Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bt port monitoring

• 21-05-2006 7:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

I am currently with eircom with the 2 mb home package but want to change to because I feel I am being ripped off price wise .I was considering signing up with Bt as it is an attractive price with the inclusive line rental.

My question is this , I ve heard that BT throttle back the speed of ports if they notice high trafic on some ports . You guessed it I'm talking about Bittorrent 6881 - 6889 . I use Bittor quite a bit so and dont fancy losing the service . I actually spoke to a guy a few months ago who received a phone call from BT encouraging him to stop using BT or he would be cut off . Anybody know anything about this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

BT don't throttle any ports or traffic type and regular torrent users don't use ports 6881 - 6889.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭cormon

kaizersoze wrote:
    BT don't throttle any ports or traffic type and regular torrent users don't use ports 6881 - 6889.

regular Bittor users do use 6881-6889 . This is obviously configurable client side but the default ports are 6881-6889 . I presume you have bt broadband and have not noticed any restrictions which is a good sign .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

My torrents also run fine with BT, but I'm not using the default ports. As the kaiser suggested, pick your own range.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

You are recommended NOT to use port 6881, see http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/index.php/Port_is_blacklisted for an explanation

"ISPs have been increasingly reducing the available bandwidth for P2P users on the standard file-sharing port ranges. To avoid a decreasing Average Swarm Speed, some tracker administrators are banning these often throttled standard ports. This includes the standard port range of 6881-6999."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭cormon

cheers for the link and suggestions . I think I ll be changing to BT so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭dubmick

but is it worth the hassle?

I changed to BT from Eircom and they are a pain in the hole. See all the other threads on BT.

Advertisement