Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No Makeup

• 20-05-2006 8:21pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if it's really such a big deal to go out without makeup on.

I go without about 90% of the time. Never wear any at work, or on a normal night out. I might put a bit on if it was a special occasion - Christmas Party, wedding, etc.

I have fairly good skin; am decent looking (I've been told). But I'm also in my (very) late 20's, so is it about time I start wearing it all the time.

Especially interested in what guys think about girls who don't wear makeup.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Me= Guy.

Personally I think there is nothing worse than a girl caked in make-up. If you can get away with none do. I've no idea of make-up wearing techniques but in my mind less is more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

if you're happy without make up and you think you look decent then for gods sake go without it, its soo much nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭lost_for_words

I prefer not to wear make up most of the time too (even though I have an extraordinary amount of the stuff).
    If you really feel like you have to wear it just stick to the natural tones and maybe only use a tinted moisturiser (most foundations aren't worth it).
    Seriously though if you don't want to wear it don't, take care of your skin and you'll have won half the battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I think it's great if you don't need make up. Is it because you're not confident in applying it or just because you'd rather go without? I agree it looks absolutely awful for a girl to have it trowelled on, but in saying that most foundations now have and SPF of 15 and they actually keep your skin moisturised while protecting you from the sun too. I also a think a little bit of bronzer is nice in the dreary winter months. Also, if you constantly get compliments about your eyes or some other feature, it can look nice when you accentuate a good feature like that and it doesn't need to be plastered on. May be a good idea to get yourself to MAC in BTs on a quiet day and get a free consultation just to see what looks you could experiment with and what suits you. Like I say, it's great that you look fab without but I think it lifts a girlies spirits to look really pretty ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

If you have the right skin, definitely go without, girls with great skin and make up are hiding their good features In my oppinion. I'd like to know I could be attracted to a girl any time and not just after she's spent 30 minutes putting on make up although eye make up and the likes is fine for enhancing or highlighting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭dédé

I never wear make up either. It's not my choice though, I'm allergic to it. I've turned all red every time I've tried some :eek: But I feel very good without it. As long as you feel good, you look good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

My girlfriend doesn't wear makeup most of the time, and when she does it's not much, and she looks fantastic all the time...

If you don't need it, why waste time/money wearing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Like I've said before, make-up is about enhancing your natural beauty not masking it. So if you need a little help whether its some foundation or concealer to hide spots,blemishes or eyeliner to contour you eyes wear it, but if you've got good skin,pretty eyes why put something on it that doesn't need to be there?

I have to wear make-up for work,obviously, but hate wearing it outside work. I try to get by with wearing a sheer foundation and mascara when off work or sometimes nothing at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

they make me wear makeup to work :( before that i never did.

i prefer to go without, scratching my nose and rubbing my eyes is nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Very rarely go out with no make up.
    A few times this year I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

I very rarely go out without make-up on to be honest but guess that is a bit sad....

If you feel confident go without it, it takes up time and effort!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

why do they "make" you wear make up to work?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i work in a clothes shop. apparently im to sell the image of good looking, not just clothes, so the handbook says i gotta wear facepaint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

déd&#233 wrote:
    I never wear make up either. It's not my choice though, I'm allergic to it. I've turned all red every time I've tried some :eek: But I feel very good without it. As long as you feel good, you look good.

My wife rarely wares it (she doesnt need it) but it used to be because she was allergic to perfume (as in parfume in EVERYTHING!) but she now wears Clarins stuff now and again if its a big night out or weddings etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sinead_t

i have to say i rarely go without face makeup, ie foundation and concealer...but its my own fault as i have trouble with my self confidence due to having what i consider to be a "flaw" on my face. i wish i didnt wear makeup, i only like wearing it on nights out. so if u can go without it, lucky u!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I pretty much always wear eye make-up but hardly ever wear concealer and foundation and all that stuff. Just blocks pores, I find.

i think girls know its not good for their skin in the long run, but if u start wearing it young i think u find it hard to stop wearing it as u feel self concious without it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

sinead_t wrote:
    i think girls know its not good for their skin in the long run, but if u start wearing it young i think u find it hard to stop wearing it as u feel self concious without it

Possibly. Any brand I tried didn't look great on me so I never got into it in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

sinead_t wrote:

Very true! I've been wearing makeup since I was in second year and now I wouldn't be able to walk outside the door without it! I don't cake it on or anything and it blends perfectly - the only benefit of wearing it constantly for so many years is I know exactly what suits me! Recently I've been trying to go out even just to the shops without it, but seriously it's an addiction! I think I will lay off the foundation in the summer though, because my skin is practically perfect now (except for the almost translucent paleness caused by lack of sun!) and in the summer you have to fix it way too much not to mention it can be quite uncomfortable. I'm really going to try!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Wisesmurf wrote:
    Me= Guy.

Personally I think there is nothing worse than a girl caked in make-up. If you can get away with none do. I've no idea of make-up wearing techniques but in my mind less is more.

Yeah I'm with smurf on this one, I really hate women who have shot makeup out of a cannon and onto their face, it's disgusting looking and it generally means that they're actually minging.

• Advertisement

Well as long as a girl doesnt cake it on and its blended nicely i dont think it matters whether she wears it or not to other people, it would just be nice for the girl if she didnt feel she had to wear it all the time...(ie ME!!!!)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Hey, thanks all for the responses. They're very encouraging. I thought a lot more of the posts would be along the lines of: "have you no pride in your appearance, of course you should wear makeup!"
    Miss Fluff wrote:
    Is it because you're not confident in applying it or just because you'd rather go without?

A little bit of both to be honest. Comes from not having any older female relations around me during the formative years, maybe.

I once had a makeup lesson at a beauty salon, but it didn't teach me anything. The lady just put on the makeup and did very little teaching. In fact I was lying down for it so didn't even see myself in a mirror as she put it on. Plus, I felt like I looked like a clown afterwards!

I also did a five week course on skincare and makeup - one of these evening class things, but I didn't find that helpful either. They assumed we all had basic knowledge of applying makeup and I felt they were more about pushing certain products than actually giving different advise.

But having said that, even though I'm not confident about putting it on, I also couldn't be bothered so it's not all about the inability to do it. When I do wear it, it's just a little foundation, mascara and lip gloss. I wouldn't have a clue about putting on eyeshadow.

But as I think I can get away without it, I'm happy enough to stay away for the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

Wear makeup if you want to wear makeup. If it makes you feel good/makes you look better then wear it..plaster it on if you like.. do what makes you happy, who cares about anyone else? I always wear it and that's how i like it! I like to make an effort. Personally I think all women look better with it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I wear a little most days, but not if I'm just going to the beach for a walk.

Usually it's just tinted moisturiser, clear mascara, and a litle gloss/ lipbalm. I really can't see much point for lots of make-up on a daily basis. Each to their own.

*shrugs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I never wear make-up other than eye-make up. Neither myself nor my sister can wear foundation as it affects our skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I am 32, I wear lipstick most of the time, eyeshaddow occasionally and mascara very rarely...having said that, my lipstick wears off in no time so most of the time I have no makeup on. I do not think that you need makeup. I have had several guys complementing me over my appearance and even when I did go for a makeup consultation they did not put foundation on me as they said that I did not need it. The one exception to this rule is that I wear sunscrean in warm weather. I do not think that you need to go with the crowd, if you feel good without makeup do not wear it. Some people may need makeup to cover up skin imperfections but otherwise...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Only interested in eye make-up, dark thanks.
    Lipstick is nice too, sometimes.
    Shiny and tasty!

OP, less = more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

On a normal day, I wear a sheer foundation, concealer and mascara, Perhaps a bit of blusher, if I'm hanging ;)

I had bad skin for years so I covered it up with makeup and it still flares up every now and again, so I find it daunting to go completely without makeup. I do go bare, of course, to school, when I'm walking, when I'm out sunbathing, on the beach, etc but I'm still quite conscious. Little scars and what not.

OP, if you have good skin, DON'T PUT ANYTHING ON IT! A little mascara and a smoky grey kohl liner for your eyes is simple enough, alongside a little slick of tinted lip balm. Gorgeous. You want that dewy look for the summer- very "in" at the moment, have a look at Armani. And you don't even need the makeup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭smurfbaby

I dont wear make up most days-mainly because I dont have enough time in the mornings! It sounds stupid but I couldnt be bothered going to that effort every day if I wasnt going to meet people or do anything special, not to mention how much make up Id be going through! Because I dont wear it that much I can afford to buy more expensive products which then last me for ages. If Im in the mood I might wear a little bronzer and some lip gloss, but thats about it. Then at the weekends when I spend a little longer on my make up I feel as though Im really dressed up when going out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

I never wear make-up during the day!! Don't even wear it if I'm just going to the pub for a few drinks. Only wear make-up for special occasion and big nights out.

