Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine Oil

Options
  • 20-05-2006 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

What's the story with engine oil? What's the difference between the 10's and 15's and all of that?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Not sure, maybe something to do with viscosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

the lower the number ie. 05-30 is thin oil and 20-50 is thick. see here http://tinyurl.com/r7r9w

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's all to do with how oil behaves at certain temperatures and how resistant it is to wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Google SAE oil ratings or look on Wikipedia. Check out API ratings while you're at it.

[edit] Oh, what the heck. Here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil Read it and learn. API rating is important. Be sure to change your filter too.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

hi to all
    i personaly use 10w magnatec. i also use engine flush in every oil change what a difference. does any1 use it before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the link.

Bit of a long read. How do you know what's best for say, a 91 petrol Fiesta?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Stick in 15-40 multigrade and it'll be fine.

Mike.

Hmm, I bought a thing of 10-40 a week or two back, will this do?

It'll be fine - as long as it has a decent API rating - it will hopefully be SJ or SL. Don't forget to change the oil filter too. Have the engine warm when you are draining the old oil, and remember to dispose of it in an 'environmentally friendly manner' - you can usually leave it at your local garage (not petrol station). They sell it on to be recycled. That's why you shouldn't buy non-rated oil!

Not your ornery onager

thanks for the info. I don't need to drain it just because I'm putting in new oil do I? It's a 91 Fiesta so it probably wont make that much of a difference to the life of the car if I don't considering it's probably on it's last legs, although going well. What do you reckon?

• Advertisement

cormie wrote:
    thanks for the info. I don't need to drain it just because I'm putting in new oil do I? It's a 91 Fiesta so it probably wont make that much of a difference to the life of the car if I don't considering it's probably on it's last legs, although going well. What do you reckon?

Did you even read that Wikipedia article? How long has it been since the oil and filter were changed? Do you know anything about basic engine maintenance? Oil and filter changes at the recommended intervals are the single most important part of keeping an engine healthy.

If draining the oil and fitting a new filter is too much for you, bring the car to Quik Fit or one of those places. Should cost you about €25. Bring back the oil (tell me it wasn't one litre you bought!) and exchange it for some sweets.

If you are this way about maintaining your car, you shouldn't have one. Either do it yourself or pay someone to do it. But do it.

On second thoughts, maybe it would suit your plan to buy some of that cheap recycled, ungraded, uncertified oil, and keep topping your engine up with it. That way, if your car is not on it's last legs yet, it soon will be. Problem solved. Then you can spend a grand or two on another heap and wreck it's engine too.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

cormie wrote:

Remind me never to buy one of your cars!

Remove oil cap, Jack up the car(use jack stands for safety), look for a nut under the sump of your Engine, get a plastic container big enough to hold about 5 litres of oil, remove nut (sometimes and alan head or just a normal nut sticking out) hold until nut is on its last tread out and remove quick, trying not to drop it into container! avoid oil going down your sleeve!
    while that's draining, remove oil filter on top with oil wrench ,sometimes a long screwdriver hammered into the side of filter works also, unscrew the filter and wrap a plastic bag around the filter first so to avoid spilling the oil everywhere when it comes off, put little new oil with your finger on the rubber seal of the new oil filter, screw it on, back under the car screw back on the drain plug, drop the car down from the jacks, pull out dip stick, make sure car is level, fill to ¾ between min and max, slowly one litre at a time, put on oil cap, start the engine and stop it straight away,
    check the level again with the dip stick you'll find the level has dropped as the oil gets into all areas of the engine when started, DO NOT OVERFILL with oil or you will damage your engine. keep oil about 3/4 to between min and max on the dip stick.

The above should take you ½ hour and save you money.

We all have to learn some time. Thanks for the info:)

Advertisement