Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rear Disc Brakes

Options
  • 20-05-2006 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

Well lads,

I'm considering changing my back drums to discs on my '92 mk3 golf, since the shoes need replacing anyway. I was just wondering if this is an easy thing to do? Is there any difficulty involved?

I'm thinking of going to the scrapyard and ripping some off a crashed one.

Any help appreciated.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whats the point? Loads would need changing like callipers, and a new brake servo unit and master cylinder.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Disk brakes on an ould mark3 golf? Are you for real. There 1 of the slowest/heaviest cars goin. I`d say if u just took the rear drums off and replaced with nothing you`d still have adequate braking. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Replacement shoes = €26

Hubs, discs, calipers, flexible lines, bushings, 20hrs labour = €400

Noticeable difference to braking = 0

Increase in value of car as a result of either choice = 0

Look on your face when back of car skids into ditch, priceless...

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Shoes on a Golf usually last 80,000 - 100,000 miles. If you want this sort of longevity get original VW shoe linings and rivet them on. You can buy complete shoes but it's much dearer from VW. If you buy spurious shoes they won't last as long - but do you need them to.

TBH, its a waste of time (and money) changing to discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Thanks lads, I won't bother so. Just wonderin if it was worthwhile!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement