Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library Romance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Ah now that's a bit cynical, isn't it possible that more attractive guys just have better personalities and it's just that sometimes we cant see this because they're hidden beneath layers of insecurity which only girls can see through because they're deeper and more mature. Honestly the cynicism of some people:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

In honour of this thread I have decided that if i see 30gig guy (that's what i've named him) in the library today i'm going to say hello. Knowing my luck now i won't see him.
    Likewise with skater guy on the top floor - haven't seen him at all today though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Well you're obviously a girl:D .
    But you're argueing that good looks = good personality. Hidden or not, i don't think such a arguement stands up.
    The reason you will talk to him is nothing to do with you knowing that under it all you know he's got a great personality. You have never spoken to him before! More likely the reason is cos "he's hot".

I presume you're refering to me, I really have to start putting the old [sarcasm] tags around my posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I thought the sarcasm pretty obvious humbert! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

He's sitting in front of me whilst I'm seated at this computer - tried to like say hi but didn't really work. Feck it world you twart me again.

"Hotness", like everything is subjective, people I find attractive, my friends for the most part, think nothing of and vice versa, people are attracted to a certain type of person, and generally the type of people i'm attracted to also tend to have similar personalities, could it not simple be that the look of a person i.e. what they were, how they walk etc, can tell much more than just how 'hot' or not they are?

edit: Humbert once again I have spotted you today.

Yea, it was. Didn't see the last post, sorry.
    Ah sarcasm, so rare from a woman - prob why i didn't see it there.:D:D
    I'm diggin, i know

I'm not a woman dude!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

cast_iron wrote:
    Yea, it was. Didn't see the last post, sorry.
    Ah sarcasm, so rare from a woman - prob why i didn't see it there.:D:D
    I'm diggin, i know

dude seriously....humbert is a bloke :eek:

"Hotness", like everything is subjective, people I find attractive, my friends for the most part, think nothing of and vice versa, people are attracted to a certain type of person, and generally the type of people i'm attracted to also tend to have similar personalities, could it not simple be that the look of a person i.e. what they were, how they walk etc, can tell much more than just how 'hot' or not they are?
    There's that to it too, just to a lesser extent, i think.
    By and large, i think my theory would apply in most cases. In fact, i think most people wouldnt even consider it happening, so suprise would be the initial reaction. Maybe respond out of politeness.

• Advertisement

humbert wrote:
    I'm not a woman dude!!
    Lol, well that explains it then. :o Forgive me, i couldn't be bothered to look up who's who on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Wow, lots of replies and useful information. Its my birthday today (the big 23, or late-early twenties, or even gramps as some of my mates now call me!) so im givin the library a rest.

In response to Sangre's first reply, i was quite taken aback! I never really talk in the library unless its about a question or missing notes. I myself am in final year and have sat 6/12 of my exams and i cant stand when ppl talk. I hope you didnt picture me as some horny 1st year looking for a leg to hump by the photocopiers? Anyone who knows me knows that i go into the library, stick on my headphones (not buds, i hate earbuds!) and study...with the odd glance at the hot girl on the top floor!

There was a lot of positive ideas in that thread, ive always found it hard to judge a girls interest level, perhaps becasue of my hideously grotesque appearance, perhaps because my jokes all onvolve simpsons quotes, i dont know. However, i have noticed this girl glancing over at me every so often and thought 'hey, maybe i should go say hi and see what happens?'. Of course, i may be wrong and believe me, i have been before :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Oh, and as far as i know i have only ever had one board profile, i dont use it much tho, as u can see from my paltry posts per day ratio. We must find this imposter and led librocop interrogate him! (I believe it involves fluffy handcuffs and a lot of leather)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

I can't imagine doing this myself, just going up to a girl and chatting her up. What exactly would you ask even bemuses me, and i figure they'd just go wtf is going on here, and quietly slip away. Not that I dont spend a a lot of my time checkin gout girls in the library but thats the height of it for me alas.

I agree with whoever said Irish romances depend on drink, Ive rarely seen relationships develop otherwise, yeah there might be a lot of flirting, eye contact stuff going on before hand, but all very subtle and all depending on a oh were either smoking together alone, sitting beside eahc other in the bar type situation for it to really get off. Texts also play a part in speeding a lot of things up I have seen that before, but the library alas, I have only the books to love.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

scop wrote:
    I can't imagine doing this myself, just going up to a girl and chatting her up. What exactly would you ask even bemuses me, and i figure they'd just go wtf is going on here, and quietly slip away. Not that I dont spend a a lot of my time checkin gout girls in the library but thats the height of it for me alas.

I agree with whoever said Irish romances depend on drink, Ive rarely seen relationships develop otherwise, yeah there might be a lot of flirting, eye contact stuff going on before hand, but all very subtle and all depending on a oh were either smoking together alone, sitting beside eahc other in the bar type situation for it to really get off. Texts also play a part in speeding a lot of things up I have seen that before, but the library alas, I have only the books to love.

