Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Attempted tyre sales scam

Options
  • 20-05-2006 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭

Got a 00 car two weeks ago, due for NCT soon. Checking over tyres this morning, found a cut in the side wall of one and (as I already knew) one was excessively worn. Other three tyres all have 2.5->3mm thread.

Called two local companies. One was €10/corner cheaper than the other but is about 10 miles further away. As I was under time pressure, I called up to the closer one.

Went in and asked for my two tyres. Was quoted €5/corner more than on the phone - put that right pretty quickly. Was then told that if the existing tyres didn't all have the same speed rating, the car would fail the NCT - is this true?

Here's the good one though - one of their tyre fitters inspected the tyres and told me that the 1.6mm was measured from the top of the thread wear indicators and that only one of the tyres would have a hope of passing, so I'd need four tyres instead of two.

Told him where to go, needless to say.

Went to the other place (Adamstown Tyres, Co. Wexford, highly recommended) and got them for the €65 each (vs. the €80 for the same tyres that the other crowd were going to try extract). And they confirmed what I already knew - the thread depth is measured from the bottom of the thread.

Beware the gangsters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

about the speed rating. once its L rated or above it is suitable for irish roads and passes the NCT. L rating is 75 MPH / 120 KPH. anything below L is not road legal except H which for some strange reason is 130 MPH :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

While 1.6 mm is the legal limit (at the worst point of the thread btw) it is generally recommended to change your tyres once the thread is below 4 mm.

Especially so, when you're driving in the wet. Those extra 2 mm make a whole lot of difference on waterlogged surfaces.

But seenashow Ireland has an exceptionally dry climate, you should be ok with driving them down to 1.6 mm :D:D:D

(But tyre merchant no. one still hadn't a clue)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,086 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Dilbert75 wrote:
    Got a 00 car two weeks ago, due for NCT soon. Checking over tyres this morning, found a cut in the side wall of one and (as I already knew) one was excessively worn. Other three tyres all have 2.5->3mm thread.

Called two local companies. One was €10/corner cheaper than the other but is about 10 miles further away. As I was under time pressure, I called up to the closer one.

Went in and asked for my two tyres. Was quoted €5/corner more than on the phone - put that right pretty quickly. Was then told that if the existing tyres didn't all have the same speed rating, the car would fail the NCT - is this true?

Here's the good one though - one of their tyre fitters inspected the tyres and told me that the 1.6mm was measured from the top of the thread wear indicators and that only one of the tyres would have a hope of passing, so I'd need four tyres instead of two.

Told him where to go, needless to say.

Went to the other place (Adamstown Tyres, Co. Wexford, highly recommended) and got them for the €65 each (vs. the €80 for the same tyres that the other crowd were going to try extract). And they confirmed what I already knew - the thread depth is measured from the bottom of the thread.

Beware the gangsters.

just to also add what was said about adamstown tyres, good prices and service :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

peasant wrote:
    While 1.6 mm is the legal limit (at the worst point of the thread btw) it is generally recommended to change your tyres once the thread is below 4 mm.

Especially so, when you're driving in the wet. Those extra 2 mm make a whole lot of difference on waterlogged surfaces.

This is absolutely true and if the gangsters had said that to me, I'd have respected their opinion and made a judgement for myself. But they tried to upsell me something on the basis that the tyres were illegal, which they aren't. That's scamming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

So go on - name and shame the crowd that told you the 1.6mm had to be measured on top of the wear indicator :rolleyes: LOL, good one. Bet that catches out a lot of unsuspecting people.

I've had good experience with the garage in Saggart - the one on the right-hand-side coming from Citywest direction (think it's a Texaco). Sound people, and good prices (even compared to Eiretyres.com)

• Advertisement

I won't name them but they're a big tyre company operating in New Ross. Anyone in the area will know them and will probably have bought tyres from them at some stage.

Noticed yesterday they now charge €40+VAT for tracking - think Adamstown charge €25 for tracking.

SHOP AROUND PEOPLE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

How do you correctly measure the tyre depth? 1.6mm from where to where? The little spikey bits of rubber that stick out on a tyre, u measure the top of that to where, the tyre surface? Can some1 show me this on a pic maybe, cause i always wondered where this 1.6mm came from. Theres no tyre on the road that has a 1.6mm spikey bit, even a new tyre so im obviously taking this up wrong. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

tyre_diag.gif

the lowest point of the valley type bits shouldn't be less than 1.6 mm from the surface of the tyre. 1.6mm isn't a depth you want to have, just a legal minimum. you should have much more than that IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

From NCT Manual:

TYRE SPECIFICATION
    Method of Testing
    1. Check that tyres on the same axle are of the same size, aspect ratio and type (i.e. cross-ply or radial-ply) .
    2. Check that the speed rating of each tyre is suitable for the maximum legal speed limit for the vehicle.
    NOTES:
    (a) It will not always be possible to see the complete tyre from ground level, especially on twin wheels and on vehicles
    where the body shrouds part of the tyre. In such cases the examination should be completed from a position
    under the vehicle with the wheel in the raised position.
    (b) Unless marked otherwise, “standard” car tyres have a nominal aspect ratio of 82%. Some tyres have an aspect ratio
    of 80%. These have “/80” included in their size marking e.g. 165/80 R13.
    Tyres with aspect ratios of 80% and 82% are almost identical in size and can be safely mixed in any configuration
    on a vehicle. Where this is done, Reason for Failure (1) does not apply.
    Tyre Fitment (1) Tyres fitted to individual axles are not of the same size,
    aspect ratio or type (i.e. cross ply or radial ply). See note
    (b) below.
    (2) Radial ply tyres are fitted to the front wheels but not to the
    rear wheels.
    (3) Speed rating insufficient for maximum legal speed limit.
    (4) Space saving tyre fitted.
    (5) Type protrudes beyond bodywork.
    Direction (6) Incorrectly fitted.
    Speed Rating (7) Not shown.
    ITEM REASONS FOR FAILURE
    National Car Test Manual 53
    TYRE TREAD
    Method of Testing
    Check with a tyre tread depth gauge, that the central three-quarters of the tread pattern has a depth of at least 1.6
    millimetres around the full circumference of the tyre.
    NOTES:
    (a) It will not always be possible to see the complete tyre from ground level, especially on twin wheels and on vehicles
    where the body shrouds part of the tyres. In such cases the the examination should be completed from a position
    under the vehicle with the wheel in the raised position.
    (b) Where the pattern is interrupted by tread wear indicators but has at least 1.6 mm overall tread depth the tyre
    concerned should not be failed for inadequate tread-depth.
    (c) The tread pattern means the combination of plain surfaces and groves extending across the breath of the tread but
    excludes any tread wear indicators or features which are designed to wear out substantially before the rest of the tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note manufacturers recommend substantially more thread.

Read the manual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Dilbert75 wrote:
    I won't name them but they're a big tyre company operating in New Ross. Anyone in the area will know them and will probably have bought tyres from them at some stage.

Noticed yesterday they now charge €40+VAT for tracking - think Adamstown charge €25 for tracking.

SHOP AROUND PEOPLE

The place in Butlersland beside Ferns Engineering and Lake Region?

You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment ;)

Advertisement