Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polystyrene/Styrofoam

Options
  • 21-05-2006 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

These are both the same thing yeah? Where would I get a 5mm sheet on a Sunday? Are they available in Woodies and the likes for use as insulation? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

Americans call polystyrene styrofoam. Thats when it's expanded polystyrene. You can get it in clear form like perspex, it tends to be rigid and of no insulation value.
    Expanded polystyrene is not usually available in sheets so thin, the thinnest is about about 20 - 25mm. The insulation value of 5mm sheet would be very modest. Extruded polystyrene or polyurathane sheet would have a higher value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

You can get 5mm polystyrene but it's usually for ceiling tiles so small maybe 1' x 1'.

12.5mm is available in bigger sheets though not too easy to find

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

thanks for the replies. I got a 12mm sheet in Woodies, luckily it was about 10mm though, had to get out my tape and look for the thinnest one:) It wasn't for insulation, just to support something:)

Advertisement