Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library Romance

Options
  • 21-05-2006 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, maybe its exam craziness setting in or maybe im just bored and should really be studying, but...

Is it ok for someone, say a friend of mine, to approach a complete stranger in the library and have a chit chat cuz u fancy them? Im just wondering, because the library seems like a really great place for people to meet, full of books about interesting topics like law and physics, etc. Its a breeding ground (Bad choice of words?) for relationships.

Anyways, i think im crazy, please confirm this for me. Also, to that girl that i stare at longingly on the top floor, my apologies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sinead_t

ha ha! this makes me laugh coz same thing has been going through my head...sitting in the library everyday i see really nice guys and now ive built up a massive crush on one, ahhh, i need to concentrate on my exams not on him!! but yeh i think u should try chat to the girl...girls like guys to take the initiative...just dont tell her you've been staring at her everyday hee hee!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

If you're going to the library meet then just stay at home you crusty waster. I hate people just chatting in the library for the sake of it. Fine if you're asking friends questions but if not, just shut up. Exam times are stressful enough without dossers making noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Gwan do it, sure whats the worst that could happen?!!

In for a penny, in for a pound

Faint heart never won fair lady

Just do it

Max Power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Yeah one time there was a girl who left her purse on the computer beside where I was, I handed it in at the information desk and she got it back she was quite pleased with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

racist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

I love library romance!!!
    OP, you are not crazy...go for it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Yip, it was racist - meant or not.
    The fact that thought it was even relevant!! Would you have said "this fat/small/skinny girl"? No, cos it's irrelevant, just like her skin colour.

Chakar wrote:
    Yeah one time there was a girl who left her purse on the computer beside where I was, I handed it in at the information desk and she got it back she was quite pleased with that.

You were saying...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Weird I was just looking at your profiles in the birthday section. Do you have 2 profiles? Theres DirkVoodoo and Dirk Voodoo.

Anyway, what would you say to the girl? (or sorry, you're "friend":D ). I would feel stupid tbh honest just walking up to a girl and saying "HI"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I know of a certain regular contributor to boards and UCD forum in particular who did such a thing and it blew up in his face! Just a caveat! You don't want to come over all stalker on someone who you have to sit beside for an extended period of weeks to come!

• Advertisement

Agreed, just pat their ass and see if they giggle.

I wouldn't do that if I didn't know the girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Every guy in this country thinks about this sort of thing at some point but no one ever does anything about it.

We're a socially arseways country. In the US I imagine this thing goes on quite a bit but over here we're a victim of Ireland's social stigmas.

If there ain't alcohol involved romance doesn't blossom over here.

Sad but true. (I'm a softie at heart)

Every guy in this country thinks about this sort of thing at some point but no one ever does anything about it.

We're a socially arseways country. In the US I imagine this thing goes on quite a bit but over here we're a victim of Ireland's social stigmas.

If there ain't alcohol involved romance doesn't blossom over here.

Sad but true. (I'm a softie at heart)

Too much raw truth there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

i've randomly approached people in the library before. it's fun.

How did that go? Did they stare at you blankly?

well you can't just pop up out of nowhere, you have to get the eye contact going first, and if that goes well you throw in a smile, and if you start getting smiles back you can start talking. and you only talk to them for about a minute and you don't introduce yourself - if they want to know who you are, they'll ask! this process has to be drawn out over about a week though.

rain on wrote:
    well you can't just pop up out of nowhere, you have to get the eye contact going first, and if that goes well you throw in a smile, and if you start getting smiles back you can start talking. and you only talk to them for about a minute and you don't introduce yourself - if they want to know who you are, they'll ask! this process has to be drawn out over about a week though.

Yeah bit of work and a lot of looking for the person and that.Might work in the lectures though.

Chakar wrote:
    Yeah bit of work and a lot of looking for the person and that.Might work in the lectures though.
    yeah i guess postgrads are at an advantage cos there's a limited number of us - you get to recognise nearly everyone who uses the postgrad section of the library after a while. and then you get put invigilating with them and in a fit of sheer boredom you confide your darkest secrets and then you wonder how you'll ever face the library again. but hey ho.

Ah well might enjoy that in a few years.btw you seem to be a expert in that have you done it alot? And it worked?

• Advertisement

Chakar wrote:
    Ah well might enjoy that in a few years.btw you seem to be a expert in that have you done it alot? And it worked?
    no i've only started doing it in the last few months.. and it's worked to an extent.. as in i've made new mates and stuff which is nice. no library riding for me though ;)

yet.

Best of luck with that!!

Another thing that happens is when you're sitting beside a girl and she keeps turning her head to look at you thats a total giveaway and then she's at her laptop clicking away sending texts on vodafone.ie and posting comments on Bebo.I look at her every now and then.When I get up to go, she gets up and walks very quickly out of my sight.I can understand her intentions but her tactics aren't good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

go for it! just cause it didnt work for one person doesnt mean it wont work for someone else!! i think its so cute, takes a lot of guts and the worst that can happen is they say no or that they have a boyf/girlfriend. if u never try u can never find out!!! the library is pretty amazing for hotties too. there is one guy in particular that was in the law section when i was studying....swoon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Ok, maybe its exam craziness setting in or maybe im just bored and should really be studying, but...

Is it ok for someone, say a friend of mine, to approach a complete stranger in the library and have a chit chat cuz u fancy them? Im just wondering, because the library seems like a really great place for people to meet, full of books about interesting topics like law and physics, etc. Its a breeding ground (Bad choice of words?) for relationships.

Anyways, i think im crazy, please confirm this for me. Also, to that girl that i stare at longingly on the top floor, my apologies.

Yes go for it. I met my ex in a library when i first started college 8 years ago. i fancied him fo ages but was so shy. My mate broke the ice and i started talking to him over soething trivial like a history essay and gradually we became an item. It didn't last but we are now best friends.
    who says a library is a boring place to meet someone fun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Puppies and lollipops work too... just don't mix them up.

*spits out puppy hairs*

I always found putting the leash on my lollipop alerted me to my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

we have all done some Libroflirting . Im a demon for the librolove but like rain on no sex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

In honour of this thread I have decided that if i see 30gig guy (that's what i've named him) in the library today i'm going to say hello. Knowing my luck now i won't see him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

It basically boils down to how good looking you are.
    If a good looking girl goes up to a guy, he might be suprised but he'll try to make chat. Vice -versa to a lesser extent.
    If an ugly f***er tries it, the recipient will probably be shocked and think "freak".

Advertisement