Irish romances depending on drink might be the norm but it doesn't mean there's no room for diverging from it. I've had 3 relationships and zero drinkies in my life!

Go for it Dirk!

I don't know about them depending on drink I think they depend far too heavily on circumstances, work, classes, etc. This may be because I do science but it would be better if it was more common to just to start talking to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

scop wrote:
    I can't imagine doing this myself, just going up to a girl and chatting her up. What exactly would you ask even bemuses me, and i figure they'd just go wtf is going on here, and quietly slip away.
    Nah you wouldn't do it like that! As rain-on has said you start off by smiling, making eye contact and saying "hi" as you walk past the girl.

Girl is then sitting there thinking "Oh God I must know him and I didn't say hi back, now I feel rude...but I don't know him, I've never seen him before, but he's saying hi to me so he must know me...or is he just being nice? He must be! Ah God he likes me! Okay em what do I do now...should I go up to him or just play it cool...no I'll wait and see what happens...see if he comes up again"

Naturally about 20 minutes later you walk past her again and again say "hi" with a smile, and this time she'll probably say hi back and then just work on it from there!

Disclaimer: I'm only going with what my reactions would be if I guy did it to me - They may not be the same as those of every other girl in the world so be warned!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

I think as people get older they can find less... sober methods of meeting people of the opposite sex. God knows i have. It seems the older i get the narrower my social network becomes (yeah yeah yeah sound like im up my own ass).

Forced to agree with scop in a lot of ways. But i have randomly talked to girls in the library, unfortunately if u want it to go anywhere its a really long drawn out process, you could start in september and it'll be exams in may before you find out she actually has a boyfriend all along but likes you as a friend. what a jip.

But that said, you could have a conversation in the library and then ask the person to lunch or something, "hey i was gonna grab some food but all my friends are busy, wanna come" something like that.

still its nice to day dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

A dream a day keeps reality at bay!

Hey, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. (And more embarrassed, but you're a final year - you never have to use the library again, remember!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Blush_01 wrote:
    A dream a day keeps reality at bay!

For some reason I read that as "a dream a day keeps beastiality away" . What an odd mind I have.

But on topic if you want libroroyden ya have to start with "Hi" not by rubbing your legs and grinning as I have seen at least one boardsie do

• Advertisement

i thought we werent gonna talk about that... sexy as it was

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Eww. Grimes, you never manage to avoid disgusting me.

I think the idea of a library romance is kind of cute tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Ah, but think about it. That cute girl/guy you see in the library most days, the one that catches your eye when you're supposed to be working : do you want her or is it the fantasy of her that keeps you going? I mean, if there's one you see quite often, there is the whole "person in your mind" issue, where even completely unintentionally you'll have created a personality for them in your mind. then, who knows, she could turn around and have a great big offaly accent- AND THEN WHAT DO YOU DO?!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

Its like when your trapped over a no fly zone, and the migs are closing in, and your buddy is yelling in your ear "EJECT, EJECT! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ICEMAN, EJEEEECT!!!" your pullin the cord but nothings happening.......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Goose?! GOOOSSEEE!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

*throws dogtags into ocean*

ummm... all good points Crash old-buddy-old-pal [que porky pig impression] the big offaly accent doesnt bother me, i've gone out with muckers in the past. the whole "person in ur head" thing is a bit of a problem though if you become infatuated with them from afar. then the person never lives up to what you imagine them to be.

once or twice in a lifetime they might. but they'll probably be the ones you never talk to.

Ive gone out with a mucker , still awaiting my blue peter badge but anyway there is only one way to find out if she has an Offally accent or not and thats to go up and try and impress her. There are lots of girls in UCD, statistically one would have to say yes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Chakar wrote:
    Yeah one time there was a girl who left her purse on the computer beside where I was, I handed it in at the information desk and she got it back she was quite pleased with that.

Hmm Humbert remind you of someone.......:)

There used to be a mad stalker guy up on the top floor of the library called Pat who asked EVERY girl in medicine for her number in the library. He has turned me off library romances for good.
    My advice would be to leave a note on her desk when she goes for a break and leave your phone number on it. Im sure she'll be intrigued enough to call. Unless your Brad Pitt Dont go up to her cos it will be just a bit intimidating and akward if she doesnt fancy you back. Leaving a secret note is the way forward...Girls love a bit of mystery

• Advertisement

Scraggs and I left a secret love note on some randomer's desk in the library just before the exams. It was romance of course and went somthing like this.

Meet me in the Libroshack in 5 minutes
    Librocop

Didn't get to see the face on yer man / yer woman when they got back to their desk .

Advertisement