Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing lawnmower engine oil

Options
  • 21-05-2006 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭

Have a 4-stroke Briggs & Stratton engine in my lawnmower and I think its probably due a change. Anyone know what grade of oil they take? Normal car engine oil?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Hi, you are better off to go to your local garage/garden center and buy the oil there, i think its a bit different than normal car oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

i use fully synthethic car oil 5w grade for petrol engines. i think its 5w-30 or possibly 40.
    ive used it in a briggs quantum for 5 years and it runs sweet as a nut. absolutely no wear at all no smoke nothing, starts first time.
    lawnmower oil is a different grade, i dont know the difference but personally i think ul find fully synth car oil is cheaper and better quality than some lawnmower oil.
    i def wouldnt use normal 15w car oil though ..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I use Castrol lawnmower oil. My mower (Briggs & Stratton) drains thru the fill plug - I've never done this tbh, I just top up the oil regularly as it seems to burn a wee bit. I imagine to drain it you would have to tilt the mower on it's side which could prove messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I have a B&S mower too and it has no oil drain plug.
    So you have to tilt it sideways to get the oil out and naturally the petrol gets all over the place too. A right mess.

Truely awful design!

The result is the oil doesn't get changed too often

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Reyman wrote:
    I have a B&S mower too and it has no oil drain plug.
    So you have to tilt it sideways to get the oil out and naturally the petrol gets all over the place too. A right mess.

Truely awful design!

The result is the oil doesn't get changed too often
    My filler plug has "Fill/Drain" written on it. Some sort of suction device would be handy but it would probably cost as much as the mower. I find it easier and cleaner to let it the oil burn off and keep topping up. I suppose not changing the oil will have detrimental long term effects..................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭BrianD3

We've got a Honda mower, I change the oil once per year and use Castrol Lawnmower 4 stroke oil. Previously my da was looking after the maintenance and it was never done right, any old sh1t oil that was lying around got chucked into in, it was usually way overfilled too. Still the mower is 18 years old and runs as sweet as the day it was got and doesn't burn a drop of oil.

Advertisement