Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colleges?

Options
  • 21-05-2006 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

Not to sure wer to post this so if anyone does please move it.
    Doing the LC in less then 3 weeks and wondering which college I shud go to.

UK
    Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh (H24)
    qualification
    Computer Science (Software Engineering) (G600)
    4FT Hon BSc

University of Wales Institute, Cardiff (C20)
    qualification
    Software Development (G600)
    3FT Hon BSc

Ireland - All software engineering/programming
    Maynooth
    Cork - UUC
    Cork IT
    Limerick
    NCI
    Dundalk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

As a UL man myself Id vote for UL. If you want more info on the coarse itself visit the UL forum and they'll help you out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

How in the name of God can you expect a random stranger to make such a life-changing decision for you based on a few random stats you've posted on an internet forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

You're thinking of doing Software Engineering and you've not put down DCU?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

I don't see anything from Dublin there but yet your willing to go to the UK?

I am doing Comp Sci in UCD and it's fantastic just finishing off second year, if ya want any info feel free to pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

How in the name of God can you expect a random stranger to make such a life-changing decision for you based on a few random stats you've posted on an internet forum?

I wud just like to see what people views r on the colleges & the courses. Not goin 2 pick the one you said.

UCD ect point wer 2 high & the others involved business.

EDIT: I didnt but up all of the colleges. Still thinkin of added in 1 r 2 more. Been thinkin for the last few weeks about what to put down.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Points in DCU too high? 300?

And you're not doing anything that involves some level of business education? Better take a look at all those courses pal, because there's no computing course in the world worth it's salt that won't give you some grounding in where your knowledge will actually be applicable.

Guess where?

Business!

Bit ironic that I am doing higher level business at school but I have no interest in it wat so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

dont discount dit if its comp sci/ programmin u want and ur worried about points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

mate if you cant make 300 you're in serious trouble, when i started UCD was 310 and half the class of 50 is gone already, and more will be gone at the start of next year, I don't wanan scare ya but it was more acurate when the points were 465.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

i shudda done comp sci ----460

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

vote for UL again.

First year is both Comp systems and Computer Games Tech...you do a broader range of stuff than what I would have done.

Oh..and points are generally low to get the numbers back up I think.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Points in UL are around the 300 mark. Lots of maths involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

kaimera wrote:
    Oh..and points are generally low to get the numbers back up I think.
    I thought it had to do with supply and demand?

zap wrote:
    mate if you cant make 300 you're in serious trouble, when i started UCD was 310 and half the class of 50 is gone already, and more will be gone at the start of next year, I don't wanan scare ya but it was more acurate when the points were 465.

I need 325 for maynooth!! I will have a look into DCU again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Definately DCU or UL for software engineering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Eamoss surely the great EP O'Boyle can guide you?

Very hard to take his op, seein that he want me 2 go to DKIT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

cooperguy wrote:
    As a UL man myself Id vote for UL. If you want more info on the coarse itself visit the UL forum and they'll help you out

UL has Electronic Engineering and Computer Engineering in the Informatics department....but AFAIK no Software Engineering.....Comp Eng != Soft Eng!!!!

If you dont want a BEng and a BSc will do then there are a lot of programming courses there.

EDIT:
    Just saw you viewed 300 points as too high.....stay away from any course offering BEng qualification as they have C3 in Math as a prerequisite for entry and realistically the points allocated to most technical courses are a joke these days and in no way represent the difficulty of the course!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

there's a lot of these threads around and almost all of them forget about DIT kevin street, it's making me think did i pick the wrong course like?

eamoss wrote:
    I wud just like to see what people views r on the colleges & the courses. Not goin 2 pick the one you said.

UCD ect point wer 2 high & the others involved business.

EDIT: I didnt but up all of the colleges. Still thinkin of added in 1 r 2 more. Been thinkin for the last few weeks about what to put down.
    Fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

In my day you got what you were given in the CAO, does it not work like that any more, I don't think you can just pick a college?

More to the point its a decision you should make yourself.

zuma wrote:
    UL has Electronic Engineering and Computer Engineering in the Informatics department....but AFAIK no Software Engineering.....Comp Eng != Soft Eng!!!!

If you dont want a BEng and a BSc will do then there are a lot of programming courses there.

EDIT:
    Just saw you viewed 300 points as too high.....stay away from any course offering BEng qualification as they have C3 in Math as a prerequisite for entry and realistically the points allocated to most technical courses are a joke these days and in no way represent the difficulty of the course!!!!

I never said that 300 points would be too high. I need 325 for my 1st choice. I am saying around 400 is too high for me.

As for the Math I am hoping to get a A2 in OL maths but prob will only get a B2.

TheGooner wrote:
    In my day you got what you were given in the CAO, does it not work like that any more, I don't think you can just pick a college?

More to the point its a decision you should make yourself.
    You can pick what you'd like and list your choices on the CAO in order of preference. Then just hope to **** you get what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

eamoss wrote:
    I never said that 300 points would be too high. I need 325 for my 1st choice. I am saying around 400 is too high for me.

As for the Math I am hoping to get a A2 in OL maths but prob will only get a B2.

Cant do BEng(4 years) courses then Im afraid as they generially require C3's in Higher Maths at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Cremo wrote:
    there's a lot of these threads around and almost all of them forget about DIT kevin street, it's making me think did i pick the wrong course like?

i think it's more to do with dit not being a university, or even having a single-campus (as it were)... so it's reputation is a bit muddled and diluted.

but it's not a bad place for a course... in fact a degree from dit is worth the couple of years work. but that sentiment goes around most third level institutes in ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Catney

UL all the way. From what i gather its well respected, I used to go down there quite a bit, great social life down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

Yeah I did computer eng in UL would defo vote for it after visiting friends in other colleges around the country at the time.

I think its the fact that everything including students accomodation are on a massive self contained campus.... outside limerick.... (unlike say trinity etc which are spread throughout dublin etc)

There is great soclial and acedemic life down there rather than a weight on one or the other...

Would recommend it to anyone...

-Al

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

deffo DCU or UL, best software engineering courses in the country

i'm finishing off 2nd year DCU now, tough course, hope your willing to put in the work or you'll be asking this same question next year

check out DCU-CA here

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Edinburgh's a fantastic city. I don't know much about Herriot-Watt though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

eamoss wrote:

Would you not be a bit worried about doing computer-y type courses in college when you don't even have higher-level maths? Most of them do involve maths of some kind. The points really don't reflect the difficulty level of courses, just the (relatively) low demand.

Advertisement