Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do you think about this emo phase??leaving metal..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I think theres a serious problem in that most people don't even know what an emo band is. I mean, how are Fallout Boy emo? Sure I'll admit my experience of their music is limited to the two songs "Sugar, We're Goin' Down" and "Sophomore Slump Or Comeback Of The Year" but from what I've heard its nothing more than pop punk, I fail to see any so called "emo" inflences in it.

Next, Bullet For My Valentine. These guys seem to get alot of flak for being emo but again, I fail to see the connection. Sure some of their lyrics are a tad "emotional" at times and some of the vocals can be "whiney" but does that make them emo? Hell no. Sure they have the shouty and quiet parts mix in with some gang vocals but again is this emo? Not as far as I'm aware. If you happen to disagree then listen to the song "Four Words (to Choke Upon)" and then listen to one of the above Fallout Boy songs and tell me theres is ANY similarity between the two.

Short story is, don't mixup whiney pop punk and indie with metalcore and emo. Sure some they can share some elements but the similarity ends there in my eyes.

As for the emo phase? Meh, so what. Its alot better than most of the other tripe on radio nowadays and at least its a step in the right direction. Its going to be similar to what happened with nu-metal to be honest, looking at some of the people I know who were big into that, they've now changed over to more heavier forms of metal which I can only say is a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Fraggle Rocks

Theres no way it came from punk rock!

Wrong. It stemmed from the hardcore punk scene of the mid eighties, particularly in the Washington DC area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_Summer

http://www.fourfa.com/history.htm
    Yeah and that shows exactly what these kids know about the music they listen to!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

In fairness, just becasue somethign is on Wikipdeia doesn't mean it's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Fraggle Rocks

True. That other reference is a pretty good history of emo though. I could find a few more if you wanted me to?

And its an undenialable fact that Dag Nasty, Fugazi et al were emo and started playing in the mid 80s, so whether or not its on wikipedia becomes a bit irrelevant anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

You're only digging yourself into a deeper hole, and all of what Fraggle Rocks said is true. :rolleyes:

Maybe some of you are thinking of screamo rather than emo, although sayin' that screamo also stemmed from punk.

Here's a bigger list of the original 80's emo bands:

Husker Du
    Beefeater
    Embrace
    fIRE Party
    Nation of Ullysses
    Dag Nasty
    Rites of Spring
    Fugazi (although i'd consider their most of their stuff to be post-hardcore)
    One Last Wish
    Gray Matter
    Faith
    Egg Hunt
    Shudder To Think
    Lungfish

Probably a few more I left out but there ya go..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭The Song Thrush

I don't like emo music, it's just not my thing. But I'm not judgemental about it, different people have different tastes. How are you suppose to enjoy music if all you do is complain about what others listen to?
    I think theres a serious problem in that most people don't even know what an emo band is. I mean, how are Fallout Boy emo? Sure I'll admit my experience of their music is limited to the two songs "Sugar, We're Goin' Down" and "Sophomore Slump Or Comeback Of The Year" but from what I've heard its nothing more than pop punk, I fail to see any so called "emo" inflences in it.
    Indeed. Fall Out Boy are about as emo as Avril Lavigne is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Charm Offensive

Christ.

Look.

If it's not glaringly obvious to all and sundry who've read this thread, then I'll say it: the word "emo" has come to mean something entirely different from what it originally did, and has now become a term that people in the infancy of their musical snobbery (i.e. desperately looking for something to look down on in order to validate their own tastes and fasion choices, without having a clue what they're talking about) absolutely thrive on bashing; trotting out meaningless tripe like "EMO IS GAY METAL IS MUCH BETTER".

As has been outlined, the roots of what was originally deemed "emo" are in hardcore punk. Think this is incorrect? Good for you. It's not. I despise arguing about genres, because they can be quite subjective and shouldn't have ANY bearing on anyone's enjoyment of music - but one thing I'll say is that it should be obvious that the borders and definitions between genres are constantly shifting, sub-dividing and evolving. Led Zeppelin were called heavy metal in their day, but the style of music they played wouldn't fit into the majority of people's idea of heavy metal in a contemporary musical climate.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

sorry to hurt the disuillsoned amongst us,
    but "emo" has been around for a long time but its just now that this pop-punk drivel is being labeled emo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Agent Steel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_%28music%29

An excellent entry on Emo music. Read and learn, kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_%28music%29

An excellent entry on Emo music. Read and learn, kids.

So basically, what that article is saying is that the word "Emo" keeps being applied to different waves which may or may not have taken influence from the previous wave and that the genre of Emo itself is too wide and nowadays doesnt apply specifically to one single type of music. And that the bands under that scope streching from the eighties to today have drawn influence from a large variety of sources including different types of punk and different types of metal.

I think that is a good description which everyone(well, most) will agree with. So now that we've got where it came from, and we understand that the Emo now is different from the Emo of then, just like the term Black Metal in the early to mid eighties meant bands like Venom but now means bands like Emporer, Cirith Gorgor etc(well not exactly like that but you get my meaning so dont bother to be anal and go pointing out the flaws in my analogy), now that we know where it came from, can we get back to discussing Emo in relation to TODAY's music scene, it'll cause much less arguing(productive and educational as it is).

But the other point is that many of the bands that people consider as emo aren't at all. They may have some slight emo infuences but that doesn't make them a strictly emo band. Looking at that list I can discount a fair few of them straight away. Fallout Boy for one, Coheed And Cambria are Prog Rock and the only emo aspect they have are the somewhat whiney vocals and Something Corporate are pop punk. Then there are the "emocore" bands in there like Thursday and Thrice who again shouldnt be lumped in with the truely mainstream bands.

The point remains that the "emo" influnces are present in both todays bands and those of yester year, the only difference is that some of these bands are becoming more popular and as they do new bands with a more mainstream image and prevailent "emo sound" come out and ruin it for everyone else. They're the bands you should be focusing on, not the bands that don't fit into the emo catagory or simply borrow some aspects from it. They're the bands that will fade as time goes on, just like the real nu-metal bands have. However the idea that emo itself will ever die completely is nonsense...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 indiehater

Did anyone hear about the new Emo credit card? It's not accepted anywhere!!!

indiehater wrote:
    Did anyone hear about the new Emo credit card? It's not accepted anywhere!!!

Ha! nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

To those people who think emo is just a fad, I'd like to point out its been around since the mid 80's, in various different incarnations. Granted emo music nowadays has little in common with its early form, but imo modern punk shares little of the same ideas and issues as the original punks of the 70's. Sure there are a lot of whingy emo bands out there but there are also some quality bands, you just have to sift through the ****. It's the same with any genre of music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

My beef is how we hadn't heard the word 'emo' untill about two years ago.
    Now suddenly all these bands that have been around a long time are being grouped into that genre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 indiehater

Ha! nice one!

Cheers dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Theres no way it came from punk rock! and even if it did, where did punk rock come from but bands which at the time would have been estimated as being metal or hard rock(which is basically just metal but with subtle differences) but played worse,

Maybe Fall Out Boy etc came from punk rock, but Fall Out Boy arnt Emo, theyre Pop Punk. Emo Bands like My Chemical Romance and Bullet For My Valentine are most definitly metal influenced.

http://www.fourfa.com/

Emo has definate punk and hardcore roots, however as I've said before, the type of emo that is popular these days is very different to how it started out. And for gods sake people, Bullet for my Valentine are not emo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 irishslipknot

mmmm i must agree that they are not emo...i see them as new metal...true its not how it started out but its still emo!!no one can change that.Its like everything...it may changes over time but stil holds the name...

By "new metal" I assume you mean metalcore and now "nu metal". :)

And as has been said before, just becuase a band have emo elements in their sound does not make them an emo band. The problem with "emo" is that it's now being used as a derogatory name and has begun to encompass more and more bands whose emo elements are less prevalent.

Hell, even bands with with little to no emo elements are being labelled as such just becuase they are becoming popular. BFMV, Avenged Sevenfold, Trivium...all of these bands have been affected by this. Then again I try to ignore most of the people who do it due to the fact that they clearly don't know what they're talking about, I suggest you do the same. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

"It's not fashion, it's a way of life" Monkhouse - Fashion
    To define, classify or pidgeonhole yourself or others based on what clothes are worn is ill-advised. That said, genre-stereotypes exist and propagate for a reason, usually related to money and a lost sense of identity in modern western society.

There is good/great music and there is dross. You choose where you draw the line.
    Others may form an [initial] opinion of your musical taste and the credibility of your opinions. And they may be right.

I've no idea where 'emo' started, or indeed anything to do with the movement/fashion/lifestyle choice/whatever. However, just about any band I've seen which was referred to as emo or shared some of the same style in the music or the music video, I have been appalled by.
    Who the hell are HIM? Why do they leave me feeling sick with the utter banality and irrelevence of their 'music'? Have I missed something I would regret having missed were I to find out now? Will the faux-pretention ever end? Will Josh cut that stupidly long fringe?

These are questions destined to be repeated until commercial music for commerce is nolonger profitable.
    Support your local musicians, don't believe the hype. Give good music to your younger (more impressionable) siblings. Especially Ska and Classical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

If you want definitive proof metal is turning emo, look at these. This is Anata, one of my favorite metal bands ever. This is them two years ago.
    anata-head.jpg
    And this is, sadly, a picture I found of them earlier.
    anata.jpg

I swear I almost cried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

If you want definitive proof metal is turning emo, look at these. This is Anata, one of my favorite metal bands ever. This is them two years ago.
    Started listening to Anata recently awsome band, have their full discography now, bugger their image, the music is still excellent imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

New Anata is indeed homoeroticism ridden. Bleh, just genericore. Under A Stone With No Inscription showed so much promise, but it seems they taken that idea and chucked it, running in the completely opposite direction with their music.

And Venom/Bathory wwere never referred to as black metal in the '80s, get it straight, Venom were JUST NWOBHM, black metal the GENRE takes influence from Venom, but all they ever did was call an ALBUM Black Metal. God damn.

And Bullet For My Valentine are still just whiny teeny bopper BS IMO, same goes for Trivium and their ilk. Metal needs new life and it's not to be found in the same ruddy bull being churned out by Roadrunner day after day (and it's not just them either). Flame all you want kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

well i always thought until after reading this thread that bands such as fall out boy, all american rejects and panic at the disco would be emo, and also mcr.
    are these bands just pop punk? and what bands are emo now?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

you all need to know that hardcore came from punk, and emo came from hardcore, just not whats been called emo today.
    Whats emo today is some sort of pop-punk-esque music with extra whinging.

And Venom/Bathory wwere never referred to as black metal in the '80s, get it straight, Venom were JUST NWOBHM, black metal the GENRE takes influence from Venom, but all they ever did was call an ALBUM Black Metal. God damn.

I do remember asking people not to bother pointing out the flaws in my analogy, why do people feel the need to do so anyway, it doesnt prove anything.

And Venom would be Thrash anyway. NWOBHM is just a term used to discribe a collection of a variety of various styles of metal which came from Britain at approximatly the same time, its not a distinct, specific genre by itself.

Which, I just realised is basically what Emo is (except for the british part of course and its not all at the same time either)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Jesus! Lock this thread! Enough of the genre talk!

John2 wrote:
    Jesus! Lock this thread! Enough of the genre talk!
    While I agreed that we have gone a little off topic at times, it is in fact relevent to the discussion insofar as we need to establish precedent and to find out exactly where Emo came from so that we can understand it better so that we may discuss it properly in an informed manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Advertisement