Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melvins

• 21-05-2006 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Any fans? Ive been listening to them quite a lot recentely and i am really liking them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Yes. I likes them a lot.

Here comes John2 :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

love The Melvins as well, great band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dave_lee_roth

their early albums are great ..houdini ,stoner witch,stag, after that their albums are unlistenable.singles 1-12 and honky are a joke,they are taking the p**s for sure.but those other albums rock like f**k.check out houdini on http://mycokemusic.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dave_lee_roth

the later melvins albums are like fantomas,another major disappointment:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Black hole sun

Fantomas are the reason i started to listen to them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Doctor J wrote:
    Yes. I likes them a lot.

Here comes John2 :p

Heheh, I am that predictable.
    their early albums are great ..houdini ,stoner witch,stag, after that their albums are unlistenable.singles 1-12 and honky are a joke,they are taking the p**s for sure.but those other albums rock like f**k.check out houdini on http://mycokemusic.com

I think the major label stuff is great but the later albums are far from unlistenable. Hostile Ambient Takeover is as good as anything they've ever done. Same with the collaboration with Lustmord and the first Jello Biafra CD. Yes they're weird but no weirder than the likes of "Spread Eagle Beagle" from Houdini. Of course if you're not into Fantomas, I can see why you wouldn't like newer Melvins stuff.

Personally I think that the Melvins are one of the best bands ever. I highly recommend all of the albums dave_lee_roth mentioned as an introduction to their music. Houdini is a masterpiece. If you likes what you hears then I can also recommend Bullhead and Melvins from their earlier years (Melvins was originally called Lysol but they were sued, just look for the Indian!) and Hostile Ambient Takeover, The Maggot, The Crybaby and the collaborations with Lustmord and Jello Biafra from their later career. There's absolutely tons of material out there (even at about fifteen albums there's still loads I'm missing) and most of it is excellent.

Also, for fans of both Fantomas and Melvins, check out the Millenium Monsterwork 2000 live album with both bands playing together. Recording quality is a little ropey but it's a good disc nonetheless.

Advertisement