (for some reason) as the the best singers of modern music dispite the fact that its all processed ****e.
    And not talent people?!?! once again, some of the best musicians in the world of modern music are metal musicians!
    oh and if you dont like metal, why are you on the metal/rock forum? and yes you could like rock and not metal, but theres a very fine line between the two.

And unfortunatly it does effect the people who dont listen to it, because its everywhere we go, i normally dont have a problam with what people listen to, I didnt like nu-metal but ignored it, but Emo is just bad, sorry but it is, technically, the music is degenerative and shows lack of skill, the vocals of emo ARE just shouting or that whining they do, and most emo bands sound the exact same, i cant tell the difference between Bullet For My Valentine, Funeral For A Friend and My Chemical Romance. And when I go to Fibbers or whatever "metal" bar there is, I dont want to listen to the same song over and over again about being "not ok", If you want to moan and complain at least do it right, i dunno form a death metal band or something.

By the way, im not slagging death metal or saying its whiney, im saying instead of whining about things, talk about how you want to kill people in various brutal ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Cremo (who's name you can't spell without emo, interesting) just said he didn't like metal but he wouldn't dismiss it outright. He didn't say that his view was that metal singers just roar into a mic. Relax people.

John2 wrote:
    Cremo (who's name you can't spell without emo, interesting) just said he didn't like metal but he wouldn't dismiss it outright. He didn't say that his view was that metal singers just roar into a mic. Relax people.

Well being that its the first thing that came to his mind when thinking of something to say about metal, and also taking into account that he actually included those views in his post when he could have excluded them, leads me to assume he does, to some degree, feel this way about metal

I think its a fair assumption, if I am incorrect ill allow myself to be corrected

• Advertisement

Cremo wrote:

For shame Cremo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Thats a very closed minded view, there are plenty of metal singers who have incredible voices, better than pop singers who are widely regarded (for some reason) as the the best singers of modern music dispite the fact that its all processed ****e.
    And not talent people?!?! once again, some of the best musicians in the world of modern music are metal musicians!

... Emo is just bad, sorry but it is, technically, the music is degenerative and shows lack of skill,

I seriously doubt Lord Worm, fantastic as he is, would be able to sing Shayne Ward's album.
    There's some impressive guitar playing in Bullet For My Valentine's album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Undergod wrote:
    I seriously doubt Lord Worm, fantastic as he is, would be able to sing Shayne Ward's album.

I seriously doubt Lord Worn is representative of Metal as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

sorry that came out wrong,

to the untrained eye it seems like metal singers are just roaring into a microphone, i do not think that.

what john2 said is right, it's not my view of metal.

ohh i do like some metal but it normally has to be like influenced by something else for me to enjoy it like megadriver or the black mages etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Fair enough. But he is a great vocalist. My point is that pop singers' voices are not 'all processed ****e', and lots of pop artist are talented in ways that lots of metal artists aren't. There are definitely metal singers who could sing Shayne Ward, but there's plenty who couldn't.

Undergod wrote:
    There's some impressive guitar playing in Bullet For My Valentine's album.

Notice how i didnt say ALL metal singers are better than pop singers

Undergod wrote:
    Fair enough. But he is a great vocalist. My point is that pop singers' voices are not 'all processed ****e', and lots of pop artist are talented in ways that lots of metal artists aren't. There are definitely metal singers who could sing Shayne Ward, but there's plenty who couldn't.

I was being VERY general i admit, Its very true that alot of pop singer have genuine talent, but theyre still all processed to make sure everythings perfect, metal/rock singers tend not to mind too much about any mistakes (little ones) made.

what were we talking about again....? i think we might have gone a little off topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 irishslipknot

here...im not so much saying about the people...i am a great fan of metal..i love the thing..if you look at it from my point.. i used to go to metal gigs alot in kilkenny and now there a none on because its all emo type music..also today a rock band played and by the end there was no one left,,,aswell music stores here are getting worse as they are forgetting about metal cd's...its that part whats getting to me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

aswell music stores here are getting worse as they are forgetting about metal cd's...its that part whats getting to me...