I put more effort into my hair than I do anything else and usually lip balm does it for the make-up!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭brown*eyed*girl

I'm one of those people that probably annoys you all and wear a fair bit of make-up. People tell me all the time I don't need it but its more of a habit now because I have good skin and no spots. I just love the being "done up" feeling. My daughter calls me Ms Perfect because of it but its just a habit now to have my make-up done. I feel almost naked without it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

i seldom wear makup during the day. but going out at night i scrub up as best as i can...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Manolo Blahnik

It's not that hard to put on make-up. I've been wearing since I was 13. People complement me on how clear my skin is so only wear it maybe twice a week or something. Don't really need foundation. I look really young when I'm not wearing any though.

I've been wearing since I was 13.

Since you were thirteen?! :eek: My God, that seems young. At that age, I'd still have been a lipbalm and nothing else girl. That's not a criticism btw, just a reaction ;) I'm not a huge make-up person, though I do have lots of it :rolleyes:

I think I started wearing full make-up when I was fifteen/ sixteen, but I only became comfortable with application and all that in the last couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

I dont wear makeup at all and i've only done so when acting in the college drama society. i feel that no one notices in work/outside of work anyway, sure it only clogs your pores!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

What would put me off makeup... okay, one of the many things, is that I've noticed when people who usually DO wear makeup, don't for whatever reason, they tend to look a bit dire.
    Saw a girl the other week who I'd never seen without makeup before, and I thought she was sick...

However, if you're used to seeing someone not wearing makeup, they just look normal, not sick at all.

Therefore, it seems to me, that it's far easier to do without most of the time, instead of being dependent on it to even look normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

i dont think thats entirely true.usually people look 'sick' without there makeup is if it doesnt match there skin tone or if they cake it one.for instance on of my friends wears makeup quite a bit darker than her very pale skin and without it looks sick..whilst people with tanned or sallow skin without makeup dont usually look that different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

quickbeam wrote:
    Just wondering if it's really such a big deal to go out without makeup on.

Nope, believe me if you have good skin, a guy much prefares the no-makeup look on a girl, even if he doesn't know it.

A ex gf used to trowel on the foundation, and didn't look good, despite leaving greasy foundation marks all over my jackets!

Another gf used much more expensive 'powdery' foundation. Again, looked ok from a distance, but she didn't really need it.

The problem with foundation it that it blocks your pores and damages your skin in the long run. Start using foundation now, and you'll have to do so for the rest of your life.

It's a well-known scientific fact that a guy notices your hair first, before your face!!!

A little mascara is fine, but no foundation or lippy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Manolo Blahnik

Hermione* wrote:
    Since you were thirteen?! :eek: My God, that seems young. At that age

I was a bit of a wild one in my day :D

Speaking of makeup - there's nothing worse than the ones goin around with a white neck an a patchy orange face.

Usually I wear kinda pale foundation with brown eyeliner, brown eyeshadow and mascara.

I don't like lipstick or lipgloss and plus it's gone in a second when you're kissing someone ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

Make up?

I hardly ever wear make up, I see really no point to it, as I myself think I look better with out it. I hate the way some make-up looks on me, maybe I don#'t put make-up on right.:confused: I only really wear lipbalm to stop my lips cracking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

The key word with makeup is 'subtlety'.
    Tree wrote:
    they make me wear makeup to work :(

I'd be amazed if that's legal. Does it say male employees also have to wear makeup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I never wear make-up. Not even when I'm going out. I just don't really feel comfortable wearing it, and I'd feel really strange if I *had* to wear it for whatever reason. In a way, I'm lucky because I do have relatively good skin, so I don't have much in the way of blemishes to hide. Not having to wear it to work is one of the benefits of being in an otherwise all-male workplace :p
    I really hate seeing girls with orange faces, or otherwise caked-on makeup. Especially when they are quite pretty, but they're just making themselves look bad by trowelling on the warpaint.

I was a bit of a wild one in my day :D

Lollers.;)
    I don't like lipstick or lipgloss and plus it's gone in a second when you're kissing someone ;)

I just reapply my lipgloss a lot. :D

Advertisement