Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IM new and need help, .22???????

Options
  • 21-05-2006 6:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Im new as me name suggests im lookin at sorts of rifles for some mid range (60 - 200yrds) rabbit/fox shootin. Just got a shotgun, love it to pieces, its a Beretta AL391. Love shootin it but its a killer when i cant get in close for the shot it just doesnt have the range. I had no problem getting the shotgun licence so Ive been lookin at all sorts of rifles on the internet in
    .223, .22-250, .22mag, .22 hornet and .22lr dont neccessarily have to buy a new rifle second hand is just the same. Im in north/mid Leinster so anyone know anywhere good/cheapish have €1000 for the rifle/scope and price of bullets is playin a BIG factor, if i can get a second hand package ill be real happy :D
    Brnos are good,lookin at some Rugers too!!!! Does anyone know where you can or if you can get winchester and weatherby rifles in leinster?

Any help, ideas welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Hi Newby,

I've a Tikka Varmint SS in .223 on order. The guy to ask around here about .223's and foxes is Keelan ;) Gave me lots of great advice so far :D Ammo is good value too.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Hello Newbie.204
    If you are looking for a bit of all round shooting and for something with a bit of punch to it i would definatly suggest a .223 a mate of mine has a remington 700vssf in .223 and its a smashing little weapon for some pics ask Rovi he has one just like it.
    .223 are very accurate amd the ammo is for nothing somewhare around €9-12 for 20 rds. I have a .220Swift and the ammo is very expensive €2 per shot €40 for a box of 20 so .223 are very cheap compard to that!!
    Not sure where you are in leinster im south leinster near new ross graignamanagh so i have a choice between waterford or kilkenny both shops in waterford have a good selection of rifles if you get a chance to get to waterford drop into ether gene in shootin an fishen ib balbricken straite up when you cross the bridge 051 878007 or waterford shooting and angling centre unit u3b westgate retail park tramore road 051 844314 look for John
    he has a very good selection of .223's

Happy Shootin:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

newby.204 wrote:
    Im new as me name suggests im lookin at sorts of rifles for some mid range (60 - 200yrds) rabbit/fox shootin. Just got a shotgun, love it to pieces, its a Beretta AL391. Love shootin it but its a killer when i cant get in close for the shot it just doesnt have the range. I had no problem getting the shotgun licence so Ive been lookin at all sorts of rifles on the internet in
    .223, .22-250, .22mag, .22 hornet and .22lr dont neccessarily have to buy a new rifle second hand is just the same. Im in north/mid Leinster so anyone know anywhere good/cheapish have €1000 for the rifle/scope and price of bullets is playin a BIG factor, if i can get a second hand package ill be real happy :D
    Brnos are good,lookin at some Rugers too!!!! Does anyone know where you can or if you can get winchester and weatherby rifles in leinster?

Any help, ideas welcome

I have a CZ 527 .223 & find it excellent. It is also very accurate. It is zeroed to 200yds and takes down a fox in one shot. I use the Sako 55gr SP round & have no complaints with them either. For night use I have a scope mounted LightForce lamp. I don't get out much these nights but still have the occasional shoot. Keelan would have more info for you..

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Trojan i love the look of that rifle, every time i see it i jus want the licence for mine to go through all the quicker

A .22lr wouldn't take a fox at 200 yards would it???

Vegeta wrote:
    Trojan i love the look of that rifle, every time i see it i jus want the licence for mine to go through all the quicker

No it would not!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Vegeta wrote:

No., I think he was on about the .223.

Here is my set up below, very similar, its a CZ .223 with light force scope mounted lamp, deadly combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

yeah id recomend a .223 or .22hornet a hornet would be a cheaper option with cheaper ammo costs depends on what you want it for really if its only a for smal vermin you could get away with a .17hmr but its wouldnt be much good on fox's at that range

there are other good varmint rounds but i dunno how popular they are in ireland things like a .17rem and .204 they're very fast accurate rounds but i think the two above would be the best option if your looking into deer shooting you'll need something bigger or if its just rabbits and fox and a deer every now and again a 22/250 would be a very good and accurate rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

What would a .223 do to a rabbit would it take him at short range?

maglite wrote:

Yes, but unless you shot it in the head, their would not be much to pick up:(

In attachment below, is a rabbit i took at 66yds and a rook i took at 223yds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

could you not get FMJ's or something that penetrates really well and that will just go straight through instead of making bits of it

if your looking to eat a hornet might be a better option i think they're pretty good out to 250 yards not certain though

• Advertisement

Keelan wrote:
    Yes, but unless you shot it in the head, their would not be much to pick up:(

In attachment below, is a rabbit i took at 66yds and a rook i took at 223yds.

oh that rabbit is in a bad way alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Keelan wrote:
    the fox was shot at around 10 yds, came straight at me threw the fog.
    Am I a bad person because I now have a mental image of Uncle Jimbo and Ned out of South Park?-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recurring_South_Park_characters#Jimbo_Kern_and_Ned_Gerblansky

Rovi wrote:
    Am I a bad person because I now have a mental image of Uncle Jimbo and Ned out of South Park?-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recurring_South_Park_characters#Jimbo_Kern_and_Ned_Gerblansky

lol....they're coming right for us.....BOOM

Vegeta wrote:

A .22lr would not drop a fox at 200. I wouldn't recommend using a .22lr on a fox at all. I must upgrade that pic should have used a flash to bring up the woodwork :D

I hope you have as much enjoyment as I do with my rifle when your licence comes through, all the best...

TJ911...

maglite wrote:

I have shot a few rabbits at approx 120-150yds with the .223 and it literally cuts them in half (as Keelans pics show).

TJ911...

PS: Nice shooting Keelan (The complimentary fox was a bonus) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

hey lads, was havin probs with my server, im wondering does anyone know where in north leinster i can get second hand rifles. I am particularly interested in .223 winchester, savage, weatherby, Brno and mausers. any name/numbers would be great help. Would a .22hornet or .22magnum be effective for fox/rabbits at 60 - 200yrds???

newby.204 wrote:
    Would a .22hornet or .22magnum be effective for fox/rabbits at 60 - 200yrds???

A .22 Hornet is effective up to 200yds max, if zeroed 1 inch high at 100 yds, with Hornady 35 gr V.Max.

.22 Magnum, has a max range of 120 yds and should only be used on foxes at close ranges, at around 80 yds max.

After some editing, i have put attachments of my fox culling sucsess in attachments below.
    All taken in the months of December, January and Febuary.
    Using my trusty CZ 527 .223 and American Eagle 50 gr Hallow point factory ammo, at 12 Euro a box of 20.;)

WARNING:THE ATTACHMENTS BELOW CONTAID CULLED FOXES. FOR THE SENSETIVE FOLKS OUT THEIR, IF YOU DONT LIKE TO SEE HUMANELY CULLED FOXES, DONT LOOK.

Here is a couple of foxes taken at dawn in fabuary. On this particular land, the farmer lost 9 lambs to foxes.

Good results here with my CZ .22lr and permited parker hale moderator.
    This fox wlked right into me and i culled her at around 10yds, it was foggy.
    I find the Winchester subsonics, fantastic.;)

• Advertisement

maglite wrote:

You should see what a .220swift does to a rabbit @200yds all you see trough the scope is a whiteish red puff as you squeze the trigger!!

as for a fox its worse than what that .223 done to that rabbit:eek:
    then sometimes it will do very little damage i suppose its weather the bullet hits bone or not..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Keelan wrote:
    A .22 Hornet is effective up to 200yds max, if zeroed 1 inch high at 100 yds, with Hornady 35 gr V.Max.

.22 Magnum, has a max range of 120 yds and should only be used on foxes at close ranges, at around 80 yds max.

I reckon ill take your advice then Keelan and settle on .223
    You have been a great help, i like the look of your rifle/scope setup, ive been browsin at some Brnos but wasnt sure, you may have swung me towards pickin up a Brno in .223.

newby.204 wrote:
    I reckon ill take your advice then Keelan and settle on .223
    You have been a great help, i like the look of your rifle/scope setup, ive been browsin at some Brnos but wasnt sure, you may have swung me towards pickin up a Brno in .223.

Thats great. They are good rifles for the money.
    Let us know how you get on with the application.

Keelan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I like the look of the CZ 527 range....anyone have any comments on these...the CZ 527 carbine retails in Wal-Mart in the US at €400 (equivalent :eek: )
    I'd like to buy a rifle but i've no money at the mo <sniff-sniff>..figured I'd just keep up-to-date on what was available (in case I win the lotto or a rich relative I don't no about dies :D )
    That said I'd still be torn between a .22Mag or .22lr or .223
    .223 sounds lovely for foxes but if I spent that much on a rifle I'd need to use for more than just after foxes and I don't like the prospect of having to run away from rabbits to try and shoot them :p .........The fields are so small around North Galway/Mayo (thats me) methinks a 100yd range would almost suffice even for foxes
    Would a magnum seem more feasible at that rate ?
    I think it would be acurate and have sufficient power at 100yds to take down a fox first shot ?

spideog7 wrote:
    I like the look of the CZ 527 range....anyone have any comments on these...the CZ 527 carbine retails in Wal-Mart in the US at €400 (equivalent :eek: )
    I'd like to buy a rifle but i've no money at the mo <sniff-sniff>..figured I'd just keep up-to-date on what was available (in case I win the lotto or a rich relative I don't no about dies :D )
    That said I'd still be torn between a .22Mag or .22lr or .223
    .223 sounds lovely for foxes but if I spent that much on a rifle I'd need to use for more than just after foxes and I don't like the prospect of having to run away from rabbits to try and shoot them :p .........The fields are so small around North Galway/Mayo (thats me) methinks a 100yd range would almost suffice even for foxes
    I think it would be acurate and have sufficient power at 100yds to take down a fox first shot ?

I think a .17 hmr ( Hornady Magnum Rimfire), would match your needs well, as you will be shooting bunnys too.
    I think personally, its a great biginners round, who wants to shoot foxes at 100yds max and bunnys on a regular basis.
    If, you are shooting mainly foxes at that range, then the .22 Hornet would be better. But from what you have discribed, the .17 hmr would be a good choice.;)
    Links below about the .17 HMR:

http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/17HMR.htm

http://www.rimfiremagic.co.uk/17hmr_rifles.htm

http://shootersolutions.com/17hmr.html

As you can see, its a very popular caliber in the right hands.

Frank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

spideog7 wrote:
    The fields are so small around North Galway/Mayo (thats me) methinks a 100yd range would almost suffice even for foxes
    You could be an ideal candidate for a Sako Quad, with 2 barrels: .22lr and .17HMR or .22WMR.
    http://www.sako.fi/quad_main.html
    http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featured_rifles/sako_092005/index.html

Currently, each extra barrel has to be licenced in its own right. This may change when the legislation finally gets amended.
    Get the .22lr first, and add calibres/barrels as finances allow.

Advertisement