i'd have to say, in general, you're fairly wrong. i'm thinking of the various music stores in dublin that have quite large collections, and the 2 (that i'm aware of) stores that are entirely dedicated to metal (sentinel records & sound cellar) and music of that ilk.

on top of that, HMV have expanded their metal sections all over the place, and tower records has quite a substancial collection, too.

now, if i'm to take from your post that you're not a dubliner, then i'd say you'll hear the same "shops here don't support my music, man!" chatter in every regional area in ireland, UK, france, germany, spain, italy, america, etc. etc. supply and demand, and all that lark.

now, if i'm to take from your post that you're not a dubliner, then i'd say you'll hear the same "shops here don't support my music, man!" chatter in every regional area in ireland, UK, france, germany, spain, italy, america, etc. etc. supply and demand, and all that lark.

That's exactly what he said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Who ever said Emo was spawned from metal?? You metal heads are awful of yeer selfs. Im liking Fall Out Boy alot which is supposidly Emo. If u ask me it sounds more like pop punk stuff like Sum 41 and Blink182. Ive herd some panic at the disco which just pisses me off because its so poppy and in there videos they try to portray it as something arty and Alternative which its not. Where as fall out boy have no problem doing poppy videos, cus after all that what it is good pop and whats wrong with that? Ive herd someone say Jimmey Eat World is Emo which is news to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

i have to admit recently some emo bands are really beginning to annoy me. fall out boy being one, crap lyrics and the fact that you cant make out a word that the guy is saying. there are many other emo bands that i have heard bits and pieces of and unfortunatly i can tell what the rest of there stuff is like. crap.
    now some people clasify some bands like HIM as emo. i dont think they are, well they dont have the emo image, i.e the hair style etc they have been around before all these emo bands came about, but im not guna get into a rant about HIM. what really annoys me is when people say they love rock music and say there favourite bands are fall out boy and all these, and when you mention bands like metallica they are like who? morons.
    nyeh

Ok Metalica are a Metal band. Elvis invented Rock and Roll. I think theres is a lot of Elvis fans out there who dont know who metalica are either. U2 are the bigest rock band in the world but I would imagine a larg proportion of there fan base arnt gone on Metalica.

Who ever said Emo was spawned from metal??

Ok, then enlighten me as to from whence it came then. It didnt come from jazz, it didnt come from soul, it didnt come from classical music it didnt come from funk, it didnt come from dance...where did it come from then if it didnt come from metal?

Punk rock apparently.
    Well according to the emo kids anyway.

Ok, then enlighten me as to from whence it came then. It didnt come from jazz, it didnt come from soul, it didnt come from classical music it didnt come from funk, it didnt come from dance...where did it come from then if it didnt come from metal?
    Rock/ Punk from what Im hearing but at the end of the day rock and Metal and most of the genre you mentioned above came from Robert Johnson's 6 string guitar in the 1930

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Ok Metalica are a Metal band. Elvis invented Rock and Roll. I think theres is a lot of Elvis fans out there who dont know who metalica are either. U2 are the bigest rock band in the world but I would imagine a larg proportion of there fan base arnt gone on Metalica.

i think many u2 fans have heard of metallica. just because some person likes one style of music doesnt mean they have never heard one of the biggest bands of another. many of my friends are die hard u2 fans, and many of them listen too metallica, and for the ones who dont, have definetly heard of them.

Punk rock apparently.
    Well according to the emo kids anyway.

Theres no way it came from punk rock! and even if it did, where did punk rock come from but bands which at the time would have been estimated as being metal or hard rock(which is basically just metal but with subtle differences) but played worse,

Maybe Fall Out Boy etc came from punk rock, but Fall Out Boy arnt Emo, theyre Pop Punk. Emo Bands like My Chemical Romance and Bullet For My Valentine are most definitly metal influenced.

Theres no way it came from punk rock!

Wo wo wo....don't shoot the messenger, I'm just saying what the emo kids think.

• Advertisement

Wo wo wo....don't shoot the messenger, I'm just saying what the emo kids think.

Yeah and that shows exactly what these kids know about the music they listen to!

Advertisement