Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genuine query regarding the travelling community

Options
  • 21-05-2006 1:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Do homosexual travellers exist?

And if so would they be accepted by their own community?

Given that a lot of travellers appear to be right-wing Catholics (no sex before marriage, no contraception) I would imagine that homosexual members would be outcasts.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Of course homosexual travellers exist. There was one was a regular poster on Gaire.
    I suppose they're as accepted by their community as any of us are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭New_Departure06

Well I have heard that Travellers are far more strict religiously and as such I dunno what sort of time gay guys therein would get regarding tolerance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'd say they're very religious although some mightn't know the 8th commandment.

In college I passed a halting site every day and they'd always bless themselves as they passed the local Church

But then, lots of settled people do this also

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

I could name at least a dozen traveller men that have had intercourse with male children, mostly ones they were related to. The "community" in general didn't seem too bothered about this activity.

I am not sure though, would this be classified as homosexual behaviour or just acting as a good catholic?

Working in social services was such fun. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Oh jesus, who moved an After Hours thread here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Dear god, could this be dumped, or at least stripped of most of the posts.

Moved most of the posts to the Recycle Bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

John R wrote:
    I could name at least a dozen traveller men that have had intercourse with male children, mostly ones they were related to.
    That would make them paedophiles not gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

NO its not tolerated at all from what i hear...
    Probably the most homophobic community!!!
    actually heard one guy who was sicks trvellers in his bar (ye i no...discrimination bla b;la...i dont agree personally!)
    so he changed it to a gay bar and hey presto they dissappereared for good!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

thats a great idea. lets use homosexuality as a social scarecrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I know of one gay traveller...pretty hot I have to say... often wondered does he invite fellas back to de haltin site after a good nite out? lol

thats a great idea. lets use homosexuality as a social scarecrow.

Indeed. Homosexuals emit an irritating high frequency sound that only bigots can hear. This stops the bigots from congregating in your area. Scientists believe the sound may have originally functioned as a mating call.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

fletch wrote:
    I know of one gay homosexual guyl

As compared to a straight homosexual guy or a gay heterosexual guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Well, out of all people, a majority of itinerants are extremelly homophobic. There used to be one in my year and he used to bully me a lot because I'm gay. One day, he stole a small hacksaw from the Woodwork room and threatened to cut my penis off as he said he believed in ridding the world of "sinful" people (i.e. homosexuals in his view). This came from a fella who stabbed sombody a while back, did a raid in the local shop and has gotten away with all of this because the police won't go near the travellers. Of course, I ran away and got him suspended for a week which I think he should have been expelled and locked up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

damien.m wrote:
    As compared to a straight homosexual guy or a gay heterosexual guy?
    lol sorry...post edited

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

UU wrote:
    Well, out of all people, a majority of itinerants are extremelly homophobic. There used to be one in my year and he used to bully me a lot because I'm gay. One day, he stole a small hacksaw from the Woodwork room and threatened to cut my penis off as he said he believed in ridding the world of "sinful" people (i.e. homosexuals in his view). This came from a fella who stabbed sombody a while back, did a raid in the local shop and has gotten away with all of this because the police won't go near the travellers. Of course, I ran away and got him suspended for a week which I think he should have been expelled and locked up!

Your indepth research certainly backs up your statement, that's for sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

any update on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

The guy who played Blackie Connors mate in Glenroe was gay in real life (and a traveller).

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Do homosexual travellers exist?

Yes
    And if so would they be accepted by their own community?

Given that a lot of travellers appear to be right-wing Catholics (no sex before marriage, no contraception) I would imagine that homosexual members would be outcasts.

I think that the travelling community wouldn't a lot of the time accept it but in some cases they would.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement